Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • cheap vs expensive droppers, anyone regretted getting a budget dropper?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

bikediscount.de

Need’s a hyphen, otherwise it’s a similar looking website, but with no translation to english and no gravity droppers.

bike-discount.de

rOcKeTdOg

Cheers, I can’t speak German 🙂

BillOddie

As I have 27.2mm post bikes…

I had a TMARS, worked OK, needed the occasional strip dowm. Then it snapped, on the lower part but not where it went into the frame. Odd.
    It got warrantied and sold the replacement.

I now have a X-Fusion Hilo. I’m on my 2nd one of those too, the first was replaced under warranty. This one has gone back under warranty for a seal change.

If you put it down for a short section then raise it again it feels mushy (oil foaming?)
    I think this means it needs a bit more oil in it (it’s not leaking) but as dropping it and sitting on it again firms it up I’m not sure I can be bothered.

Would I buy another Hilo? Probably not.

When the Hilo inevitably dies I’ll be looking at a Thomson, KS Lev or a Gravity Dropper I reckon. Unless I’m skint when I might look at the RSP…

matty456
    Free Member

Looking at getting a TMARS dropper post just to try it out. I can find a 27.2mm post to fit with a 27.2mm to 31.6mm shim! Is a shim that ok to use or will I have issues? Thanks.

warpcow
    Free Member

Shim is probably fine as long as it’s long enough, but you know the TMars comes in 31.6 too, right?

matty456
    Free Member

Thanks warpcow, I’ve got a couple of bikes I can swap it around on if I go for a 27.2mm.

martinhutch

I would like to withdraw my slightly negative review of the RSP Plummet from earlier in the thread and replace it with a totally negative one after it lunched itself spectacularly (and I suspect fatally) during today’s ride.

The return spring now appears to be completely wedged against the stanchion and neither can be moved at all.

Let’s see how good the retailer’s customer service and RSP’s warranty is.

monkeyboyjc

I’ve had….

K’S Eten – Was ok but heavy, had issues if the bike was turner upside down, also if you pulled up on the seat when it was dropped.

X-Fusion hilo – ir was great for the first 6-8 months but then developed a leak and would drop an inch or so by any weight on the saddle. It was difficult to service as the collet was held on really really tight so I ended up Scrayingham it badly.

Thomson – had this for about 5 months now and it’s been fine….

oldnpastit

Got a tmars last year. Absolute balls. It seized within a few hours use and needs stripped after every moist ride.

+1

I’ve now got a gravity dropper and it seems much better so far. But obviously quite a bit more pricey.

Northwind

So 5 hours of use and my tmars **** up my glentress seven for me, delighted. Stopped actuating properly, stuck down for a while then I finally managed to get it to go back up, then totally failed (and then the cable pulled out of the lever, because of trying to shift a jammed mechanism. Unimpressed.

The actual uppy-downy is fine, it just won’t downy.

dannyh
    Free Member

I originally bought an ICE Lift V8. It was ok to start with, but it became apparently very quickly that it was, in fact, utter shite.

The plastic bushings wear rapidly. There is tons of play in the seat (side to side). Re-routing a fresh cable is an absolute nightmare and you have to service it once every 2-3 rides to have it working anywhere near acceptably. In short, they are crap and getting a real dropper is way more cost effective in the long term.

Also, the retailer I bought it from had obviously been caught on the hop by a crap product and desperately tried to back away from any warranty issues by claiming ‘wear and tear’ and trying to get me to pay through the nose for spares.

Get yourself a proper dropper ™ and buy a reverb. Second hand if needs be. Just do a basic service every six months or so (just like a fork) and you’ll be thankful you did.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Anyone had a Thompson 27.2mm?

Was going to go cheap but it looks a case of buy cheap buy twice.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Had a KS900 and a Lev, Like them both.
    The 900 died out the box but was fixed and worked fine for 3 years after that before I sold it on.
    The Lev has been great though at about 22 months in it’s gone a little droopy so it’s off back for warranty. Apart from that it’s been all I wanted, smooth and easy to use. compared to peoples reverb comments it’s had a bit of a clean and I replaced the bush which was easy and in reality probably didn’t need doing.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Maverick speedball, uppy/downiness was fine but seat clamp was rubbish
    3 KS900’s in the house, first gen one went back under warranty, but fine since then.
    Two of the KS are heavily used, serviced hamfistedly by me and have never let me down bar the very odd muddy ride clogged the actuator usually fixed with a squirt of camelbak fluid.
    KS lev 27.2 on 29er, bit of a pain to setup initially but otherwise flawless so far(touches wood)
    Most people I know with Reverbs have had at least one warranty claim and have had rides ruined when a crash has ripped the hose out.
    Another mate has a fossilised GD (think it predates my speedball)which apart from being clunky is still going strong

iainc

I have a reverb and a giant contact. The latter is cable operated, simpler and cheaper. In use they are both good, no preference.

JohnnyPanic

Most people I know with Reverbs have had at least one warranty claim and have had rides ruined when a crash has ripped the hose out.

That’s why it’s a good idea to carry one of those collar jobbies.
    Reverb owner here. Bought it second hand for £130 complete with bleed kit and collar. It was a warranty replacement and was like new. Been running it for a year with no issues or attention given.
    Fingers crossed…

chakaping
    Free Member

have had rides ruined when a crash has ripped the hose out.

Did they have the remote mounted on top of the bar?

That’s the only time I’ve ripped mine out – and lesson learned.

jam-bo

I have a 27.2 Lev I’m thinking about selling if anyone is interested. Great post but been gathering dust on my hardtail for the last six months. Email in profile if anyone is interested.

jam-bo

Reverb owner here. Bought it second hand for £130 complete with bleed kit and collar. It was a warranty replacement and was like new. Been running it for a year with no issues or attention given.
    Fingers crossed…

If the hose goes do they fail down then? I would have thought without a remote they would stick up?

JohnnyPanic

Don’t know – presume they would sink, which is why you carry one of these. Other sellers available.

Northwind

I think they stick wherever they were last?

Pretty sure the collar is not intended for jamming the post up, though, it’s for restricting how far it’ll drop but keeping pedalling weight on it seems like it could be a quick road to a scratched up stanchion.

I generally prefer cable, with most cable designs you can actuate it manually even with a damaged lever.

jam-bo

I would expect them to fail up? Hydraulic pressure actuates a piston to release post, no pressure, no actuation. If my reverb needs a bleed it’s because it won’t go down.

jam-bo

I think they stick wherever they were last?

Good point. Hadn’t thought of that.

TheFlyingOx

I bought a KS Dropzone last year. Apart from a bit of faff getting the remote cable to grip the seat mechanism properly (fixed with a beefier bolt) it’s been superb. Works every time when you need it to, doesn’t stick, isn’t wobbly. Can’t fault it at all. I paid £126 delivered from JensonUSA, so under the import tax level. There’s a 20% off deal at the moment, so I think it might be even cheaper now.

JohnnyPanic

keeping pedalling weight on it seems like it could be a quick road to a scratched up stanchion.

Agree – I always thought that, putting a metal clamp onto a stanchion seems like a recipe for damage but then even using it just to restrict drop there’s surely the same danger?
    Never used it in anger, carry a bit of inner tube to use between collar & post. Hope not to need it…

Northwind

You don’t usually sit and pedal much on a dropped dropper though

freehighlander
    Free Member

Budget all the way, 😀 every one I know who have expensive ones have had problems with them Tmars all th eway nowt to go wrong spring to poles wth a pin and some holes. Why pay more. 😆 😀

leeroybrown
    Free Member

Jam bo I’ve emailed you about your one

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Order a gravity dropper at the weekend after reading this thread 🙂

Cheezpleez

I have an RSP Plummet, a couple of Reverbs and a Joplin.

The Reverbs are great and have only ever needed one service between them (they must be about two and three years old).

The Joplin is unreliable, wobbly and currently needs hoiking up with my thighs because it won’t return on it’s own.

The RSP is a bit agricultural but works fine. I got it off a mate who had problems with it sticking after mucky rides. He took it apart to service it but then couldn’t get it back together and gave up on it. I stripped it, regreased it and added a ziptie to the top of the rubber boot and it’s been 100% reliable ever since (cue catastrophic failure on next ride).

frackit
    Free Member

I’ve ordered a TMARS – for £40 it’s worth a go to see if I get on with a dropper or not. Any idea if Shims are provided with them or do I need to order one too?

Deveron53
    Free Member

I’ve ordered a TMARS – for £40 it’s worth a go to see if I get on with a dropper or not. Any idea if Shims are provided with them or do I need to order one too?

If you ordered a particular size, you’ll get the shims to make it that size. I think there are only 27.2 and 31.6, all other sizes are shimmed.

I have a 30.9. The shim slipped in my frame so I had to ‘shim’ the shim! I have already had a cable pull out of the lever and some difficulties in actuation but I’ll put that down to training at the moment, see how it goes. I wanted a cable actuated dropper with 2 positions. If I’m not happy prior to my race I may get a Giant Contact as I used to have one and it worked great. I never really got on with the Reverb remote. The release button never seemed to be in a comfy place.

On the Tmars (and clones) anybody thought about using a brake cable rather than a gear cable? And a small bmx brake lever to actuate?

Deveron53
    Free Member

I wasn’t happy. I bought a Specialized Command Post. I am currently trying to return the Tmars. If anybody wants it for £50 posted, email in profile… I’m not sure I’ve got the strength to fight the seller.

Northwind

I’ve just bulldozed the seller with ebay returns and not given him a choice, remains to be seen if there’ll be a fight later

Deveron53
    Free Member

I’d rather just sell the post on. I may lose some cash but the seller seems rather SHOUTY so I can’t be arsed! It may work on some frames but not mine. I kept knocking the cable sideways where it entered the actuator housing. Kinking the inner cable by 90 degrees.

I wonder if I could use the post actuator etc to resurrect my dream of the venerable Hite Rite being reborn… off to the shed I go!

nach
    Free Member

I’ve run a Crank Bros. Kronolog and a KS Lev.

The Kronolog almost immediately seized the first time it was out in the rain, and over the winter completely shredded one if its own seals.

The KS gets sticky from time to time in winter, so needs an occasional service, but is generally flawless (I’ve had it six months and discovered I should probably service every three, in winter at least).

martinhutch

I would like to withdraw my slightly negative review of the RSP Plummet from earlier in the thread and replace it with a totally negative one after it lunched itself spectacularly (and I suspect fatally) during today’s ride.

The return spring now appears to be completely wedged against the stanchion and neither can be moved at all.

Let’s see how good the retailer’s customer service and RSP’s warranty is.

Just as an update, Tredz appear to have accepted the death of my RSP Plummet and are going to refund me…nice quick warranty turnaround there, though I think that one glance at it would have shown it was FUBARed.

So then, what should I try to get working try next? Gravity Dropper? Any cheapy deals out there?

Northwind

Update on my shitey T-Mars- returned it to the seller on ebay, just used the automatic returns process. He didn’t even bother to respond, so ebay closed the case, full refund. I was expecting a fight tbh but it seems like he knows he’s selling junk so just gave in to the inevitable.

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘cheap vs expensive droppers, anyone regretted getting a budget dropper?’ is closed to new replies.