• This topic has 13 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by dobo.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • cheap tapered 15mm rigid fork?
  • swan0mighty
    Free Member

hi

struggling to find a cheap rigid fork that is tapered and has a 15mm axle

will be replacing a 140mm fork so think im looking for a 29er fork

will just be using the bike for commuting so look for something cheap as possible

best i found so far is http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/frames-forks-c6/rigid-forks-c51/salsa-cromoto-29er-grande-maxle-rigid-fork-p501?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=salsa-cromoto-29er-grande-maxle-rigid-fork-sizes-taper-sizes-taper-fksac9mtk&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads#3984

househusband

If only for commuting why not consider an adapter for your front wheel? It’d mean far, far more fork options.

ska-49
    Free Member

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/2014-newest-full-carbon-mtb-fork_1538866825.html

I’ve bought one. £110 with an axle and delivery.
    It’s in customs at the moment. Probably £35 for that.
    So, around £150 all in.

swan0mighty
    Free Member

the adapter might be the cheapest option

ska-49 i seen them but it looks as if you need a nut on the end of the axle instead of the fork being threaded so will require a spanner to remove wheel?

ska-49
    Free Member

I’m not sure. Will report back when they arrive if you’re interested.

swan0mighty
    Free Member

please do

ska-49
    Free Member

Forks arrived today. Very pleased. They are incredibly stiff and light. No flex with gentle squeezing.

Postage time was brilliant from the producer but Parcel Force/HM Revenue are a joke. It took 4 days to hit our shores and then 12 days to reach me!

HM Revenues and customs took a lovely £23.65 on a product market at little over the same value.

The axle is brilliant. Was a nice surprise. I was expecting a solid axle with a nut, but no! It’s a direct copy of the shimano through axle.

The proportions of the fork are crazy. The legs are huge and the crown dwarfs the tapered steerer. Yes, thats tapered! Very light. Kitchen scales indicate 700g. Once the axle is in the fork has absolutely no flex at all. The steerer is plenty long but doesn’t come with a carbon bung. Face brake mounts which are nicely built up too.

Photos once they’ve been installed and a mini review once ridden.

Big thanks to Hellen at XMIPlay!

swan0mighty
    Free Member

thanks for the write up/pictures

just one thing im still not 100% sure on how the axle works? as usually on a suspension fork one side of the dropout is threaded to accept the axle but this looks different?

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Looks like a bolt on the other side. Bit like a 9mm QR. Looks lovely.

flange
    Free Member

Same as the kenesis one – it’s a threaded nut with with a knurled finish similar to a seat clamp. I actually prefer it to a threaded fork leg because if it gets buttered, you replace the nut, not ‘re-tap’ the forks

ska-49
    Free Member

As Flange says- it’s a threaded nut.
    It’s for sale now if you’re interested!

curiousyellow
    Free Member

May have been interested if they were straight 1 1/8. My frame is old school unfortunately 🙁

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

I’ve had one of those forks from XMI Play since Christmas now and it’s been fine

dobo
    Free Member

I’m draging up this thread again as thinking of some new forks, the salsa cromoto grande maxle have my eye but the chinese carbon is tempting.

ska-49 why did you sell yours?

RAGGATIP how has your fork been, still got it?

anyone else want to chip in about these 15mm rigid maxle forks?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘cheap tapered 15mm rigid fork?’ is closed to new replies.