Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Cheap & nasty waterproof jacket?
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

I need a waterproof jacket for a week in the alps, but don’t want to spend a fortune on something that will probably get ripped as soon as I fall off. I want something small and light (so I can get it in my bag when not using it – which will hopefully be all the time).

I was thinking about getting one of the cheap & nasty waterproofs from Blacks, Millets, etc which pack into a small bag, has anyone got any advice / experience or can you recommend anything which fits the bill? Thanks.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Buy the cheapest you can find, it wont need to keep you warm, only dry so some sort of “boil in the bag” affair will do it.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

I got a Karrimor cycling specific one from sports direct for £12, RRP £60. It’s gopping commuter orange

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    peachos
    Free Member

yep i was gonna say sports direct as ourkidsam says – got a big karrimor sale on at the moment, you’ll def find something suitable on there.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Try TK maxx

binners

Well done ourkidsam -I don’t think we see the word ‘gopping’ used anywhere near enough nowadays 😉

Why not see if Aldi have any of their cycling softshells left. £18 i think. Better than a boil in the bag job for the alps. You will be like a mobile sauna

slugwash
    Free Member
    hp_source

Got a local decathlon?

ourkidsam
    Free Member
    Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

in some style style . . . .

dry n hot

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

You could also try a Ronhill running jacket – I used to use one in the rain with a HH lifa top during the winter and it was pretty good and packs down to a bag which you could hang from the frame – just look for an extension at the back.

Just make sure your base layers are synthetic or good when wet as well.

You shouldn’t sweat too much in that as they are designed for running.

e.g.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ronhill-vizion-rip-zip-jacket-aw10/#more

or there are several others at wiggle.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Cheers all, I think I need to try and get to sports direct some time soon.

Just make sure your base layers are synthetic or good when wet as well

I’ll be riding DH so I’ll be wearing body armour with an old cotton T-shirt on top, however if I need to wear a waterproof I’ll take the T-shirt off and just wear the jacket over body armour for the full boil-in-the-bag effect!

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

endura do a bottom of the range jacket for £40 quid which is more than you are suggesting paying but is suitable for general use when you get back

takisawa2

Unless its single figure temps, I’d sooner be a bit damp than sweat in one of them crap jackets. Just get something that will dry quickly.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

you will sweat if you are wearing a cotton t-shirt, and then get cold, esp. if you crash and have to wait for assistence – not a good idea.

Leku
    Free Member

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/royal/camo-jacket-ec019426?utm_source=email110520&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email

Royal Camo Jacket £20!

The Royal Camo Jacket is a lightweight, fully featured shower-proof jacket that stows away in its own pocket.

MussEd
    Free Member

Get to lidl…

p7rich
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered the Camo. At that price it seemed rude not to!

scaredypants

I’ve only ever taken bin-bags for ski lift akshun

never needed one though, so can’t comment on function

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Cheap & nasty waterproof jacket?’ is closed to new replies.