Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cheap road disc frameset wanted; what're my options?
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

A mate want’s a disc braked road bike for £1000. The current favourite is a Cannondale Synapse disc, but I thought I’d see what I could build up for £1000.

Apart from the PX London Road (are these any good?) what else is available? Budget for the frameset is £200 to £300.

Many thanks

coomber
    Free Member

Pinnacle framesets look nice check out Evans website and reviews on here

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Cheers; will do!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Looks decent that; bit nicer than the PX. Would jsut have to scrimp on a few other bits to get it on budget.

peteimpreza

Get the Cannondale bought. The frame is awesome. Ride it and you will think it’s carbon.

ceepers

Cannondale is a proper road bike, others mentioned above are less “proper” road. Does he want to take it off road?

peteimpreza

Been taking my ‘Dale off road for light gnarmac/graaaaaavel duties.

28mm tyres fitted and no issues to date.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I am having the same question op. Synapse is up there and does ride like a road bike who have I suspect Arkose LR etc won’t, tho I’d have had the latter for £150 if it hadn’t sold out in L.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Ribble have some disc bikes out now. Didn’t check the price but they’ll be cheapish.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

No doubt the Cannondale is a decent bike, but for less money I could build her up a London Road with better kit. Although after seeing that Pinnacle; that looks like a better frame than the PX.

It’ll probably never get taken off road, just used for short road rides. I think a rim braked bike might be better, althoguh her current bike has discs and they’re probably not a bad shout from a fit and forget point of view?

Cheers Reggie, I’ll have a look at Ribble.

Did do a bit of a price up and a London road could be built with those Kinesis wheels/full 105/TRP spyres for less than the Cannondale. THe Pinnacle would have to have cheaper wheels to stay under a grand.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Just had a look at that Ribble and I don’t think it’s available as a frame only. The full build isn’t too bad, but it’s over a grand and the brakes/tyres/finishing kit doesn’t look great.

vintagewino
    Free Member

where can one buy this synapse frame you speak of?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Bike only AFAIK

teadrinker
    Free Member

david my arksoe in the link above that someone kindly posted came in circa a £1000 and that’s with Ultegra and Hope Wheelset.

Shop around for the parts, I used Bike 24 (wheels) and then Wiggle/CRC/Ribble/Freeborn for the rest. Took a while to cost compare it all but worth it and then got everything via Topcashback.

peteimpreza

What size are you after?

You can get 54cm Synapses for £1049 with Ultegra from Pauls Cycles.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cheap road disc frameset wanted; what're my options?’ is closed to new replies.