Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cheap laptop with stylus
  • yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Am at uni.
    Doing a lot of science-y things and am struggling to keep up with writing equations etc on my standard laptop (Hp stream cheapie) during classes – they move fast!

I think having a stylus would help for writing them out and annoting diagrams.

Any recommendations?
    Happy to buy used. Can spend up to £300 ( maybe more )

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Oh, it’ll only be used for office things or webbrowsing.
    So nothing powerful required and all files are in the cloud – getting by on a 32gb ssd fine.

Battery life is important, being able to get 8 hours of it is high priority

ampthill

You need to check that the stylus is working with a decent resolution. Just using a stylus on any old touch screen doesn’t cut it

Sent my son off to Uni’ with a Surface pro 3 which was a bit over £400. We added a £10 blue tooth keyboard rather than the expensive dedicated one. He leaves the key board in his room and just takes to tablet into uni’

I have heard DEL to a windows stylus tablet that has an OK stylus

darkplunger
    Free Member

I got one of these which I’m very pleased with. Haven’t really used the stylus much yet though.
    Very very portable!
    Transformer

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Is it just me missing the joke or does that link not take you where you’d expect it to?

I’ve been eyeing up the transformer t102 which I assume is the above link for a similar purpose and it seems the best/only budget option.

darkplunger
    Free Member

I’m really not sure what happened to the link. It was meant to take you to the t102 transformer, which is down in price again, since I bought it. Really pleased with it both as a tablet and a pc. Currys price was great but I had a row with the store manager because I refused to provide my home address, which was absolutely none of their business.

molgrips
    Free Member

One Note transposes pen scribbles into proper maths notation.

Surface 3 (non-pro) is excellent bit of kit for this. But there are loads of cheaper laptops – I’d get one where the screen doubles back on the keyboard for tablet mode. Not used one though.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Surface 3 could be a contender. I do like them. The only issue might be the keyboard being a little small – I do type a lot.

I think I need to go down to a computer shop and have a play with the styluses and type on some of them to see what is going to fit.

ampthill

You can use any blue tooth hey board. So I assume you can buy a big one

maccruiskeen

I think I need to go down to a computer shop and have a play with the styluses and type on some of them to see what is going to fit.

indeed – even using the fancy iPencil… good styluses are good, and with a good one you can write quite well with it, but they’re not as fast as a pen and pencil if you want the results to be legible later, you need to learn to slow down.

Another thing that can be an interruption is switching between stylus and typing – how you have to place the laptop/tablet to be able to write on it then type and work well in both ways – and also how well the app you’re using lets you switch between drawn and typed inputs quickly.

molgrips
    Free Member

The only issue might be the keyboard being a little small

I personally can adjust to smaller keyboards fairly easily. I have the type cover for my pro 4 and it is handy to just snap it closed and carry it about without worrying about the screen.

Del

Take a look at the chuwi hi 10 pro.
    I have one, but not got the stylus. Dual boot android and Windows 10. Pretty quick to start and shut down. Good screen. Light. Good battery life. Keyboard is good and gives extra usbs. Oh – and cheap for sure.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Ended up with an Dell Venue 11″, i5, with an active stylus for £250 off eBay.

It’s fast, loads of battery life, usb charging and Microsoft have really nailed it with Windows Ink

Happy fluid dynamics studying today

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cheap laptop with stylus’ is closed to new replies.