Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cheap way to record strava rides for my son
  • norcosix
    Free Member

Looking to find a cheapish way for my son to to record his cycling routes while out with his cycling club.

Trying to avoid the whole buying him a phone option as he’s a bit young for that.

Any suggestions welcome.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Entry level Garmin edge for less than 100 quid.

skids
    Free Member

let him borrow a phone

mark90
    Free Member

I was going to suggest an old phone without a sim. Cost peanuts. My daughter has an old phone she uses as a camera, no phone functionality.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Cheap phone is going to be cheapest option . Either that or a used garmin of some sort. Forerunners can be quite cheap.

rockhopper70

My lad uses a basic android smart phone without a sim.
    Just saves the ride then syncs when he gets home.
    His profile picture was his choice, the 1″ thick toast with beans served at llandegla.

norcosix
    Free Member

Thanks all. EBay it is for a cheap phone or garmin.

richmars

TomTom watch is around £60.

Jason
    Free Member

I bought a 2nd hand Garmin 200 for my son. I think I bought it from the classifieds on this site, it wasn’t too expensive. Worth a trawl around eBay etc.

kerley
    Free Member

I would go for something like a used Garmin edge 20 so he can have it on his bars and see stats while he rides and then upload when back at home.

More waterproof than phone
    Don’t have to put it in pocket
    Arguably better GPS tracking

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

As Kerley says – one of the small basic Garmins is the smart answer. Cope with mud and rain (usually) and small enough not to get knocked off the bars. Deal with a few knocks.

The 25’s were in Aldi for £50 a few weeks back – I didn’t notice a heads up on here. They might still have some or otherwise that should have driven down the eBay price. (edit – limited offer. Should have bought one when i saw it)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Basic small garmin would be my choice. Easy to mount on the bars and unobtrusive. He’ll also learn to start using the data it shows him and you can start adding speed and cadence and stuff like that.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cheap way to record strava rides for my son’ is closed to new replies.