Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Cheap surfing holidays
  • shermer75
    Free Member

Wouldn’t mind a week’s surfing holiday this winter, I’m a beginner, any ideas? Somewhere where the missus can hang out on the beach would be ideal!

jam-bo

Morocco or Portugal seem to be the go to with my mates.

I can see the appeal right now, surfed Friday morning and couldn’t feel my face when I got out…

skybluestu
    Free Member

I learnt n Morocco in Feb about 10 years back. Amazing place, people and surf for all abilities plus warm!

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Get down to N Devon pronto – it is excellent at the moment.

jam-bo

not really for beginners though..

5lab

Again morocco, done half a dozen trips there over the years, cant fault it

jonnyboi

Saunton or braunton

shermer75
    Free Member

Amazing, thanks! Looks like I’ve got a holiday in Morocco coming up 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

So where are the good spots in Morocco?

Mister-P
    Free Member

http://www.morocsurf.com

I stayed here for a week in November and couldn’t fault it. Great atmosphere, good food, decent surf. I’m definitely going back this year, probably late autumn again.

My flights were just over £100 and the accomodation with board hire, 3 meals a day and yoga in the mornings was £375. Cheaper than a week in Devon.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

FFS…….,Oh sorry…..as per the two comments above don’t consider N Devon….every beach is currently over head and it is to expensive!!!!

simonloco
    Free Member

Winter surf holiday for a beginner, not UK as too cold, other suggestions such Morocco will be far nicer, just be honest with the surf school of your abilities.
    South west is also a bit of a lottery this time of year too blown out or big, Polzeath last Saturday was the biggest I’ve ever seen it & surfable
    couldn’t even get out the back 😯
    http://www.wavelengthmag.com/first-swell-2018-eleanor-aftermath/
    Third to last photo

Mister-P
    Free Member

In North Devon’s defence, I’ll be heading there plenty this year too. I’ve had some cracking winter days surfing down there. I just fancied somewhere a bit warmer for a week.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Don’t forget the Canary Islands.. Glass Beach of Fuerte is popular because it’s near the resort of Corralejo.
    Sagres in Portugal where I go a lot.

salad_dodger

Did you not bother to read the OP genesicore?

ferrals
    Free Member

Algarve in p-gal is good, a real range of waves and swell exposures mean there should be something suitable. It maybe a touch better than Maroc if you have a gf in tow. Think there are guided hols based out of Lagos – so many coves down dirt tracks a bit of knowledge helps. Sagres used to be a bit of a ghost town mid winter but much closer to consistent beaches. Still need a winter suit even though air is warm

toemul
    Free Member

Tynemouth.

bikebouy
    Free Member

3:2 is what we wear this time of year.

I like Sagres because it’s more remote, mates got a surf training complex there which is really special. Plenty of beaches and breaks, from mellow 1ft to head +. Not especially cheap but lovely all the same.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I learnt in Hartlepool in winter 1995.

ferrals
    Free Member

I rember learning in the late 80s / early 90s in a ill fitting hand me down two piece wetsuit, going in in Easter and being so cold I cried all the way home. If I had the choice I think I’d have gone for warm water!

jam-bo

Nothing wrong with north Devon, just the main beaches are humping through at the moment and the sheltered spots on that section of coast aren’t really beginner friendly. Saying that I heard there were waves nearly as far up the Bristol Channel as minehead during Eleanor.

South coast has been absolutely firing for the last week or so. Last bite tomorrow and then back to the devil wind for a while.

Hooded 4/3, boot and gloves here at the moment. Water isn’t too bad it’s the getting in/out that’s the killer.

zippykona

Pictures of N.Devon please!

jonnyboi

Head up to Gloucester and ride the Severn bore. Your missus can go to the the pub 🙂

jam-bo

Nah. South coast is where it’s at…

https://instagram.com/p/Bd07ty5l715/

5lab

Tagazout is the place to base yourself in moroc, either airbnb or a surf camp. Preferably fly in to agadir and get a cab or go to marrakesh for a day for a laugh, then bus to agadir, then cab. Easy to rent boards and suits

BillMC

I’m in Croyde at the mo, the waves down here yesterday were classic. Saunton is a good place to start but a winter wetsuit would make the going very heavy. Go somewhere warm where you can wear a spring suit or a rashy.

zippykona

PICTURES!!!!!!

willt
    Free Member

Furtoventura – I was there a few months ago it’s cheap and warm. glas beach was perfect as well crystal clear water with white sandy beaches. Don’t take a board either there are loads of surf rental shops it’s nit worth the effort.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Will post some from Thursday at N Devon – might be Flickr links!! – yes I read the op comments??

BigJohn

Just got back from Cape Verde. Cheapish flights, cheapish airbnb apartment by the beach in Santa Maria, Sal. Next to the Angulo centre where there’s good surfing (national champion works there) and windsurfing (ex world wave champion owns it). No wetsuit required, sailed in shorts every day.

shermer75
    Free Member

Third to last photo

Impressive!

jam-bo

Polzy but not the beach. Probably surfmatt….

jam-bo

Reminds me. I need to get a longboard this summer.. 😉

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Cheap surfing holidays’ is closed to new replies.