Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Cheap Pc. These any good?
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

Looking for a cheap desk top. All we do is browse the web, store photos, and watch a very occasional bit of You tube plus email and the odd MS office task. Got all the other bits.
    No idea what all the tech stuff means but I would guess that its still better than the current lump that’s about 4 years old and playing up.
    The size is irrelevant but did look handy.

cranberry
    Free Member

Did you mean to include a link to the PC or its spec?

br
    Free Member

Why a desktop, just get a laptop – you can still use you monitor/keyboard etc.

molgrips
    Free Member

Chromebox?

Why a desktop

Desktops perform better and are cheaper, and will probaly last longer.

seavers
    Free Member

Maybe this can give you a good starting point, hard to know what you consider cheap but these machines start pretty low.

http://www.ebuyer.com/643319-zoostorm-desktop-pc-7260-8000

Have a look at the different options to find something suitable. You could check HUKD for more. They love a cheap PC!

takisawa2

All we do is browse the web, store photos, and watch a very occasional bit of You tube plus email and the odd MS office task.

I bought a HP dual core something something, with Windows 7, from tier1online, for £99.
    It does exactly the above in our house also, along with streaming films to the TV occasionally.
    Had the last Dell one from them too, it worked faultlessly for 4 years.
    Only upgraded because it was £20 more than buying a copy of Windows 7.
    Its all ex-company IT equipment, but comes with a warranty etc.

Duffer
    Free Member

current lump that’s about 4 years old and playing up

In what way? You’ll be surprised at the problems a fresh install of Windoze can solve.

mattsccm
    Free Member

balls
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1090655.htm#pdpFullProductInformation
    Gone super slow on the web. Dial up speed or locks up. Fine otherwise.
    W7 setup . Strikes me that any PC wizard will charge me a good chunk of that price above anyway.
    Had a windows critical update yesterday and the web just stopped completely. System reset brought it back but I guess that not ideal

Duffer
    Free Member

What antivirus are you running? They can bring your download / upload speeds down, as they can get carried away scanning everything.

Perhaps try a different browser… Chrome or Firefox might be the ticket.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Chrome is horrible. Slows everything and just goes pear shape. Not messing around with things like browser. It did work so why the deterioration?
    Some form of Norton AV which shows no issues and is as good as anything. Again its been fine for years but has noticeably slowed in last few months. That doesn’t match any new installation.
    Don’t start a punch up there 😆
    As near as damn it identical set up on the laptop which is fine. Even same AV, both 1 of 3 user.
    Don’t want to spend money but rather have a new one than pay some one to fix it. However if anyone points me to a cheaper fix , great.

Cougar

Send it to me.

scaredypants

back up your files to a separate disk and then reinstall windows

“step away from the norton” is a sort of mantra among IT folk that I know

molgrips
    Free Member

Chrome is horrible. Slows everything and just goes pear shape.

Been using Chrome for years precisely because it’s fast and reliable 🙂

You have some other problem, probably something using up memory, but definitely ditch Norton. Known to randomly go nuts and cripple your pc iirc.

jonba
    Free Member

back up your files to a separate disk and then reinstall windows

“step away from the norton” is a sort of mantra among IT folk that I know

Try this first.

I bought a pc from Chillblast.

Duffer
    Free Member

As above, try ditching norton and perhaps try another browser. Failing that, reinstall.

If you’re machine is working fine (excepting the browsing the ‘net) then i’d suggest your hardware is not the issue. Buy a new machine if you must, but i suspect yours is fine.

nickjb
    Free Member

Some form of Norton AV

there’s at least one of your issues. Fix that first and see how it goes.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

I always wonder what people imagine happens to their pc after a couple of years that makes a new one vital. Unless you have installed lots of newer software your pc will be as good after 4 yrars as when you bought it. They just need a bit of maintenance like any piece of technical equipment. Norton is dog shit by the way and is probably the real issue.

gobuchul
    Free Member

As has been mentioned several times ditch Norton. It is terrible.

I have never heard of Chrome causing problems.

Re-install or if your system has it try a system restore.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Cheap Pc. These any good?’ is closed to new replies.