Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Cheap kitchen knives anyone?
  • granny_ring
    midlifecrashes

£199 for four knives is not cheap. £1.99 would be cheap, £19.99 might be OK, £199 is a pisstake on a global scale.

loddrik
    Free Member

Bloody hell. We have a few of those Global knives. The wife bought them years ago and I use them every day but I had absolutely no idea they were so expensive!!

I snapped the smallest one trying to get into the battery compartment of one of the kids toys then threw it away. No wonder the wife had a go at me.

dux
    Free Member

I’m considering it, but don’t cook professionally any more so it could be a bit much for at home. I think these will fly off the shelves at this price though, just how can Aldi sell them so low? Any ideas?

granny_ring

Jesus I was joking, how much do they normally go for!

joshvegas
    Free Member

The big one is about 100 on its own.

The bread knife is shit.

slowoldman

I have a selection of Lion Sabatiers, some are nearly 40 years old. They are perfect and will outlive me! Current price £40-60 each, so those Globals are about the same, certainly not cheap.

Oh my bread knife is superb.

jimdubleyou

We had a set of 6 and the “full” block for our wedding. I think they were going for 3-400.

Really nice balance in the hand and don’t take much to keep sharp. Can’t imagine needing to buy kitchen knives ever again.

I quite like the bread knife.

Edit: Linky

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah shame one is a bread knife, you don’t really need a decent knife for that (especially as I rarely eat bread anyway)

slowoldman

Yeah shame one is a bread knife, you don’t really need a decent knife for that (especially as I rarely eat bread anyway)

Noooo. A good bread knife is a joy. Unless you don’t eat bread of course.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

granny_ring – Member
    Jesus I was joking, how much do they normally go for!

POSTED 25 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Don’t really know why but that really made me laugh . FWIW I think Global are way over priced and not all that good but how people spend their money is no business of mine .

razorrazoo

I have a selection of Lion Sabatiers, some are nearly 40 years old. They are perfect and will outlive me! Current price £40-60 each, so those Globals are about the same, certainly not cheap.

These come up for a relative bargain price quite often in TKMaxx. I’ve picked up several over the past 10 yeas, all still going strong. Excellent knives.

seadog101

Got a couple of very nice Sabatier ones from TK Maxx a few weeks ago. a 4″ and 6″ for less than a tenner. Replacing a ones we have had for over 20 years, hopefully these will last until I retire.

sbob
    Free Member

My bread knife is so old it looks like a spatula.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Not a fan of Global knives. Slippery when your hands are wet / greasy etc.

I also took the tip of my little finger off with a Global. First day I had it too.

Wusthoff or MAC for general knives and a Sabatier cleaver for me.

hugo
    Free Member

I’m not a fan of buying a product where a big chunk of the purchase price is in covering marketing costs.

Good knives, but overpriced for what they actually are. They’re the Tag Heuer of the kitchen knife world. Decent product, but most of the brand value comes from endless marketing, and that comes at a cost.

Some good suggestions above.

nickjb
    Free Member

Sabatier is not a protected brand so there are lots of knives bearing the name. Its pretty meaningless.

nixie

The bread knife is nearly 100 normally as well. Good price if we didn’t already have the two big ones.

A good bread knife is well worth it. Slices bread with no pressure instead of squashing and tearing that a lot of bread knives do.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

My razor sharp Global (non-serrated) cuts bread better than any bread knife I’ve used.

zilog6128

What about the knife sharpener?

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-12-nov/product-detail/ps/p/knife-sharpener-2/

Is it actually suitable for a half-decent blade? Appreciate it’s not as good as sharpening by hand, but I’m assuming doing that in a ham-fisted way probably isn’t great for a blade either!

granny_ring

Think I might have a peep in TK Maxx, if I must….

lemonysam
    Free Member

We have some fancy german knives we were bought as a present but only ever really use the £4.50 Sainsbury’s Santoku knife we got a few years ago. It holds a better edge and is more nicely balanced than any of them.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Ikea actually do some pretty good ones now

midlifecrashes

Oops, seems I missed the OPs implied smiley last night, sorry granny_ring, or I was just a grumpy bastard as usual. 🙂

granny_ring

LOL and I was tired as I forgot to add the smiley 🙂 🙂

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Has anyone tried the pots and pans?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Cheap kitchen knives anyone?’ is closed to new replies.