Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cheap tablet PCs – how good/bad are they?
  • stevemorg2

Looking around there seem to be a lot of android tablets about ATM – my local ASDA has a couple at less than £100.
    I’m thinking about something to keep the kids happy on long car journeys, limited surfing over wi-fi, etc – has anyone got any recommendations?
    I’ve got an Ipad which think is great and I’m not expecting a £100 tablet to do the same – how good/bad are they?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I tried a £100 one and the screen was so poor it was nearly unusable, though I am used to an ipod touch.

stuey
    Free Member

£160 for a tegra 2 10″ Hannspree one seems like a good deal – but not a lot of ROM development on this model yet – so android 2.2 at the mo.
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/271191

I’m playing with a Vega and an Adam tablet – very similar internals – with a bit of ‘geek’ they are very capable.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I bought a £76 Android 2.2 new off eBay to see if I liked the tablet format. In fairness it’s a big smartphone with no phone (but 3g compatible) and an outdated but perfectly useable resistive screen and poor battery life which is fine for web browsing and games etc as long as there’s a power socket nearby.

I don’t feel ripped off so that’s a good sign!

allthepies
    Free Member

I’m waiting to see what the Archos G9 101 is like when it’s released in a few weeks time. Price around £250 for a 10″ Wifi dual core processor model, Android Honeycomb, capacitive screen etc.

http://store.archos.com/archos-p-5017.html

(appreciate £250 ain’t “cheap” however)

mav12
    Free Member

l have a galaxy tab 3g cost £250 really impressed with it battery lifes about 6 hours t mobile sim £5 a month
    jobs a goodun

br
    Free Member

‘ve got an Ipad which think is great and I’m not expecting a £100 tablet to do the same

Let them use the Ipad in the car?

Stoner
    Free Member

I got a cheap chinese tablet to see if I liked the format.

awful resistive screen (soft and pudgy), no good in bright light.
    Nice OS experience for the version though and fine for browsing on wifi in the house.

Would look again when they come to <£150 for a glass capacitive screen, 1GHz+ CPU and the very latest Android version with full Flash support.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve got an advent Vega running honeycomb and I think its amazing for £200. its starting to replace my macbook pro which I’m going to sell now!

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Have been looking at tablets myself, as dont really use my laptop for anything else other than surfing and a bit of messenger chatting … and the fact my son wants my laptop !!
    question is can i get/use messenger on tablets ?? ..
    cheers

swampi
    Free Member

yes they/well mine comes installed with messenger,, i bought an early zt180 10.1″ restive screen to see if i liked it..works fine, speakers are crap and when u use earphones there is interference and the wifi is crap for long distance, but a year down the line with the hanspree 10.1″ capacative screen @£160 and the advent vega @ £199 they are bargains..the cheap ones are ok but lack of flash support on early ones and crap ish build quality, so in my experience stretch to the hanspree or the vega…even the archos 101 is coming down in price

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cheap tablet PCs – how good/bad are they?’ is closed to new replies.