Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • cheap train tickets
  • sadexpunk

had one of those moneysavingexpert emails through and was looking at one of the sections on using an app for splitting tickets to save money. looks like theres quite a few anomalies that could result in silly money tickets from time to time. from what i can see tho youd have to know where you want to go and on what day.

does anyone know of a method of just putting in your home station and trawling for bargains just from there?
    thinking sometimes itd be nice to go somewhere unexpected just cos you can 🙂
    and say you wanted to go walking in the peaks, a ticket to Hope say could be £50 one way, but maybe theres one to somewhere near for £5 or something daft that you just dont know about.

anyone know of a site for trawling for bargains?

woody2000

Google “split train journey tickets” and you’ll find a few sites that do it 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

But as he said, they offer cheap tickets between places you want to go, the OP is wanting to know if he can find a list of places that are inordinately cheap from a specific station.

Where’s your home station OP? You’ll often find certain TOCs have offers on – Southern do tickets for £5/£10 between any two stations on their network a lot of the time, for example.

jambalaya
    Free Member

You can find some bargains on the trainline.com (other sites too) – especially if you go on fixed trains (ie no flex to change), a mate when to Dartmouth from London for £10 including the steam train at the end. happy hunting.

dknwhy

More often than now now, it pays to just book well in advance.

Are you looking at mtb/cycling trips or just general stuff?

I’ve done a couple of trips by National Express coach. If you can put up with the long journey time, you can get some real bargains. Standard for me is an overnight from London to Aviemore for £50 return. They’ll take a bike in a bike bag or one of those CTC plastic ones.

Sustrans routes give good touring ideas too. Book an early train to the end of a route and then ride back or book two random locations with somewhere interesting inbetween and ride between them.

sadexpunk

Where’s your home station OP?

gainsborough lea road, lincs

Are you looking at mtb/cycling trips or just general stuff?

general stuff really. days when me and missus are off on same day, just look for something interesting and go where the tickets take us 🙂
    or overnight stays too, then we’d look for b&b’s nearby, that sort of thing.

thanks

igm

If you buy York Peterborough then Peterborough London it can save a third over a York London ticket. You don’t even have to get off the train – though it does have to stop at Peterborough.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Just booked an overnighter on Megabusgold (the fancy one with beds) from Glasgow to bristol for £15.50 the other night. Train can go whistle…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Secret to cheap train fares is travelling off peak generally. So booking a ticket that keeps as much of your journey in the off peak section should make it cheaper. So if your leaving early split the ticket where you would cross the peak time boundary.

Also if you have a list of dates in advance book them up early. Depending on the operator weekend first is a bit of a waste as it’s just a seat no food/drink. So watch them but you can get some weekday bargains leaving at 10am from places into London etc if booked in advance.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I use red spotted hanky.
    Also there’s the other end of the scale for shorter journeys where it just isn’t worth booking in advance. Such as this weekend, its 16 quid more between four of us to get to Leicester and back, but by buying on the day we get to come home whenever on Sunday.

flatfish
    Free Member

Some good tips there.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Megabus do some train tickets too, from Nottingham to London can get a return ticket for around £24

ebygomm
    Free Member

If you want a nice gentle ride then train with bikes to shirebrook, pick up the dukeries trail all the way to Lincoln, stop for a drink at the pyewipe and then train back to Lea Road.

sadexpunk

thanks for the advice chaps. as mentioned before its not for riding, just wondered if i could find cheap tickets for me and the missus to just hop on a train to ‘anywhere’ just for a day/weekend out. you know, type in home station, look at the cheapo anomalies without having to keep thinking of places we’d like to go and re-selecting all the time, choose one and just go.

thanks

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘cheap train tickets’ is closed to new replies.