Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cheap way to tour round the uk with bike/train?
  • officerfriendly
    Free Member

Hey all! I’m on my summer holidays and what I really want to do is to set out on a great adventure, just me and my bike and explore some of the beautiful places in the land. I’m 16 and not very fit, nor up to cycling hundreds of miles tbh, so I was going to apply for a freedom pass (I am eligible – only just!) and use that, til I learnt it’s London only 🙁 Anyone got any suggestions in terms of cheap train travel? There’s the Britrail but is ironically only issued to non-UK residents. Someone please help me make this work, I’m not having much luck! 🙁

richpips
    Free Member

You can get a 16-25 railcard, which saves a 1/3rd of ticket prices?

BigJohn

The lovely thing about the UK is that there are beautiful and interesting places dotted about every few miles. Some of them are nicer when encountered unexpectedly and slowly.

Catch a train (if you must) to a promising looking first stop then saddle up and follow your nose. Some days you might only do 10 miles but it will feel like you’re in a different world.

woody2000

Find the cheapest ticket you can to somewhere far away, then make your way back by bike in your own time. Have you got a tent?

jambalaya
    Free Member

There are lots of cheap train tickets if you book online, at non-peak times and on specific trains. A good mate of mine went from London to Dartmouth (very nice trip inc coastal section and steam train for last part) for £18! Jut get researching. Your biggest cost is going to be accommodation even at Youth Hostels.

plyphon
    Free Member

Be prepared to be treated like shit being 16 and with a bike.

I still get treated like filth by employees of Virgin whenever i’m with my BMX. Not bothered with my MTB.

Also look into having to “book” your bike onto the train. I once got my ticket to be told at the train that I coudln’t board as I haddn’t “booked” my bike on. Missed the train and had to stitch up my friend waiting on the other side. Was furious and was treated like crap by the staff.

To make matters worse, theres no clear documentation (last I looked) that said which lines require you to do this – as not all of them do! I used to go to Bristol frequently and was never asked.

**** joke cross country trains are.

I’ve not gotten on a train ran by XCountry since then. **** them.

(Yes I really took this one personally)

ton

I use trains all the time with my bike….never book, just turn up.
    never had a problem.
    managed to get back from Glasgow via 3 trains without a problem.

scud
    Free Member

Have you looked at National Express, slow but can be very cheap and i’ve had bike in box in the luggage hold before, depending where you are in the country already go and explore somewhere a bit remote but safe such as the Outer hebrides etc?

Look at the website that McMoonter posted up http://www.warmshowers.org website of people willing to offer cyclists free accomadation?

Just thinking of ideas, what about picking a good Sustransroute such as Route 7 or longer C2C http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/route/route-7?&_suid=139419058011305770502587667787#./route-7?&_suid=139419058011305770502587667787

edlong
    Free Member

There are lots of cheap train tickets if you book online, at non-peak times and on specific trains. A good mate of mine went from London to Dartmouth (very nice trip inc coastal section and steam train for last part) for £18! Jut get researching

True, but then you’re tied to a planned schedule, which can really detract from the “adventure” part. For my tastes, especially if I was on my own, I prefer this idea greatly

Catch a train (if you must) to a promising looking first stop then saddle up and follow your nose. Some days you might only do 10 miles but it will feel like you’re in a different world.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

what about megabus out and a ride back? Some sucess stories about getting the bike on the bus… havent done it personally but maybe a cheap option. You can use garmin connect / strava online to plan a cycle friendly route.

officerfriendly
    Free Member

@richpips while good, it is still too expensive to be viable 🙁

@BigJohn, you are so right! I think I might just do this, if all doesn’t work out with the train stuff 🙂 What a brilliant idea. And you’re so right about discovering them unexpectedly and slowly. In fact, I most probably will do that!

@woody I haven’t got a tent, but I really wanted to get one; I went camping for the firs time and absolutely loved the serenity of it all! Those tent bags would fit like a frame bag in the triangle of a bike…

@Jambalaya it does defeat the spontaneniouty and freedom that the whole adventure is about, exactly as edlong remarked

@plyphon, I’m sorry about your experience, I really am, but if anyone wants to treat me like shit, they can go **** themselves because I’m not having it. If I was to go though, I would call up to avoid any bullshit though, you know? 🙂

@scud, it definetely is an option! Those websites look really good thanks, I’m curious about what kind of people would be willing to offer specifically “cyclists” accomodation, it almost hints at something unpleasant… And that sustrans route is waay too far, I’ve never been out of London on my bike before! The idea of going on a sort of route sounds good actually, because then you’ll know your going somewher nice and not just cycling to hounslow!

@Cheekymonkey! Megabus does sound like an option, but it doesn’t seem like a preferable option, I think I’ll just do what BigJohn said, my worry is that of running out of food and water :S

marmaduke
    Free Member

@scud, I’m curious about what kind of people would be willing to offer specifically “cyclists” accomodation, it almost hints at something unpleasant…

Warmshowers is a really nice community. It’s great to be able to pass on the kindness you are shown while on tour to others.

cbike
    Free Member

Cheap Easyjet flights to Scotland, don’t book too far in advance or too late.
    Camp and hostel?

Or just leave from your house and see where you end up?
    Thats what me and my pals did from about 14 onwards.

Follow the Thames upstream? Pick a canal and see where it goes? Aim for the Norfolk broads and go sailing?

GO! GO! GO!

jekkyl

does it have to the UK?
    http://www.bike-express.co.uk/

oliverd1981
    Free Member

if you get a big holdall that will hold the bike it can go on trains that won’t allow bikes, I wouldn’t try it at rush hour though.

BigJohn

Where did you go in the end?

plumber
    Free Member

As pointed out before cycling even 5 miles can bring you a whole new world in the UK.

I did a fairly large mileage everyday 50-75 miles with fully packed everything – I realise now it was far too much to enjoy the actual travelling

Slow and steady is my unsolicited advice

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cheap way to tour round the uk with bike/train?’ is closed to new replies.