Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cheap lights, better helmet mount?
  • pondy
    Free Member

Picked up some cheap lights but looking into better options for the helmet mount. These use a large I ring which inhave used in the past but found they do move about and over time the o ring perish and snapped. I did notice the hope univert mount, more of a bar mount but sid wonder with some fettling the clamp my go around the supplied helmet attachment, anyone had any better mounting solutions?

Northwind

If you’ve got a gopro then it’s easy to built a little light adaptor- I don’t use the camera much these days but I still use the quick release kit for lights (tbh even if you don’t already have it, it’s still worth looking into the mounting kit)

jekkyl

I asked the same question, here: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/securing-a-chinese-ebay-light-to-helmet

after all that I still just cable tied that clunky bit of plastic to my helmet. it does stick out a lot and I catch it on branches and such.

craig24
    Free Member

Looks like this will fit

http://m.gearbest.com/led-accessories/pp_240917.html

I use the same mount, lets you use a GoPro mount.

bumper
    Free Member

The one from gearbest is great. It’s metal and fits a go pro mount perfectly.

Mine took about 2 weeks to arrive but had been opened and sealed up again, customs?

Well worth the money.

jamesfts
    Free Member

I’ve done as Northwind sugests, GoPro mount and adapted 3D printed buy a guy on here. Great solution, low profile and secure but easily removable and cost peanuts. You just need a helmet that will take a stick on GoPro mount.

jamesfts
    Free Member
    abductee
    Free Member

Plenty of these on ebay, aliexpress etc. for as little as 62p. Replace the screw. Cut off the plastic pimples. Or shorten it and drill a new smaller hole.
    Gopro tripod bridge adaptor
    A Lower profile solution is to use the existing mount and bungee it directly onto a helmet vent. You may need to buy a compatible helmet and aim the light with some strategically placed inner tube packing.

Northwind

Oh that’s clever.

Low profile is a good point, I have a universal mount I made that I can attach any light to, but my actual everyday helmet light is fitted directly onto a gopro foot to get it as low as possible, feels much nicer on the head than the same light mounted only an inch higher.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I use a Halfords helmet mount and a short piece of 10mm aluminium section drilled to mount the light. I prefer this sort of arrangement because it gets the light further forward and lessens the chance of snagging braches when on top.

Wally

Ride careful Forsafkawi, there is no way that bar will puncture the helmet on impact is there? Will it twist away?

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Wally – Member

Ride careful Forsafkawi, there is no way that bar will puncture the helmet on impact is there? Will it twist away?

I shouldn’t think so. The Halfords helmet mount is solid plastic i.e. there is no gap behind where the bar is so worst-case-scenario I’m guessing, is going to be sideways leverage to the neck. More likely I think in a frontal impact is that the light will just hinge upwards on to the helmet and probably cause damage that way.

Hey, it’s a risky sport and I have had my fair share of hospital time over the years. You either do what you love and accept the risks or watch TV. Thanks for the concern anyway Wally.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

That Hope helmet mount for £7.99 is basically the same as the Halfords one I posted which is £1 at the moment.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cheap lights, better helmet mount?’ is closed to new replies.