Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Cheap riding holiday at the end of March?
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Somehow I’ve been given the last two weeks of March off work. I haven’t been on a proper riding holiday since I went to Whistler in 2011 and would really like just a few days away riding some dry trails in proper mountains. However I’m moving into my own place this week and have so much crap to buy for it that I doubt I can afford anything worthwhile without putting it on a credit card. Cheapest deal I’ve seen is the long weekend with Ride Portugal which I’m tempted by as it wouldn’t take me too long to pay off on a CC.

Other option is to make do without the weather and ride somewhere in the UK where I’d never normally travel to for a day – maybe somewhere down south? Tbh I think this is the most likely option but I dunno where to go.I mainly ride dh/fr stuff but also enjoy a good xc epic. I’ve always wanted to ride in Scotland but what are the chances of getting a bit of dry weather in March?

lucien

Dry, dusty trails down south, in March…..at the present time that seems a dim and distant thing – there is so much water, slush, mud and flooding around

Have you considered that rocks might be another option – less weather dependent at least, so perhaps N. Wales or up with the Sweaty’s?

Other than that, something self supported in Spain / Portugal – a nice easy jet flight, cheap accommodation, map, maybe a mate or two?

_tom_
    Free Member

Dry, dusty trails down south, in March…..at the present time that seems a dim and distant thing – there is so much water, slush, mud and flooding around

Yeah now you mention it.. 😆 That’s why I said I should probably forget about nice weather if I’m staying here. None of my mates have the same time off so I’ll have to go alone but yeah spain or portugal would be nice.

donncha

Get the ferry to Ireland?
    Can guarantee good trails but not necessarily dry weather!
    For example, http://www.mountainbikeni.com/

mooseface
    Free Member

Without jumping your thread I’m keen to here where people would recommend for a few days riding down south

lucien

Assuming it’s sunny / dry……

South Downs
    Purbecks
    Surrey Hills
    Swinley / Similar MOD’esqe stuff

If you are talking South Coast, as you venture into Medips, Dartmoor, Exmoor etc – loads of other stuff

saxabar
    Free Member

Malaga/Spain looking mighty nice. Reasonable prices too.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah southern Spain should be perfect.

There’s a few operators in the Sierra Nevada area, I’ve heard good things about ciclo Montana.

_tom_
    Free Member

Ah yeah that stuff in Ireland looks great, I remember reading about it in STW or Dirt a while back! Would be ideal if I can get a cheap ferry as well..

davidisaacs
    Free Member

you wont find better value in the Sierra Nevada, Andalucia, Spain than with http://www.bikingandalucia.com for sure!

donncha

Loads of cheap (& v nice) hotels if you check out groupon or pigsback websites. Or use hostels & b&bs.
    Plenty of other stuff to do & see as well.
    Give me a shout if you want any more info about the Irish trails or general info.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I have a few days to take before the end of March and was thinking about a few days in Spain. Iv done this a few times. Fly to Malaga – get a really cheap hire car and go visit El Chorro and Fuengirola. Fantastic riding at both. There is an English guide living in El Chorro and a larger outfit in Fuengirola called Sierra cycles. The only thing putting me off is the cost of taking my bike on the plane seems to have gone through the roof 🙁

_tom_
    Free Member

Oh really? How much is it for flights now then? It was £60 return for canada a few years ago!

ndthornton
    Free Member

I had a look at Ryanair and it was £50 each way – They also seem to be arsey about shoving your cloths in with the bike so hold luggage might be required as well. Haven’t looked at costs for other airlines

alan-sierracycling
    Free Member

We are based right on the beach with plenty of Winter sun to enjoy.
    Stunning singletrack rides with plenty of bus uplift during the day & fun après-bike on the coast at night.
    We use “Giant Trance 2” for our bike fleet so no need to bring your own. Ive heard Ryanair charge 100 pounds return for bike transport.

http://www.sierracycling.com fantastic biking since 1992.

ndthornton
    Free Member

alan-sierracycling

bit of a cheeky hijack but…..
    How much would it be for the week starting 16th Feb for myself and (non riding) girlfriend?

alan-sierracycling
    Free Member

bit of a cheeky hijack but…..
    How much would it be for the week starting 16th Feb for myself and (non riding) girlfriend?

Cost for a week would be 480 Euros per person with 40% discount for your non-biking girlfriend. (Plenty of other things for her to do in Fuengirola). Bike hire extra.

frogstomp

We’re off to Tenerife towards the end of March with Lavatrax. Can’t comment on the riding / guiding as we’ve not been before (but heard good things!) but the guiding and accommodation are separate (but they help you organise it) so you can keep the cost down by going for a cheaper option.

mooseface
    Free Member

_tom_ im only down the road from woburn if your up for a ride up there one day

mallorcadave
    Free Member

You could always try Mallorca I am off to do my leader qualifications beginning of march so will be itching to get going!
    Check out my Facebook page and my Youtube channel
    Web site to follow soon
    We can organise accomodation to suite from luxury villa sleeping 8 to local hostals depending on your budget.

Trekster

Done a couple of cheap package hols to the Costas and went with Alan’s crew on a daily basis a couple of times, hiring a hard tail and a guide. 😆

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Cheap riding holiday at the end of March?’ is closed to new replies.