Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cheap workbenches c/w pegboard on Fleabay – worth it?
  • zelak999
    Free Member

Cheap workbenches c/w pegboard on Fleabay – worth it?
    Looking to buy a cheap workbench to tidy up my workshop ( read garage) a bit.
    Any one bought one of the cheap £50 ones off Fleabay?

peteimpreza

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230854012749?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

Got this one in the garage to be built up later today.

I’ll let you know how it builds up.

zelak999
    Free Member

Thanks Pete let me know what it’s like.
    I’m guessing you can’t go too wrong with £45!

woolymonster
    Free Member

I’ve had the same one in red for about a year now. Built up OK and fairly sturdy with plenty of space to store stuff, but the peg board although worth having, is pretty bad as its very thin so won’t hold that many tools up securely. The pegs are not that great either. I just got some MDF the same size and screwed in some hooks, screws and other bits (plywood works too). After that worked a treat. For me, definitely worth a punt at 50 snoots.

mattythemod
    Free Member

I recently got that excat same model , they ship from Germany and it arrived in a bad shape with a couple of broken bits of wood etc etc

Agree about the peg board and hooks -pretty shit really but easily sorted .

zelak999
    Free Member

Wonder if its worth paying the extra £20 for the Clarke one?

mattythemod
    Free Member

Many of them look like they come out of the same factory …saw excat same model in Machine Mart store the other week at £80 odd quid ..

zelak999
    Free Member

Stick with the £45 one then!
    Some flea bay ones are advertised as having ‘ball bearings on the drawers’ did yours have this ‘feature’?

woolymonster
    Free Member

Not too sure about mine, doubt mine’s bearing run but the drawer works OK whatever it is. Think I got stung for £70 when I got one but is exactly the same as the link (but red). As long as you have the measurements, the wood can be replaced and cut to size in B&Q, costing about £5-10. As you said, I’d stick with the cheaper one as they all seem to be the same.

Mugboo

I know I’m asking alot for £45 but is it strong enough to take a vice and then a good hammering 🙂

woolymonster
    Free Member

As long as you put it together properly then yeah. I’ve got a 100mm bench vice bolted to mine, hammered everything from inserts into hydraulic hoses to stuff that required a little more ‘beans’, stood up well to that. Not sure how much more you’d need to whack from a bike on a vice (hitting it hard that is), but should be OK. With the price the metal isn’t that thick, but taking time on the assembly and using the extra wood for the peg board and maybe a few extra screws for the thicker wood will be worth it mate. If you so attach the vice then bear in mind where you have it in case you need to cut a steerer tube (where to angle the rest of the fork can be a pain).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cheap workbenches c/w pegboard on Fleabay – worth it?’ is closed to new replies.