Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cheap Road STI levers
  • mjsmke

I have a road bike in very good condition apart from the sticky 8 speed shimano R600 levers that need pumping to change gear. Soaking in GT85 cures it for about 1 week.

I want to upgrade the levers from 8 speed to 9 or 10 speed as cheap as possible and quite like the idea of a 1x setup like my MTB. I’ve been looking at some 9 speed levers on eBay but they still go for quite a lot and the bikes really only used in winter and the odd commute. Are there any left hand levers that are brake only to match a 9/10 speed right hand lever? Or am i better off just watching eBay for a bargain?

thomthumb
    Free Member

have you considered bar end shifters and brake levers?

nemesis
    Free Member

9 speed levers are going up in price as they’re getting more rare.

I’d look at a 10 speed set up as you’ll have more choice.

Most people who do 1x still use a standard LH sti nowadays.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sbob
    Free Member

Wouldn’t the hoods end up being asymmetrical, which would be freaky and horrible?

RustySpanner

Microshift have some MTB 10 speed indexed bar end shifters.

MTB 10 speed cassette & mech and you’ve got a wide range 1* on the cheap.

nemesis
    Free Member

sbob – it worked for Lance (and many others) so what could possibly go wrong 🙂

(note – it was for weight saving and they used a downtube shift lever for the front mech)

mjsmke

Thanks for the ideas.

I didn’t think about bar end shifters so that could be an option. I’ll have a look at 10 speed too to see whats out there.

Regarding mis-matched levers – I’m not bothered about the asthetics as long as the hoods feel the same.

colin9

How cheap is cheap? I’ll sell you a set of Sora 9spd shifters for £30 if you like, I’ve just upgraded to 105. They are the ones with the downshift on the hoods, version 3400 maybe. My email’s in my profile.

Kryton57

Or I have 2 x 9 speed Sora 3500 – the one with dual shift paddles no thumb lever as I also have upgraded – I also have the front x 2 mech.

You can have the shifters for £40 posted, I throw the Front Mech in for £47.00

Email in profile if you want to discuss it.

mjsmke

I am very tempted by both offers. Theres a few things on eBay i’m watching that end in 2 days so I’ll let you know.

Bar end levers seem quite expensive for what they are.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cheap Road STI levers’ is closed to new replies.