Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cheap (sub £100) Android Tablets
  • BillOddie

Hi,

I need a new tablet for my 6 year old.
    Anything better than the Google Nexus 7 for £99?

Not keen on Amazon Fire tablets as they don’t really run Android.

Cheers!

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Asus zenpad? Very good for not a lot of money. I’m on my second (they’re good but they don’t bounce 🙁 ). Bought first one to replace a considerably more expensive Samsung which expired prematurely.

smurfly13
    Free Member

Maybe not the answer you wanted but a potential to solve your hate of the Amazon Fire 7″

Amazon Fire 7in 5th Gen

My kids have one, and this little tool easily roots it, installs Google Play Store, puts Nova Launcher rather than Amazon Launcher on and gets rid of the start up adds – so pretty much behaves and looks exactly like a standard Android tablet!

Plus its Amazon Prime Day 12th July – so sign up for 30 day free trial and get them in their sale which they are bound to be!!

stumpy01

Mate of mine got a refurbed Asus Zenpad (10″) from ebay recently and was pleased with it, although it was in white, when it was described as black so he sent it back.

I think he only paid about £80 for it.

Apart from that, he was well pleased with it. I can find the details of the seller if you want & post back tomorrow.

scruff9252

I just bought a Alcatel pick 3, 10″ tab last week from Saintsbury’s reduced to ~£70.

Bought it for note taking @ work as trying to go notepadless. It came with a bt keyboard and I’m very impressed so far. Especially as it cost me~£20 after using nectar points!

BillOddie

Cheers all!

stumpy01

The Asus Zenpad I mentioned above is from the Argos Outlet on ebay.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Argos

£65 for an 8″ Asus Zenpad with 16Gb memory, running Android 5.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Asus-Zenpad-8-Inch-1-1-Ghz-1GB-16GB-Android-5-0-Black-/331706810928

noltae
    Free Member

CEX are decent for 2nd hand – and they honour they’re year long guarantee .. They usually have a fair few in stock ..

wors

I’ve got a samsung tab2 you can have for £20

Cougar

As regards the Nexus 7,

Like many others, my N7 2012 been a paperweight for a year or so since the last Android upgrade mullered it. Various things helped but it’s never been quite the same.

A month or so ago I decided to revisit it. I got an AOSP Marshmallow ROM from XDA, wiped the tablet and slapped it on. I can honestly say, it’s brilliant. It’s as fast and responsive as when it was new, now running the very latest Android and everything just works again. Worth a punt off you’ve got one lying around in a drawer somewhere, especially if it’s just to give to the kids.

wors

Cheers Cougar, sounds great.

Can you explain

I got an AOSP Marshmallow ROM from XDA

in dense peoples language please? 😥 and how to do it 😀

Cougar

ROM = system software that makes your device work.

AOSP = Android Open Source Project. Allows the community to develop their own ROMs for devices which no longer have official support.

XDA = the aforementioned community.

You need to root your device, install third party recovery software and then use that to install the new ROM. Then usually install the Google apps on top of it. The exact process varies between devices, I’ll dig out the link when I get home next week if you need.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Over your budget but the new NVidia tablet has an awful lot of power for the money :

https://shield.nvidia.co.uk/store/tablet/k1

my Nexus 9 seemed quick when I first got it but it can struggle at times, which is why I mention the NVidia, its operational lifetime might be longer due to its power. Obviously, with a 6 year old, its lifetime might be limited anyway.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cheap (sub £100) Android Tablets’ is closed to new replies.