Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Cheap Road Bike
  • mudslinger
    Free Member

I’m on the lookout for a cheap road bike i.e. £350 max. I know 2nd hand would give me more options but I don’t know anything about road bikes. Also I’m self employed so I’ll be buying it through my non official cycle to work scheme i.e. my company will buy me what I want.

The bikes I’m considering are the following:

Claud Butler Criterium
    Cheapest I’ve seen this is £263.99

Giant SCR 4.0
    Cheapest I’ve seen for this is £319.99 for a 2008 (I think)

Carrera Virtuso
    Halfords £325

Vitus Razor
    CRC £325
    I’ve never heard of Vitus before & CRC haven’t put the details up yet. Looks nice but I’m wary of this.

Some have steel forks whereas others have steel – is there any preference? I’ve seen some bikes have 2 chainrings whereas others have 3 – what are the pros & cons of 2 vs 3 on a roadie?

I’ve not ridden a drop bar bike for 20 years so I’m hoping to borrow a neighbours old bike to see how I get on with it. If I don’t like it then I’ll consider a flat bar bike such as the Giant FCR 3.

I’d welcome views on the above or any other bikes.

roblerner
    Free Member

Some have steel forks whereas others have steel – is there any preference?

Out of those options, steel is the best 😉

A triple ring setup gives you more lower gear options (good if you’re new/unfit). Double is lighter & good when you never use the granny ring.

Out of the 4 bikes I’d be most tempted by the Vitus, although if it was my money I’d be going second hand. You need to sit on a few bikes in a shop and get a good fit – this is more important for roadies than mountain bikes.

timdrayton
    Free Member

i quite fancy a cheap giant tcr (if i can find a small anywhere) does anyone know if the frame is the same throughout the range (like the old xtcs used to be), and is it any good, ie a good basis for future upgrades?

mudslinger
    Free Member

Thanks Rob. Why would you be most tempted by the Vitus?

I agree that trying them in a shop is really important & that is a -ve point regarding the Vitus.

I’m pretty fit so from what you say maybe only need a double chainring.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Cheap Road Bike’ is closed to new replies.