Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Cheap Mercedes estates…what about them then? Any good?
  • choppersquad
    Free Member

I would have attached this to my last thread about estates but I didn’t think anyone would see it.
    No one mentioned used Mercedes as an alternative to Audi estates.
    What are they like to live with?
    Are parts/servicing expensive?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Older, W123 era Mercedes are brilliant beyond compare.
    Mid schoolers were dire beyond compare.
    New ones are excellent again. From 2008 onwards, I’d say.

RustyNissanPrairie

Consider Volvo V70’s. Petrols are dirt cheap, fully galvanised so dint rust, huge boot space and built like tanks.

Our 2004 has been abused for years for our business and still looks in great condition inside and out and has needed minimal tinkering.

Would buy another tomorrow.

breadcrumb

Missed the other thread but I really like my Accord tourer. Seats fold down very easily, and massive load space.

Electric opening boot too 😉

mcmoonter
    Free Member

My brother’s ’98 E Class turbo diesel refuses to die. 250,000 and counting. All it’s missing are caterpillar tracks and a roof mounted gun.

PePPeR

The E class cars have a massive reputation for rust, (just like their vans tbh). But I do like them!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Father in law’s mid 2000s E-Class has done 300k miles, needed injectors along the way, but other wise been okay – it sounds rough though.

As above really, older ones – 80’s to early 90’s ones are brilliant, but not exactly exciting to drive or good on fuel – but they’re really well made and don’t look out of places in posh home county villages (if that’s your thing) and go for mega money even now – later ones rust and fall apart and are meant to be pretty terrible and then there’s the newish ones which are meant to be good again, but again cost fortunes.

If you’re only concern is VFM I wouldn’t bother, good ones cost to much and cheap ones aren’t very good – so they say.

I had a Honda Accord too, if you get Petrol one or a post facelift diesel you won’t go far wrong, huge boots, diesels are good on fuel and easily the best mile muncher I’ve ever owned – Cardiff to Morzine – easy, Cardiff to Loire THROUGH Paris on a single tank, stress free and easy.

Flaperon

If you can live with the interior smell, lazy gearbox, cheap controls, that you’re driving a hearse and the fact that every button is labelled a “something-matic” or “bollocks-tronic” then they’re fine.

I think there’s much better stuff out there for your money.

bikebouy
    Free Member

A mate has a Gold E Class 3ltrd, the one with the frog eyes, bought for £3k with 150k on it and it’s bloody excellent. It has the tan leather interior and I know what you are thinking “Yikes, Gold and Tan leather!!” but TBH it’s looking mighty fine.
    He’s got roof bars on it, tow bar too and it goes skiing every year with the family crap in it no bother and tows a 30ft racing yacht around without a nod to hills..
    😀
    It’s quite huge mind 😆

DezB
    Free Member

Surely the issue with owning a Merc won’t be the quality of the car, but the running expenses.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Neighbour got rid of his lease car and bought a C220 ( think that’s the model !!) estate to replace it. Its a 2003 car. Was written off by a plum going up the back of it recently. Local guy rebuilt it for £800, including bumper and boot floor and beam. Goes fine, stops and starts. He will run it until it doesn’t. Just gone yesterday up to Manchester for family break, so seems pretty reliable too. No rust yet !! But I keep looking at front wings and rear arches, as that’s where it starts.

surfer
    Free Member

I bought a C200 estate sport in 2011. It was a demo so saved £4k off list and it came in around the same as a nice top of the range Mondeo estate.
    It has been flawless and an absolute joy to drive with the 7 speed auto box. Average low 40’s on a run and around 38 overall.
    Done almost 80k and other than tyres which are very low and wide and expensive the servicing costs by MB motors in Liverpool are generally only a few quid more expensive than my previous Peugeot!
    Its rear wheel drive and I got over 50k out of the first set which illustrates that I drive like an old woman.
    I think it looks great as well.

P-Jay
    Free Member

@DezB if you avoid the big engine ones it’s not too bad I’m told – not Ford parts cheap by any means, but then they’re not made out of crap that’ll fail in 6 months either.

Tyres, fuel, tax etc is pretty much the same as any other car the same sort of size.

jools182
    Free Member

I had a W202 for a few years

Total pile of shit

jimjam
    Free Member

P-Jay – Member

@DezB if you avoid the big engine ones it’s not too bad I’m told – not Ford parts cheap by any means, but then they’re not made out of crap that’ll fail in 6 months either.

Tyres, fuel, tax etc is pretty much the same as any other car the same sort of size.

Not to come across as an arse (prepares to be perceived as an arse) but what’s the point in that? If we’re talking about something like an E-Class estate that’s a big heavy car, maybe 1800kg?. It’ll feel pretty gutless and lethargic without a good sized engine in it.

Petrol is cheap, and a good V8 will hold it’s value. So Alpha Mike Golf FTW.

DezB
    Free Member

Insurance?

not Ford parts cheap by any means, but then they’re not made out of crap that’ll fail in 6 months either.
    Er, 7 year old Mondeo, not had a 6 month failure on any parts here, or 6 years for that matter.. (if that was a Ford diss) 😉

tonyg2003

“cheap” Mercedes estates means that you are looking at something probably 2000-2005. The c220cdi, c270cdi and e220cdi go on for ever engine wise but rust is what you need to look out for, also until 2006 electrics are a bit poor too. I’m on my second eclass and obviously like them however for that sort of money I’d buy a MKV11 Accord (on our third Accord currently). Petrol accords are mega reliable and the tourer is not far off the size of an eclass estate.

DezB
    Free Member

Just checked the insurance and it’s not as bad as I thought – about £120-£150 more than what I’ve been looking at (Golf estate)

thesurfbus
    Free Member

Just chopped in a 2005 C220cdi estate with 90k. It was getting to the age where suspension bushes were wearing out, and had steering and brake problems. There was no rust and all electrics worked, auto box was nice to have, but performance and fuel economy were poor.

flap_jack
    Free Member

I have a 1994 W124 3 litre diesel. 210k miles.
    It’s my everyday motor. Bought for 2.5k 5 years ago.
    It’s needed a bit of work along the way but nothing major. Bit of rust on one wing but that’s all.
    30-35 mpg.
    No performance whatsoever (if I wanted performance I’d buy another R1, and after that everythong feels slow) but holds 85 all the way to Morzine crammed to the rafters without fuss and quiet enough to hold a conversation without raising your voice.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Not exactly getting a feel of total love for them then?
    Honda Accords had been suggested on my previous thread so they seem popular. They always look a bit ‘slab sided’ to me.
    On looks alone the Audi A4 seems to be winning. Just wanted to make sure there wasn’t something else staring me in the face?

jimjam
    Free Member

choppersquad
    On looks alone the Audi A4 seems to be winning. Just wanted to make sure there wasn’t something else staring me in the face?

I’m sure it was mentioned in the other thread, but since you are really looking for estates it’s worth noting that the A4 estate is piss poor in terms of boot space. Many a hatchback with better load carrying capacity.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Can vouch that Surfer drives like an old women! Happy Christmas to you and family 😆

voodoo_chile

Surfer is that the one on derby rd ?

slowoldman

They always look a bit ‘slab sided’ to me.

Plug ugly to my eyes.

So tell me, am I wrong to consider an ex police Beamer?

redstripe
    Free Member

Years ago I had a 450SLC (great but thirsty), C250D (my favourite, got to 450K miles no problem) a 98 E300 TD estate which was fine apart from bad tinworm, more recently I had a 2004 E270 TD estate, total crap, cost me a fortune keeping it on the road. Lost my confidence in them after that, although Honest John seems to say they got better again in recent years. Stick to Jap stuff now.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Mazda 6?

minichops
    Free Member

Good shout mazda 6. Recently picked up a 2009 185 SL estate and really impressed with it. Full leather, Bose ICE, loads of space, 400nm torque. Can’t comment on reliability but if I running costs turn out to be reasonable it’s a keeper.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Subaru Legacy.
    Try one. You might like it,you might not.
    Dismiss it out of hand and you’re a mook.

geoffj

E46? Not big, but I love my 330i Touring.

allfankledup

Got a 53 plate 320 cdi

Generally cheap to run / service – has minor rust issues (arches). Occasionally needs a sizeable electronic component.
    Wouldn’t go back to v70 (worse for electrics) the merc has great presence and people just get out of the way on the road

Would have an 850 again though – they rock….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

the merc has great presence and people just get out of the way on the road

dekadanse
    Free Member

Saab 9-5 TiD estate – 2004 and just hit 200,000 miles today!
    huge, well built and the 2.2 TiD engine is very reliable. Cheap as chips too.

Xylene
    Free Member

I had a saab 95 1.9td nice car but ever present high pitched gearbox whine drive me mad

Got an accord 2.2cdti exec after that lovely car huge boot remapped economical and could cruise along happily.

Mark 7 accords are cheap now

I paid 2700 at auction for a 2005 with 55k 4 years ago

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Golf R estate mate

joolsburger
    Free Member

Get the A4 OP. It’s what your missus wants after all!!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Cheap Mercedes estates…what about them then? Any good?’ is closed to new replies.