Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Cheapest and easiest way to turn a domb turbo trainer in to a smart one
  • blader1611
    Free Member

I have an elite novo force turbo that i really want to train on but i would like to do it to a plan and be able to see any progress. I think the only way is to use trainerroad or similar but i want to smarten up the turbo. I have a sigma 16.12sts bike computer which has a cadence sensor which i could use as something to measure against but i am sure its not bluetooth or ant+. Am i best buying an ant+ device or something else? Not sure what program i am going to use but probably trainerroad or similar, open to suggestions. I just want to get a bit fitter, its not for racing or anything.

Olly
    Free Member

Ive wondered if it would make a good Arduino project:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arduino

Learn some basic electronics (very very basic) and a bit of relatively simple coding and the world is your oyster. Couple of rotation sensors clipped onto the bike, output to an Excel spreadsheet or similar in real time. If the turbo has a resistance setting on it, you could hack it and mount a servo in there to adjust it on the fly. Have the arduino replicate/re-play a ride youve recorded off strava, turning the resistance up as your strava speed drops, to replicate the hill 😀

Thats not really what you were after was it?

monkeyboyjc

2nd hand garmin…?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I use my garmin and heart rate monitor. Cat eye on the rear wheel gives distance speed cadence etc. All in front TV in living room, use trainer DVDs or own work out to music

Turbo was free had garmin bought cat eye for under £20 I think

mrblobby
    Free Member

What do you want a “smart” trainer to do? Typically it means that the resistance is computer controlled in response to some program or app. Only want to do that is new turbo (unless as above you fancy a big electronics project!)

If you just want some sort of virtual power to train to then you could just do that from wheel speed (that’s all virtual power is doing anyway.)

CraigW
    Free Member

Just get a ANT+ speed/cadence sensor for the bike. Decathlon had one for about £17, not sure if they still have any. And a heart rate strap if you want.
    Plus a USB ANT+ dongle for your PC or tablet – seems to be plenty on Ebay for about £8.

For software, Golden Cheetah is free.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

The key is to have some form of entertainment while your on the bike. Long slow? Instead of sitting on the couch pedal for a couple hours whilst watching The Hunt For Red Omtober

scruff9252

Trainer road + decathlon speed / cadence sensor + ant+ hr monitor = Sorted.

hatter

If you have a more recent U.K spec novo force it’ll have slot on the roller for fitting a magnet, them you can use one of the elite misuro sensors to turn it into a smart trainer when paired with the elite app? Which does video courses, threshold tests, course creation etc etc.

The sensor stays on the trainer so it’s a much neater solution.

The older ones don’t have the mount for the magnet so can’t be used with this sensor.

blader1611
    Free Member

Hatter – that would be the ideal solution, i will have to check mine but it is about a year old. Thanks for the tips, i will check decathlon out..

blader1611
    Free Member

Looks like my turbo isnt compatible for adding the sensor too it. Cant find the cheap sensor on decathlon so i will look around for one, will just a cadence sensor be enough for trainerroad or sufferfest?
    All i am looking to do is have something that allows me to follow a plan but also challenges you to work harder as its just too easy to just pedal at the same cadence and avoid hard work. I need to have challenge/goal to stay on the turbo.

hatter

In which case you can still use a standard sensor.

Elite do then in Bluetooth and ANT+ versions.

Your LBS will be able to get one from Madison.

swampi
    Free Member

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ant-speed-rate-sensor-cycle-computer-accessory-id_8181211.html

Appear to be out of stock online,great bit of kit,if you want one mail me

trevorderuise
    Free Member

I’d be happy to answer any TrainerRoad questions you may have. Your trainer is supported under our Virtual Power, so all you would need is a speed/cadence sensor and then an ANT+ or Bluetooth dongle or key to plug into your iOS device or desktop computer, and you’ll be up and running, training with power. Check out this video for more info: https://www.trainerroad.com/how-it-works

Professional Mtb Racer & Community Manager at TrainerRoad – Cycling’s Most Effective Training Tool

blader1611
    Free Member

Swampi – do you have one of the decathlon ones or something similar? Definately interested.

Thanks trevor may take you up on that but your website was fairly comprehensive so i reckon i know what it is about and is very likely going to be my training partner of choice.

I cant find the cheap ant + dongles on ebay that somebody mentioned, can anyone point me in the right direction?

blader1611
    Free Member

I can see on amazon an ant+ dongle usb stick for £8 which it says is compatible with various garmin forerunners. Does this mean it can only be used with those devices or will it pick up any manufacturers ant+ sensors?

chrisr1983
    Free Member

ANT+ dongle
    Cadence & speed sensor
    Trainer road
    Sufferfest videos for entertainment/punishment.

Don’t need a garmin – only thing a garmin will do is track the virtual ride (which trainerroad does anyway). You can have trainer road re-broadcast the virtual power to the garmin too but again it’s just to track.

blader1611
    Free Member

Dont want a garmin, just need to know if ant + dongle can be tailored to work with specific devices or whether it works with any ant + protocol device? Will try and put a link up to the dongle i was reffering to.

blader1611
    Free Member

Ok will this combination work to enable me to use trainerroad or similar on my turbo? Both ant+ so i am assuming there are compatible together. Cheapest sensor i could find as decathlon are out of stock of theirs.

Sensor

Dongle

chrisr1983
    Free Member

Dongle – yes!
    Sensor – it’s just cadence. You need cadence and speed (well just speed really). I would highly recommend getting the Garmin speed & cadence sensor as it’s fit and forget. None of this having to line magnets up rubbish. It’s a bit more but massively worth it:
    Garmin speed sensor thing

blader1611
    Free Member

I may have put a wrong link on there but the bontrager one should be both speed and cadence. Ok will look at the garmin one.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Cheapest and easiest way to turn a domb turbo trainer in to a smart one’ is closed to new replies.