Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • cheap road bike for smart turbo trainer
  • joeh90
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’m looking to replace my exercise bike with a smart turbo trainer so I can use Zwift. I’m new to the whole thing but after doing some research I’m looking to probably get the Tacx Flow Smart TT2240, but it still leaves me needing a road bike. I’ve never had one and have no idea what to look for. I also have no intention of actually riding it on the road, this is purely for an indoor setup. Does it therefore matter what road bike I get? If not, does anybody have any advice on where should I look for a really cheap one? Do I need to make sure I get any specific bike parts or anything? Also, if you have any feedback on the TT240 or any other recommendations that would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks!

joebristol

I’ve only used a turbo a few times in the garage with my normal road bike. Can’t see it makes much difference what you get as long as it has a quick release wheel that’s compatible with the turbo you buy, the gears work smoothly and it’s comfortable for you to sit on and pedal (so the right size).

In that case I’d go second hand and try to find a bargain. If it looked nice that would probably encourage you to use it more – at least it would for me. I’d probably be trying to find something like my old cannondale caad 9 in liquigas colour schemes as I loved how that bike looked (wish I’d never got rid of it).

lunge

If New, head to Decathlon and pick up a B’Twin cheap thing. If not, trawl the wants ads, any road bike will do.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d just get something second hand, road bikes depreciate at about the same rate as mountain bikes, but get nowhere near the use and abuse.

A CAAD10, for example, can be had for ~£400 second hand on ebay and is an incredibly good frame (arguably wasted as a turbo bike!).

But if you genuinely have no intention of riding on the road, why bother? Just get an old MTB frame that’s close enough a match for your main bikes geometry (doesn’t need to look pretty, a good match for an enduro bike might be a road bike several sizes too big and a really high rise and long stem with flat bars). The only necessity is a completely slick rear tyre and a big enough gear (turbo trainers are optimised to work with 52t chainsets really).

Geometry does have an impact on fitness, being quick on a road bike on a turbo will use different muscles to sitting and spinning a more upright bike up fire road.

I also have no intention of actually riding it on the road

Try it, if you’re fit enough meet up with a road club on a Sunday for their club run and the fast/easy pace is addictive, until you join the fast group then it’s a 4 hour whirlwind of suffering, coffee, and cake.

daviek

if you have another bike why not get a spare wheel with a turbo specific tyre on it? I know some dont like these tyres but i had no problem with it.

joeh90
    Free Member

Thanks so much for the replies so far, I really appreciate the input. As opposed to buying a Tacx Flow Smart, I’m also looking at a direct drive trainer – the one that stands out for me and is within my price range is the Elite Direto. Does this change the quality of road bike I’d need to pair it with?

lunge

Does this change the quality of road bike I’d need to pair it with?

Nope, just make sure it’s standard QR skewer and that the cassette you fit to the turbo is the same (well, same speed at least) as the one on the bike. I guess you could just take the cassette off the new bikes wheel if you don’t intend to ride it outside.

ctk
    Free Member

Check ebay locally. You can get something decent for £300 or less.

mboy
    Free Member

How tall are you? I may have a bargain for you if it fits…

joeh90
    Free Member

5ft9′ – interested to hear of this bargain 🙂

joeh90
    Free Member

Also, what are your experiences with smart turbo trainer and road bike sales on black Friday – have there been good deals in the past/is it worth waiting until then?

sweaman2
    Free Member

Depending on your mountain bike axle it might fit some direct drives already. e.g The Elite direto works with 142x12mm. You might even be able to afford a more pricy trainer for the same price as cheap(er) trainer + cheap bike.

andy4d

I just put the trainer tyre on my old skool 26″ hardtail rather than get new bike, or a spare wheel/tyre for what ever bike you have currently. Getting a bike just for a turbo seems excessive to me.

joeh90
    Free Member

I don’t have a bike at all at the moment. I am genuinely a complete novice and really have no idea about bikes and their parts.

I guess it would be nicer to get something new, considering it’s very much going to stay indoors (unless I do suddenly get an urge to join a club, who knows?)

Suppose I get the Elite Direto, I would also need to get a Shimano 9/10/11 speed cassette to fit. Can I just go and get a Shimano Ultegra 11 speed and fit it to, say, a B’Twin Triban 500 SE (which comes with a Shimano 8 speed cassette) from Decathlon or do other parts of the bike then need upgrading too? All the lingo is also very new to me, as you can probably tell!

downhillfast
    Free Member

The Tacx Flow 2240 will take either 26″ or 700c wheels.
    Tbh if you’re doing it “on the cheap” then just about any bike with a slick tyre on the rear will work (as the bike remains static it could weigh 50lbs and it wouldn’t matter).

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I bought a cheap Trek just fitted a turbo tyre. Its never seen tarmac. Its ideal to have your turbo setup all the time. I bought last years about this time I think. Its 3×9 and I haven’t found that’s a problem. Its made me turbo on zwift more.

I have TACX Vortex superb, best upgrade I have ever bought I’m tons fitter now.

nathb
    Free Member

Cheap road bikes, I think these are the best ones: https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-performance-pr7-road-bike-shoe-pedal-deal-99308.html
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-se-road-bike-id_8306187.html

With the merlin one (when back in stock), you’d just need to add a turbo and trainer wheel.

anagallis_arvensis

Is it me or is this thread one of the most depressing things on the internet, almost as bad as people posting 5 hour zwift rides on strava

nathb
    Free Member

Almost as depressing as people belittling things they aren’t into?

anagallis_arvensis

Almost as depressing as people belittling things they aren’t into?

Maybe but missing out on the simple joy of riding a bike outside seems a real shame to me. Maybe its just me.

andy4d

In all seriousness if it’s just going to stay indoors what about an exercise bike…….more compact and may well be cheaper than a bike plus trainer.

joeh90
    Free Member

I already have an exercise bike – the idea of getting a smart turbo trainer is to get a little more enjoyment out of my exercise sessions. There’s the Wattbike Atom at £1500 but I think a road bike + smart turbo trainer is a better combination, because I may at some point want to cycle in the great outdoors.

Also, anagallis_arvensis, I don’t know where you live but in Central London you’re lucky if you can pedal 50 metres without having to stop at traffic lights… Not very good for a focused workout.

nathb
    Free Member

Yeah you can dream of the great outdoors while sat in front of the television.

I’m going to go Zwift and keep a degree of fitness for next summer 🙂

P.s. Zwift vs real life has been done to death, it’s boring and goes round in circles…. 😆

scaredypants

I may at some point want to cycle in the great outdoors

That’s a better reason for wanting A “new” bike

If it’s purely for zwifting on a direct mount trainer, honestly, get down to your local tip or somewhere (or ebay if you must) and buy something barely serviceable – all you need is a working drivetrain, gears and somewhere to sit

In fact I’d do that anyway and then a proper bike for outside if/when you decide that’s a goer (you don’t want to be mounting & unmounting the bike on the trainer)

8sp gear shifters need an 8sp cassette, by the way – 11sp cassette won’t work

anagallis_arvensis

Zwift vs real life has been done to death, it’s boring and goes round in circles….

No it goes nowhere!!
    No problem with Zwift if thats your thing but looking at riders in a local Strava club someone did a 5 hour zwift ride. Thats just nuts. Get yourself outside!!

Travis

Friend of mine has done the same. He got a good deal on a Voodoo at Halfords, and put it on his Smart trainer.

jako

If you haven’t bought the smart trainer yet, I would get the Wattbike Atom instead

sockpuppet

Can you get power meter pedals and fit them to the exercise bike?

Lots of cheap vector 2s out there now the vector 3 is on sale

Single sided would be fine for that, then you wouldn’t need the smart trainer or the superfluous bike

joeh90
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestion, sockpuppet. It’s good to know there are lots of options available.

I’ve had the exercise bike for about 10 years so it would be nice to upgrade. Given the Direto requires a 9/10/11 speed cassette, this means I would need to invest significantly more in a road bike to match, right?

wilburt
    Free Member

I went for run and then did a two hour night mtb ride yesterday, tonight I’ve had an hour on Zwift. At the weekend I’ll be riding on the road.

It doesn’t have to be one or the other.

As for the turbo bike, I think slick gears are important, it bothers me more on the trainer than the road if there not right.

fossy

Point to note:- sweat is a nasty corrosive. I put a nice vintage 653 Ribble (Terry Dolan built) on a new turbo after getting my back broken for recovery. Didn’t wash the bike down for a few months, then did, and found it had surface corroded the underside of the top tube. Bugger.

It will be going in for powder coating soon – no major damage but the temporary hammerite looks crap (it’s only sat on the turbo). A nice frame needs looking after.

joeh90
    Free Member

Thanks fossy – I’ll be sure to wipe the frame after every use to avoid this.

scaredypants – thanks for clarifying. I’ve seen a few other forum posts related to using an 8 speed cassette on the Direto and other Elite direct drive trainers – they mention using a spacer but not the thickness required. Does anybody know?

scaredypants

1.8mm, I think

bike shop would advise and might even give you one (or scavenge a part from a worn-out cassette for you)

joeh90
    Free Member

Thanks, scaredypants. I’m going to pop to Halfords this weekend to take a closer look and will also visit my local bike shop.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have a Wahoo Kickr – didn’t get a Tacx as they have such a poor reputation for support.

If you get a direct drive smart trainer and use if for structured training only it is feasible to only use minimal parts from a bike, you don’t need a rear wheel, brakes, or even gears if you stick to mode.

Cheap steel road frame would do.

I wouldn’t get a mtb frame as the drops on a road bike give you a nice standing position, mushc better than a mtb.

If it is direct drive you can ‘fold’ the bike back out of the way a lot easier, ie. only drop it down when you need it.

I don’t like the rigidity of a lot of trainers so I use some thin sorbothane pads under the side supports of my kicker so it rocks a little, so it is more like a real ride.

I am glad I spent out on the kickr as it is solid, well supported, and I use it a lot as it is permanently set up and so no prep needed.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘cheap road bike for smart turbo trainer’ is closed to new replies.