Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cheap (very) and cheerful 29er frame only deals – anything out there?
  • MrTall
    Free Member

I want to change the frame on my bodged 69er hack bike (as it rides horribly) but don’t want anything branded or remotely expensive.

There’s a few on ebay (Venzo) that would fit the bill but they’re from Oz and the postage is more than the frame. Is there anything comparable in the UK or will it be a while before 29ers in the bottom pricepoint appear? Needs to be disc ready.

Ideally i’d be after a budget frame in the £50ish area as geometry/weight etc are pretty unimportant. A 29er Handsome Dog frame would be ideal. Or a basic Merlin frame (which is what the current 26″ frame is).

Nearly bought a full bike from Decathlon last night (the 5.29 @ £199.99) but it would have become a minor money pit to switch bits around so it defeated the object – shame i couldn’t just buy the frame.

Nowt comes up in the classifieds in XL sizes at a bargain price and ebay stuff goes for too much cash as well. Any options out there? Cheers

wwaswas

be cheaper just to put a 26″ wheel back on the bike you already have 🙂

does it *really* need to be 29″ for a cheap as chips hack bike?

pop-larkin
    Free Member

May have a 19.5 geared scandal frame for sale- would be looking for £110 ex postage tho

MrTall
    Free Member

Obviously doesn’t need to be a 29er, i just want it to be one :-). Plus the bike has always been horrid, not just after i put a 29er wheel on the front.

I’m bored so was looking for a little project to work on and i’d get to swap bits around and have some fettle time. Plus all my spare bits are now 29er (wheels in particular).

I looked at the On-Ones but £150 is way too much for a bike frame which will be left in town and outside the gym (albeit in reasonable ‘safe’ areas). Plus it’s a name that would still appeal to scrotes. There are loads of basic Alu frame available in 26″ variety but nowt in 29er as yet.

tom84
    Free Member

I have a 29er inbred i would sell, it’ll be cheapish but not cheerful because it has been resprayed black, so more ‘dark and moody’. definitely a good size for me at six foot five though.

email in profile, as they say 😉

leekspannermonkey
    Free Member

hi mr tall.
    i have a gary fisher kaitai 29er frame,black ,pretty tidy.
    i used it last year,got the 29er bug then swapped frames.
    i can send pics if your interested-just mail me on
    sigley5ru@btinternet.com
    id only want £45 posted
    thanks

MrTall
    Free Member

Tom, i had an Inbred and sold it earlier this year so not really what i’m after but thanks for the offer.

LSM – could be interested in the Kaitai if the size is right. I’d need a 21″ at least (maybe bigger if this is a hybrid frame as they size up differently) so feel free to send over some pics if it’s big enough.

Would a 2.35″ slick tyre fit in the frame or is it designed for narrower 700c tyres? Cheers

I’m assuming it comes with disc mounts?

leekspannermonkey
    Free Member

sorry mr tall-its a medium frame-sorry

leekspannermonkey
    Free Member

HI sorry i have just got it into the house and measured up and its a 19″ frame.just taken some pics so get in touch if its any use

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cheap (very) and cheerful 29er frame only deals – anything out there?’ is closed to new replies.