Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Cheap parts on an otherwise expensive bike. What works for you ?
  • njee20
    Free Member

Depends what you call worn out! I keep the whole transmission for a year, then throw it all in the bin!

Were I to get a new chain now, I'm sure it'd object to the cassette wear, but there's no way in hell I'm forking out for a new XX cassette!

scottidog
    Free Member

G-G-G-GGHETTO tubeless. Brrrraap!

duntmatter
    Free Member

I keep the whole transmission for a year, then throw it all in the bin!

😯

8 year old Spesh grips off a second hand Hardrock are on their 3rd bike now, my Nicolai Helius.

meehaja
    Free Member

All my bikes run FSA pig headsets. Easy to fit, impossible to mess up, £12 brand new and easy to maintain. I'd like a chris king or hope, I really would, but they do the same job and I can't feel any difference!

louis1978uk
    Free Member

deore crappy black shifters,deore lx bb mount front mech(bloody things indestructable)
    cheapo silver seat post as looks sweet on the frame,although is v light.so cheap was practically paid to take it from the shop(lol)

samuri
    Free Member

Pig headsets for sure. Pity they no longer make them, they were fantastic!

I'll also go for bottom end shimano SPD pedals, no worse than anything more expensive, just heavier.

And LX square taper BB's, 12 quid or something, last just as long as anything else out there.

njee20
    Free Member

What's wrong with that Duntmatter? It's totally worn out after a year, and rather than buying chains throughout the year I wear it all out together.

I do tend to change the bike every year too, so it just means not putting a worn transmission on a new bike, which makes sense to me!

Northwind

Deore rings on XTR cranks for me. And 50p Tescos electric tape instead of Stans yellow tape.

chakaping
    Free Member

Pig headsets for me too. So cheap and so reliable that I can't resist, even though I know they're heavy.

PVC tape for rim tape and M-Part seatpost clamp. I'd forgotten I use those until someone else mentioned them.
    Practical Matt is the only one to own up to using Bike Hut stuff so far then. 😀
    As for clothing, I've raced with 3 pairs for £1 Tesco socks inside £80 North Wave shoes.

wl
    Free Member

Truvativ stems – 40 or 50mm, £20.

njee20
    Free Member

I must admit I drew the line at Superstar road pads on £1500 carbon wheels! I fitted them, looked at the bike and scratched my head for a few minutes, then took them out and put some SwissStops in, sure they'd have been fine, but I just couldn't do it!

duntmatter
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

What's wrong with that Dduntmatter?

There's nowt wrong with it. I was just surprised at the difference in our levels of expenditure, and attitudes to how disposable / useable things are.

rotary
    Free Member

black insulation tape 😀

el_diablo
    Free Member

I've got quite a lot of Decathlon and Aldi bike clothing, but my bikes tend to be a bit of a bling fest – (Orange 5 SE)

joe@brookscycles
    Free Member

Not 'cheap' as such, but I use ancient M747 pedals on my otherwise fairly bling £3k-ish Anthem X. I just can't find any reason not to use them.

njee20
    Free Member

There's nowt wrong with it. I was just surprised at the difference in our levels of expenditure, and attitudes to how disposable / useable things are.

Fair enough, I should say, if you didn't know, that I get my bikes heavily subsidised, use for a year and sell on. Were I paying full price I would a) not buy such expensive kit and b) keep it longer. But the chain/cassette/rings are totally destroyed after a year, so they'd need doing anyway!

cynic-al
    Free Member

And you work in LBS, don't have a mortgage etc?

I was the same in those days, but high end quite different then. Still manage a few treats though (2 new frames last year :oops:)

Ewan
    Free Member

I've got SLX on my Nomad, which I suppose is a bit ghetto, along with super star pads and grips. However the most ghetto thing on all of my bikes is the tons of gaffer tape – all over them on rub points. I suppose I should spend more to make the bike look less shit, but I just can't bring myself to!

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

On the M520 SPDs, I just picked up two pairs on Ebay, in beautiful white, for £13 a pop. EPIC.

Edric64
    Free Member

My single speed has a nos Mavic 231 rim on Deore dx hub 20 quid off ebay

njee20
    Free Member

And you work in LBS, don't have a mortgage etc?

Not worked in the LBS for a couple of years, still get cheap kit from them though, pay far too much rent too, think a sensible mortgage would be cheaper!

aracer
    Free Member

It's totally worn out after a year, and rather than buying chains throughout the year I wear it all out together.

Yeah, but for more normal people who don't dispose of a complete bike after a year, it's a false economy not to change your chain sooner.

I'm struggling to think of cheap bits on my expensive bikes – though I have kind of done the opposite. I have Campag Record on a £400 Pedalforce frame.

njee20
    Free Member

I've often totted that up in my head though, and I'm not so sure, at least excluding XX where the cassette is silly money.

If you use X9SL chains on XTR cassettes at £40 and £120 respectively. Assuming you use 3 chains in a year, it's cheaper to keep one for the year and replace with the cassette.

I did used to do that before I changed bikes so often, but I'm not so sure it works that well, you spend a fortune in chains and I don't think the cassettes really do that much better. I will almost certainly be getting an X.9 cassette or sommat though!

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Cheap parts on an otherwise expensive bike. What works for you ?’ is closed to new replies.