Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cheap wheels – Tech 4 from Superstar Components
  • sofabear
    Free Member

£200 for a wheelset seems too good to be true – is it?

My current wheels are 29″ Jalco rims on Commencal badged hubs and are at least two years old (no idea on mileage).

One spoke has just popped and the bearings are in need of changing, work which I will probably do myself, but being a lazy fecker and looking to minimise down time I’m considering a budget wheelset so that I don’t miss out on riding, hence the allure of the Superstar Components cheap wheelsets.

I’m not fussed about weight and value reliability. Sadly I cannot stretch to Hope hubs just now otherwise I wouldn’t even be looking elsewhere.

Are the Superstar wheels a waste of money?

***EDIT – I usually run my wheels tubeless on WTB Vigilantes if that makes a difference to opinions.

psycorp
    Free Member

Good wheels in my experience. I’ve had loads of sets.

chrisdw
    Free Member

They are fantastic for the money! I got mine in a sale around Christmas last year for £140. They don’t seal tubeless quite as easy as Stans, but the flip is they are a bit easier to put tyres on.

Mine are still true after almost a year of riding rocky North Wales stuff on a hardtail.

chakaping
    Free Member

They are very good.

Use the flash discount code and buy right now to save 20%.

It expires today I think.

sofabear
    Free Member

Thanks for the quick responses folks. I must admit that I was expecting responses to be a bit “meh, they’re okay, they’re wheels, they go round”.

quote] chakaping – Member

Use the flash discount code and buy right now to save 20%.

It expires today I think.[/quote]

Thanks mate, is there a particular discount code?

🙂

Oh, is there any difference between the Tech 4 DS25/EX23/TR21 range?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

EX 23 unless this is for a downhill bike or you are heavy like 100kg.

chakaping
    Free Member

I have only tried the ds25, they have been really tough.

Not light but not to heavy for me

chakaping
    Free Member

Ps. Buy the rim tape and valves at the same time.

sofabear
    Free Member

fr0sty125 – Member

EX 23 unless this is for a downhill bike or you are heavy like 100kg.

*cough* have we met? 😆

chakaping – Member

Ps. Buy the rim tape and valves at the same time.

Thanks. I was under the impression they came “tubeless ready”.

🙂

cp

there a particular discount code

The one splashed across their homepage

sofabear
    Free Member

cp – Member

there a particular discount code

The one splashed across their homepage

Ah, sorry/thanks, poor obs on my part. 🙂

So many colours to choose from…. the bike they’ll be used on is a green Commencal Meta. Logic and sense says black rims but I am strangely drawn to the lime or red… Saying that, I’m not known for good taste.

globalti
    Free Member

Great budget wheels but you can’t have cheap, light AND strong. They are cheap and light but not the strongest and the vinyl rim tape melts on long descents and allows the tube to pop into the nipple holes. Replace with cloth tape and use them as standby or spare wheels while you save for something good and they’ll be fine.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Which ones have did you have? I have had AM 490 which were the predecessor to the ex23 I absolutely hammered them and no dings. Now have tactic trail rims which are quite a bit lighter but I’ve hammered them and put quite a few dings into the rear. If it dies I’m going to crash replacement it with the ex23.

Not sure how the tape could ‘melt’…..

chakaping
    Free Member

If you’re on a 29er and a heavy unit, I’d say get the DS25s for sure.

Are you talking about the tech 4 wheels globati? They are strong. No question.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cheap wheels – Tech 4 from Superstar Components’ is closed to new replies.