• This topic has 32 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by GW.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Cheap telly from Tesco – false economy?
  • munkster
    Free Member

Am looking at this TV (Technika 32-56) from Tescos as a telly in a secondary (to the lounge) room rather than spending any more on a more groovy brand.

Anyone had any experience of these tellys? Good buy or buy-cheap-buy-twice? Cheers to anyone who can report back their findings!

hugor
    Free Member

I bought a cheap Sanyo 32 inch LCD from asda for 300 quid. Does the job perfectly for me and hasn’t skipped a beat in 12 months.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Novatech have 32″ Samsungs at £300 if you can stretch a little further.

tron
    Free Member

A relative had a Technica telly from Tesco and it died very quickly.

Get a cheap telly from Richer Sounds or
    somewhere. Cheap extended warranties and branded products. Or Aldi – probably out of the same factory as Tesco’s kit, but you get a 3 year guarantee.

donsimon
    Free Member

Good buy or buy-cheap-buy-twice?

Not exactly the same but I bought an own brand freezer 5-6 years ago giving me trouble free freezing of foods. Maybe if you can go for a lower spec branded for the same money it’d be the better option. Personally I wouldn’t be bothered.

LMT
    Free Member

Newer one’s have samsung screen’s and failure rate is alot less, i remember seeing every one come back at work, not seen one come back for the last 8 months and they still sell shedloads of them.

I would get one, as a second tele, rumor is we will get some 3d ones in time for christmas this year.

Burls72
    Free Member

I bought a 19″ Technika tv from them, I had to return it three times with the same fault. It was a problem with the sound, like a speaker was blown. All three broke within a week but to be fair to tesco they replaced them very quickly and I never had any hassle from them about it. The last time it happened I said i’ll give it one last try and if that one is faulty I want a refund which they were fine with.

I’ve had the tv about 1 1/2 years and alls ok with it. Even with the hassle I had I would buy another tv of the same make from them.

munkster
    Free Member

Hmmm interesting, thanks all…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I also have a 19 inch Techica and it has been fine – the only issue I have with it is the screen is very directional (ie you need to be sat pretty much in front of it).

King-ocelot
    Free Member

We have a 19″ too, it’s been fine but it’s not used often, typically on Sunday morning lie ins with a DVD on.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Got a 19″ with inbuilt DVD in the back room, not used often, but seems ok for the money (about 130 quid I think)

hora
    Free Member

Buy from Richer Sounds. If anything goes wrong they are fantastic. £200 aint cheap in anyones books and I’d rather spend it with them.

I paid £290 for a 37″ decent tv with them.

andyl
    Free Member

Sainsburys have some very good deals. But I would go into Richer and see what they have – also sign up for their VIP deals.

hora
    Free Member

RicherSounds also price match. TBH I wouldn’t go anywhere else, most certainly not someone like Tescos.

samuri
    Free Member

If RicherSounds price match then they’re probably a better place to go. Saying that, we have two flat screen TV’s and a laptop I bought from Tesco. The XBOX flat screen has been in use for about 4 years now, never had a problem with it. The kitchen telly and laptop are newer but they’ve been great.

mattbee

Had a Technika 32″ for 3 years, as main telly ‘cos I’m not made of money. Seems to do everything a tv should with no issues, apart from the remote draining nbatteries fairly quickly. Its one of the ones with a DVD played built in. Menus are a bit clunky bit picture and sound seem absolutely fine.

nbt

I bought a 19″ technika with built in DVD and a USB record function. Couple of issues worht mentioning:

Took me a while to get a disk that I can record on – had to partition and reformat my portable HD, but the good thing is the USB slot *will* power a hard drive (as opposed to just using a flash drive like the 4gb one provided which will store about 2 hours). Problem is you need a FAT32 disk and most HDs are NTFS.

The TV guide is completely gash compared to Sky, but then sky are widely regarded as having the best guide

There’s often quite a lag between pressing buttons on the remote and the TV responding.

Other than that, for the money I’m very pleased with it – think I paid £140 or so. It lives in the spare room so I can watch telly and occasionally record stuff to watch when we take it away with us in the caravan

EDIT – I originally bought a 16″ LED telly but as mentioned above it was very directional. took it back and got the money back, replaced it with this one which is much better

meehaja
    Free Member

I’ve got one of those. Its slow to start up, but seems fine really. That said, I don’t watch much tv, so it never on for more than a few hours at a time?

binners

You’ve missed a trick here. I believe a couple of weeks ago there was a great opportunity to pick up some extremely cheap, big plasma tellies at various venues around the country 😉

willard

Saw a 40@ Teknika at Tesco Huntingdon last week for less than 300 quid. Maybe a little too big for a secondary unit though

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

False economy – I’d not touch a no-mark brand TV as the picture quality will likely be pretty dire.

Richer Sounds have a Samsung for £220 and an LG for £250

hora
    Free Member

^^^ This

hels
    Free Member

I’m feeling old today – when did £300 get cheap for a tele. I paid £20 for my last one 3 years ago, thats a cheap tele, and it works fine. You could buy 60 books for £300 and come out a year later much more betterer educated.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

and come out a year later much more betterer educated.

Well it would really depend on books bought -v- television channels watched…

munkster
    Free Member

False economy – I’d not touch a no-mark brand TV as the picture quality will likely be pretty dire.

Richer Sounds have a Samsung for £220 and an LG for £250

For the WIN!! Why didn’t I think of Richer Sounds; it felt like I used to keep them in business spending my grant there c.1993 buying various bits of obsolete hi-fi equipment, happy memories 🙂

Will be “popping over” (20 miles!!) to a branch when they open. At 11am. Very civilised…

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’ve had 2 LG’s from richer sounds, they’ve both died within 2 years, R-S have been less than helpfull both times.

next telly will be a cheapo from the supermarket.

TiRed

I can definitely recommend a Samsung 32″. We’ve had one for 12 months and it’s been excellent. Picture quality when adjusted appropriately is up there with my Pioneer. I have had to update the software once and reset, which lost my channel edits, but it is a great TV.

woody2000

I bought a Hannspree from Ebuyer recently and it’s top notch. Full HD, loads of HDMI inputs etc. Not quite a stunner in the looks department, but the picture quality is v.good.

£220

Linky

trickydisco
    Free Member

What a load of tosh! not always the case. My mate used to work for a turkish company called Vestal. He brought home a 42 inch TV a few years ago. It was branded vestal but identical as a Panasonic. They were made in the same factory but branded differently

The vestal was obviously much cheaper

munkster
    Free Member

Been to Richer Sounds. Purchase made. Job done 😉

z1ppy

trickydisco – Member

What a load of tosh!

Well the one my gran got, you needed to change the colour/contast from channel to channel (just terrestrial channels).. not that I’d suggest their all like that, but it’s worth taking a good look at em.

fingerbike
    Free Member

Been looking into this for a while now, with a budget of about £300.
    Was looking a Sharp thats in Sains for £299 but it’s getting poo reviews.

Think i’m going to go for this (Sony KDL32CX520B):
    http://www.directtvs.co.uk/Sony_KDL32CX520B_32_Inch_internet_LCD_TV_KDL32CX520BU/version.asp?PID=539

GW
    Free Member

If your worried about ecconemy, a £20 S/H CRT is all you need for watching TV, it’s only when playing PS3 the difference in resolution is even noticable and IMO an old CRTs picture can often look a nicer to watch. being much bigger cases they also tend to have better built in speakers IME

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Cheap telly from Tesco – false economy?’ is closed to new replies.