Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • (Cheap) Running shoes – any recommendations
  • magowen100
    Free Member

Mornin’ all,
    I’m after some cheap (30-50 quid tops) running shoes and just wondering if anyone has any recommendations?
    I don’t normally run alot but I’ve entered the local triathlon as I love to cycle and swim. The upshot is that I need some trainers for the run but I don’t really know where to start. Any help appreciated!
    Thanks in advance
    Matt

flyingmonkeycorps

Go to a running shop… You can do horrible things to your feet running in the wrong shoes

z1ppy

Go spend the money at a decent/proper running shop, get assessed (on a tread mill) and buy something they recommend.
    Would you buy a cheap bike and really expect it to be any good?
    It’s the same with running shoes, and it’ll save you more in the long run.

To be fair the last pair I bought (couple of years back now though) were only £60, and the most comfortable trainers I’ve ever bought. So it may only cost you a little more than your suggested budget

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You can do horrible things to your feet running in the wrong shoes

You really would struggle to do anything to ruin yourself contrary to what some people would have you believe.

Get yourself to a shop, try some on, if they fit then you’ll be fine*

After all you are doing a triathlon so you are (probably) only doing a 6.2 mile run – hardly ‘horrible things to your feet’ territory. Just be sure to train properly – just very short runs to start with.

*Probably

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And, for what it’s worth, I trained (hard – 4 times a week, up to 12 mile training runs, for 9 months) to do the GNR in a pair of Reebok shoes I got cheapo off the interweb – from here BTW

I then decided I enjoyed running so I would treat myself to a proper fitting by a very well respected running shop. I spent the best part of £100 on a pair they recommended based on my gait etc and they have always been much more uncomfortable and I get numbness in my toes when running uphill.

I still have the original GNR pair and I prefer them.

MSP

Its worth knowing if you need something for pronation or supination, that can have a big impact on comfort for training miles. If you heavier then a bit more cushioning can help. You need to try them on to make sure a manufacturer’s last suits you, rubbing is a quick way to give up on running.
    But no need to get carried away with big price tags you should be able to find something in your price range without a problem

MRanger156
    Free Member

Sports soccer, JJB, sportshoes etc will have some cheap ones I imagine. Go for a good brand. I got some Asics for £40 that I trained for and did a half marathon in no bother.

funkynick

According to t’other half’s podiatrist the best thing to do is get inner soles which correct for any foot issues and then just buy whatever running shoes fit the best.

I think that in most cases, most people will do just fine in whatever running shoes they buy. It’s only if you are doing a lot of running, or have a particular issue, that you’d need to be more careful.

Now, knowing if you have a particular issue is probably the tricky bit!

IanMunro
    Free Member

School style plimsolls are cheap. Never needed gait analysis to wear em either 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Now, knowing if you have a particular issue is probably the tricky bit!

This is true and it turned out I had a ‘particular issue’ for which I needed special needs trainers to correct my over-pronation. Didn’t do me any good though (unless correctly fitting running shoes are meant to be more uncomfortable)?

downshep

Assuming you are running on road over longish training runs, two things matter, the fit on your foot and the control / support required by your gait / running style.

Going to a pukka shop for assessment is safest but can be very expensive. A cheaper alternative is to carry out a wet foot test at home as advised by various running sites, also look at the wear pattern on existing trainers. Both should give you an idea of your gait. Most people overpronate slightly and are suited to stability shoes. You may or may not be one of them.

Visit a cut price outlet that stocks end of line / last season decent branded shoes, I use TK Maxx but JJB / JD sports also stock decent stuff amongst the chaff. Find a brand /size that fits your feet as last shape and published size varies between brands. Check that manufacturer’s web site for their comfort / stability / motion control shoe ranges. Choose a shoe from the range that suits your gait. Don’t buy the wrong type just ‘cos it’s cheap, stock changes, you don’t.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve not paid over £35 for any trainers I’ve had in the last 15 years, however thats because I found the right brand for my feet which are Saucony, they just feel right on my foot.

I’ve asked a few serious club runners about going and getting they running style analysed and therefore paying over the odds for the trainers… they dont bother, they just know what feels right when its on their feet.

Luckily this is not far from me http://www.sportsshoes.com/ so I just try a few different models on each time, depending on what I want to run on ie road or moorland.

funkynick

m_f… I do think that sometimes it’s in the running shops best interests to find a ‘condition’. It’d probably worth you speaking to a podiatrist and getting that checked by them, and unless you need custom made inner soles then the off the peg ones are relatively cheap and seem to work pretty well on t’other half.

magowen100
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice guys.
    In terms of having a fitting session – I would if I was serious about running but I’m not. I hate it. It’s only becasue it is part of the tri that I’m even thinking about it so I see no point in getting a perfect fit for one 10K run a couple of warm ups.
    There’s a bit of a limited range available locally (deepest darkest Wales) so it’s probably going to have to be a t’interweb purchase hence the question. I’ve seen cheapish Saucony trainers from Wiggle but I don’t know if there are any brands to avoid/ look for.
    Cheers again
    Matt

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Saucony are good and currently got a pair, as are New Balance.

If you are only doing a few miles and aren’t taking it too seriously then don’t bother with Nike Air Whizz Bangs. They’ll only go pop.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’d say spend minimum £150. Or go barefoot.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

m_f… I do think that sometimes it’s in the running shops best interests to find a ‘condition’. It’d probably worth you speaking to a podiatrist and getting that checked by them, and unless you need custom made inner soles then the off the peg ones are relatively cheap and seem to work pretty well on t’other half.

Yeah I tend to agree – to be fair I am happy just using my old trainers 🙂

meganrunning
    Free Member

Hi Magowen, not seen anyone mention this yet but it might be a good place to start…

Sportsshoes.com have a ‘Choosing the right running shoe’ video which tells you how to perform a home ‘wet test’ to help you determine your running style.

The trainers for sale on site also have icons next to them to say which running style they are good for. Plenty available for under £50!

Hope that helps.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’d take the wet foot test with a pinch of salt though, it’s been pretty much discredited.
    http://sportspodiatryinfo.wordpress.com/2011/02/02/choosing-running-shoes-the-evidence-behind-the-recommendations/

magowen100
    Free Member

Hmmm – interesting info I’ll have a look at that website Meganrunning.
    Any information is better than none!
    Once again cheers for the replies and information from all those that have responded.

stanfree
    Free Member
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘(Cheap) Running shoes – any recommendations’ is closed to new replies.