Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Cheap rim braking 650b wheelset
  • alfabus
    Free Member

As a follow on from my thread of this morning: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/look-what-i-was-given-this-weekend-tandem-content

I was thinking about getting some new 650b wheels with a better rim braking surface (and more standard freehub) than the clunkers on my new mega niche tandem.

I had a quick google, and apart from very spangly looking american classic or stans offerings, I can’t see many 650b wheelsets for sale… certainly none around the £100 for the set cheapness that I’d like.

Anyone got any links or recommendations?

Cheers,
    Dave

munrobiker
    Free Member

You will not find what you are after easily, if at all. Your best bet on that will be second hand and even then it will take some serious rummaging. Try the cycle forum.

For new your best bet is to go to a proper bike shop with an account with someone that can get Wilkinson or maybe Target wheels. Bob Elliott’s are probably the most likely to have them. We had a lot of student bikes that were mid 60s to deal with and I don’t think we ever found any 650b wheels that were suitable for that sort of money.

Are you sure it is 650b? Not one of the myriad of other wheel sizes available then?

alfabus
    Free Member

cheers munrobiker

the wheels on there at the moment are 650a (aka 26×1 3/8″), but the brakes have enough reach to stretch the 6 or so more millimetres for a 650b wheel, and I figured that would have twin benefits:

1. more wheels and tyres available, due to current fashions
    2. room for me to run a higher volume tyre under the current guards, and without changing the brake calipers (all 3 of them 😉 )

Dave

munrobiker
    Free Member

Yes, they will work in that then. As 650b is a niche product currently limited to the high end though I think it doesn’t really open up many more options for you.

Like I say, any Bob Elliot dealer will be your best bet along with second hand, but I’d not hope too much!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Cheap rim braking 650b wheelset’ is closed to new replies.