Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Cheaper alternative tablets to iPad mini?
  • choppersquad
    Free Member

Been thinking of buying a small tablet and was wondering whether there were any good alternatives to the iPad mini? I’ve had a look at the Google Nexus 7 but don’t really know what kind of things to be looking at? If anyone knows of any killer deals on larger tablets then that’d be ok too as I’m open to any suggestions.

paladin

I’ve got a nexus 7, ideal for me for travelling, fits in my pocket.

If I was wanting something to use mostly at home, I’d go for a 10″.

Apple is good, no question about that, I’ve got an iPod touch, but I wouldn’t have paid the premium for an iPad or mini.

GEDA
    Free Member

I got a nook hd after the screen on my nexus 7 broke. Upgrade it to play store and install a different loader, desktop what ever you call it and its great for 150. No camera or gps but it works for me.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jonba
    Free Member

Nexus 7 user. Been good for me. Don’t see many reasons why I’d want an iPad now.

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

+1 for the nexus 7, can’t beat it for £160, the new one is supposed to be even better but closer to £220.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nexus 7 & Version 2? Sold near to cost.

Unless there is something Apple Specific required then why bother.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

You might not find any deals on the old Nexus 7 as they’re most likely sold out now. The new Nexus 7 is meant to be great but I’d give it a few weeks to see if there are any issues with the first batch before buying.

choppersquad
    Free Member

In your opinions, would it be more sensible to spend the extra £49 on the 32gb Nexus 7 or would 16gb be enough? I’ll probably only use it for browsing and playing the odd game, or maybe reading books.

martymac

16gb is plenty for that imo.

nickdavies

Apple refurb store has ipad mini for 229 if that helps?

prawny

I had away on an Archos 80 titanium before I bought my ipad. It was fine in the shop only just over £100 too I prefer the screen shape of the ipad and Archos to the widescreen of the other 7inchers, it’s a bit more comfy for browsing. Decided to spend the extra in the end though.

cranberry
    Free Member

I’d suggest that you pick up the 32gb version of the Nexus 7 as tablets can’t be upgraded if your storage needs change in the future.

paladin

I got the 32Gig nexus as I put a few movies on it. The only way to add storage is with an otg cable and memory stick. Shame it didn’t have a slot for extra memory.

AlexSimon

Old 16Gb Nexus is £129 in a couple of places, most notably Carphone Warehouse:
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/asus-google-nexus-7-16gb-v1-2012-129-carphone-warehouse-1650704

Edit: only reason for extra storage is if you are needing music/movies on the go.
    If mainly used wi-fi at home, I don’t see you going beyond the 16GB model.

clubber
    Free Member

That’s a bargin.

AlexSimon

clubber – Member

That’s a bargin.
    There’s a whole host of other tablets which suddenly become irrelevant when the Google one is this cheap. See also the £159 Nexus 4.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Well I’m currently using my new google nexus 7, and very impressed I am too. The iPad mini did feel a bit better quality build, but it was over £100 more expensive for the 32gb one, so it was a no brainer as far as I’m concerned.I feel so bloody old though. Sitting here wishing I had a nice instruction booklet in front of me.

clubber
    Free Member

It’s all online! 🙂

choppersquad
    Free Member

I suppose I could print it all out for that authentic 80’s feel. 😀

clubber
    Free Member

I’ll bet you wouldn’t be the only one…

IanW
    Free Member

get some balls man, buy the real thing.

clubber
    Free Member

Coke?

choppersquad
    Free Member

Maybe I could “share it with Rupert”?

mattyd
    Free Member

Nook Hd looks to be a good budget buy at the moment for £79.
    Nook
    I don’t have one, but it appears you can hack it to add Google Play store etc as per Geda above.

GEDA
    Free Member

You do not need to hack it just install the update on the nook website. Mine has a 64gb sd in it

turbo1397
    Free Member

i just plumped for the nexus 7 deal above.. cant go wrong for £129!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Cheaper alternative tablets to iPad mini?’ is closed to new replies.