Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • cheaper fatbikes, for europe
  • scotroutes

And yet folk still choose to ride with no rear suspension, or completely rigid, with only one gear ratio, or even with funny shaped handlebars. If speed down “suitable” tracks was all that mountainbiking was about, none of these options would have survived.

campkoala – Member
    Is the mongoose available in the UK?

It would appear not.

HansRey

yeah, i don’t think that the mongoose is available in europe yet. I wondered if it would be sold in Asda’s, as seen they are a part of the walmart group, right?

as for using a fatbike in places without much snow or sand or soft ground, go for it! Sounds like a work out getting them airbourne, but why not try?

campkoala
    Free Member

Like I said Mr routes, I don’t care what people choose, simply giving honest un-rosetinted facts unlike monkeyp
    More likely toys r us Hans,(main mongoose dealer in uk)
    Emailed mongoose but no reply

campkoala
    Free Member

That is what we’re talking about

monkeyp

mleh – whatever – no point arguing about whose facts are the most factual.

I would read reviews on the Mongoose – seems very limited in terms of no brake mounts etc so it isn’t as if you can even upgrade.

If you build your own up from a Fatty frameset, be aware that one of the biggest expenses could be the chainset. I was extremely lucky and got one for £50, but be prepared to spend £150 to £200.

campkoala
    Free Member

Why would you need any moar brakes on it?

monkeyp

Er – no front brake and back pedal rear brake, that’s why!

bedmaker

Just for some balance, here’s a video featuring a couple of handy Spanish riders on spanking new Orange Bloods enjoying some superb Morrocan trails. Fast, rocky, gravelly and lovely.
    You might notice at the bottom of each descent there nearly always seems to be a guy on a fatbike there already 😉
    Maybe he was just pedalling realy hard to get those wheels rolling.

Nuestro viaje a Marruecos!!! animaros porque el 9 de Noviembre 2013 volvemos a vivirlo!!

Posted by David Perez Gagne on Wednesday, September 11, 2013

The problem with fatbike naysayers is they often form their opinions on a short tarmac spin.
    They are good on all offroad surfaces. FACT.

stuey
    Free Member

I’d wait a month(December) and get the on-one package with their new carbon forks – will be very hard to beat on VFM.

monkeyp

casually ignoring that muppet up there

Hansrey – the Mongoose is not a fat bike in terms of an off road machine. More of a fat cruiser. Yes, it is cheap, but I would hold out for something more suited for riding off road. As I say, it can be done cheaply depending on the depth of your spares bin. Aside from the frameset, wheels and cranks that is.

If you need any advice without the intervention of people who would rather you make a bad choice in order to prove their own point, then pop over to the fatbike forum 🙂

bedmaker

that video doesn’t have any decent riding in it.

You’re right, you win. I’m sorry for questioning your opinion.

campkoala
    Free Member

if the “muppet” wasn’t hitting a nerve with the truth why the need to revert to name calling

Unlike you, I don’t really care what choice he makes, I actually do want to buy that mongoose.

toys19
    Free Member

camkoala, this could be a pleasant thread with people exchanging their opinions on fat bikes..

epicyclo

campkoala – Member
    …I actually do want to buy that mongoose.

That one should confirm all your prejudgements about fatbikes. 🙂

It all depends what you call fast.

The ability to roll down hill fast? Speed on a climb?

Or the distance covered in a decent days ride.

I can compare my fatbike directly with other bikes I have owned.

It feels slower, yet both times I have ridden it in the ‘Puffer 24 hours, I have done a lap more than my previous best on a sub 20lb Ti 29er. (All solo rides, all on rigid singlespeeds, so the only difference is the fatbike is twice the weight and has fatter tyres).

And the bonus is that it goes places I have to carry my fancy bikes.

campkoala
    Free Member

How can I have a prejudgement after the fact?

Isn’t doing better in an annual race the whole aim? Otherwise why bother entering?

epicyclo

campkoala – Member
    How can I have a prejudgement after the fact?

Isn’t doing better in an annual race the whole aim? Otherwise why bother entering?

What fact? You haven’t got a fatbike yet, so your opinion can only be based on prejudgements.

Of course doing better is the aim. Why enter? – never heard of having fun?

But there is a fact – more distance covered in 24 hours on a heavy fatbike than on a lightweight bred for racing 29er (and I’m definitely not fitter).

campkoala
    Free Member

Ah, you think I haven’t ridden fatbikes?

Your experience at puffer is interesting but still doesn’t dispute any of the downsides mentioned

epicyclo

campkoala – Member
    Ah, you think I haven’t ridden fatbikes?

Your experience at puffer is interesting but still doesn’t dispute any of the downsides mentioned

Well that’s the prejudgement I have made based on your comments. 🙂

Perhaps you should elucidate.

I’m not disputing the downsides, I’m only too aware of them, but my experience at the ‘Puffer is just to demonstrate that ‘fast” can mean different things to different people, and my result there is a fact rather than opinion.

For me the ability to cover more ground in a given period is more important than the ability to have short bursts of high speed.

If you intend to ride only on trail parks or similar predictable surfaces, you don’t need a fatbike, but most people will find it enormous fun if they do. It’s also fun to ride a CX bike.

There are very few professional athletes amongst us, so surely fun is the whole point of riding a bike you pay for yourself?

And if your idea of fun is riding a pogo stick rather than a bike that’s perfectly valid too. Mmmm, I wonder if they make a fat pogo stick?

HansRey

*scouse accent* ‘calm down, calm down’.

if the mongoose was available and silly cheap, i’d get it. Be nice for a quick ride.

Good tip about the on-one getting a carbonfork upgrade in month. Thanks, I’ll look out for that.

Where i’m living, the forests are either bogs, full of snow or bone dry. For two of those three conditions, i’ll be quicker with a fat bike. Of course, i could put on some mahoosive 2.5” tyres on my regular bike, but that’d be a faff and mean i have to make some big changes to it in terms of spec.

So, back to the original question, besides OnOne, Kona, Charge and Nakamura, what else is out there?

toys19
    Free Member

So, back to the original question, besides OnOne, Kona, Charge and Nakamura, what else is out there?

2nd’ed

drofluf
    Free Member

Well there’s the old guard: Surly, Salsa, 9:Zero:7, Sandman, Muru (I think that they’ve been going a few years?)

Then the new kids on the block: Specialized, Trek, Singular, Genesis

HTH

mmannerr

You might find used ones in (.fi) here: http://www.fillaritori.com/index.php?/forum/4-maasto/
    There is a fair number of fatbikes around Helsinki and some first gen Pugsleys are at their 3rd or 4th owner. Salsa and Surly are available from local shops and Kona should easily available as well.

HansRey

the usual companies like salsa, surly, 9zero7, etc are great and available, but out of budget. There is a nice moonlander on the fillaritori forum, if someone has upwards of 2200e.

the genesis caribou looks nice, but too much mullah

the singular puffin looks great. Hopefully out for full release soon [video]https://d2pq0u4uni88oo.cloudfront.net/projects/672986/video-300009-h264_high.mp4[/video]

ciderinsport
    Free Member

HansRey, I’ve been looking at the same choices.

Have decided to go for the charge, although yet to get it! Mate has the on one and loves it!

I do like the look of the nakamura, just wish I good see one in the UK…

HansRey

when you get it, post up some pics 🙂

monkeyp

Hansrey – just seen that Merlin still have Truvativ Holtzfeller chainsets for £50. You will need a 100mm bb for it (about £30 from Germany), but it does come with a normal one you can sell on.

coastkid
    Free Member

“campkoala”

Troll…

Don`t feed the Trolls

Sounds like GW is back on STW 🙄

OP still looking for the Russia fatbikes! 🙂

HansRey

monkyp – wouldnt the spindle for the driveside crank need to be 100mm equivalent too?

monkeyp

They are splined cranks – i.e. 3 part crank where the spindle is part of the bb. It takes a Howitzer bb which is a downhill bike interface similar to ISIS.

monkeyp

Oh – and the fatty will take a 32 tooth chainring max.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘cheaper fatbikes, for europe’ is closed to new replies.