• This topic has 32 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Jrrr.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Cheap waterproof case for iPhone 5s?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Only to be used whilst on the bike so the cheaper the better. What’s good?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Otterbox

CountZero

Lifeproof.

loddrik
    Free Member

Defender and lifeproof too expensive for something that’s going to be used once in a blue moon.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I looked at a few options and went with a zip lock plastic sandwich bag

jota180
    Free Member

Ulimate Addons have a couple of choices, I have one on my motorbike bars and it’s been 100% waterproof

http://www.ultimate-mobiles.co.uk/Consumer_Electronics/Mobile_Phones/Apple/iPhone_5/cases

rob2
    Free Member

I’ve got what looks like a zipped sandwich bag from Viking. It’s brilliant. Even has an internal connector for ear phones. I got it as a present but I think it was a fiver. Oh and came with an arm band too

kimbers

I got 2 waterproof phone pouches for 3 quid in Morrison’s

Can’t complain and it work really well in the sodden alps in july

jam-bo

Aloksak.

Or I’ve got a warranty replacement lifeproof fre case I could be persuaded to part with.

sweepy
    Free Member

My Mrs has a lifeproof case, it is expensive but its that thin its just on the phone all the time. Id say its worth the money, except I don’t know cos despite my urging she wont purposely put it underwater. Coward.

jota180
    Free Member
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

expensive? Otterbox defender for 11.77 for a 500 quid phone?

simon_g

The Otterbox Defender makes no claims at all about being waterproof.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Inside my camelbak, in pissing rain, it’s been fine, same as it has been in my pocket on wet rides. I know it’s not supposedly ‘waterproof’ but it’s easy to be a bit more careful with yer phone, stick it in yer pack.

burko73

For those with lifeproof cases, is the phone completely useable ie, can you hear the speech/ can callers hear you when the phone case is on?

sweepy
    Free Member

Completely useable with no effect on sound. you do need to use the headphone socket plug or extension.

Thats for the genuine one, the fake wasn’t so good.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

The first Lifeproof Nuud case I bought went back because people couldn’t hear me.

Not a dickybird, even if I shouted.

But I reckoned it must be a fault even tho it looked fine and genuine. So I bought another,
    From the Apple Store, and this one is fine

But only if I hold it up to the right side of my head when I speak

If to the left, callers say I sound like I’m talking down a wind tunnel

I can’t explain that. But I can live with it for the protection and peace of mind at the beach, or near a bog,etc

burko73

“you do need to use the headphone socket plug or extension.”

What do you mean…..

Can you make a regular call on the phone without headphones and hear people/ people hear you?

boxelder

Little bags for freezing expressed breast milk – double zip lock seal, just the right size and thicker than sandwich bags. I’ll send you one (unused…)

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

You only need to use the headphone extension when you use the headphone socket .

burko73

Dorset knob. Thanks for that. Looked in the apple shop yesterday, now they do the nuud and fre?

Think the fre is the one for me, better screen protection. Can anyone tell me if you can see the screen well enoug with the fre? No glare etc from the screen protector (my otter box case for my 4 is rubbish, lots of space between screen and protector and now lots of dust and barely visible in the sun)

jam-bo

Can anyone tell me if you can see the screen well enoug with the fre? No glare etc from the screen protector (my otter box case for my 4 is rubbish, lots of space between screen and protector and now lots of dust and barely visible in the sun)

not perfect and not as good as no screen protector but perfectly usable. My Fre case rarely comes off the phone.

GrahamS

Topeak WeatherProof RideCase?

Not the cheapest (£45 from Evans) but properly waterproof (rated IP66) and can be mounted on your stem, handlebar or stem cap.

http://topeak.com/products/PanoBike/weatherproof_ridecase_by

hooli

A ziplock bag and the phone in my jersey pocket or pack, not had an issue so far, even in the prudential ride this year when I got a touch damp.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Another vote for ziplock bag

GrahamS

Ziploc bags are perfect if all you want is a cheap way to keep the phone dry in a pocket/bag.

But not much good if the OP wants any bump protection or wants to use the phone as a cycle computer or navigation aid.

jam-bo

IP66 is waterproof but not immersion proof.

GrahamS

Just how bad is the rain on your commutes jam bo?? 😉

jam-bo

I’ve taken my phone in a lifeproof case down class 4 whitewater …

GrahamS

Bet that ruined your bottom bracket.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Had my lifeproof work perfectly down to about 3m in seawater. A few drops came in at about 5m. So pretty waterproof.

Jrrr
    Free Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400601348383?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&var=670159615137&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

there we go…

i got one, and its not the prettiest tbh, but it holds onto my stem or bars on my roadie no problem, easy to use whilst riding and completely waterproof, overall very happy with it. can easy unclip too. never fallen off in the last 600 miles of not very smooth roads

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Cheap waterproof case for iPhone 5s?’ is closed to new replies.