Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cheap Shimano Wheels, any good?
  • richmtb

Cheapish Shimano wheels

Specifically the MT55.

I’m after a cheapish replacement wheel for my old Stumpjumper which mainly sees duty commuting.

Tweeks Cycles have the rear MT55 for £75

Anyone have any experience of these wheels

Ta

Rich

maximusmountain
    Free Member

Not these wheels in particular but I did purchase some R500’s for my cross bike (to run a road and cross wheelset) and they have done a fair amount of offroading on some questionably low spoke counts and they are still straight and true and they seem to be the road equivilent. Their cheap stuff seems to be built to be bomb proof and shimano stuff is pretty good quality anyway. More than capable for commuting, probably pretty good for trail centers as well.

kimbers

Ive been running these on my commuter for a couple of years, they are really good done 1000s of miles and still running fine, also ridden off road and (like the wheels themselves) im no lightweight

paladin

I bought these for offroad, some rough stuff but no jumps or anything. They’ve survived almost 1000 miles so far and are still round / spin well. Quite light as well for the price.

richmtb

Thanks guys

My rear hub is fubar (A 10 Year old Hope XC)

A new wheel is a lot cheaper than a replacement hub and wheel build and its only for my commuter / run about bike

FOG

I have MT65s on one bike which are slightly higher spec than 55s but are excellent and I can’t see the 55s not being just as good but a nads heavier.

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve got them on my Inbred. At least one person commented on me having bling wheels 🙂

They’ve been great; they spin around and keep my forks and dropout the same distance from the ground all the time 🙂

scandal42
    Free Member

I had mt15 wheels and for the money they were simply ace.

Took some bad rider hammer.

richmtb

On my Turner 5 spot I have XT wheels, they aren’t the lightest but are absolutely bombproof. They shrug off some pretty sketchy riding on my part, cups need greased and adjusted about once a year.

So I know shimano wheels are good and reliable just wondered if anyone had experience of the MT55’s. Anyway, I’ve clicked “buy” now so I guess I’ll see. I’m sure they will be just fine!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cheap Shimano Wheels, any good?’ is closed to new replies.