Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Cheap-ish carbon frame 29er hardtail – what's out there?
  • Painey
    Free Member

So I’ve been looking for a bike to use to get back into racing plus some light trail use. I was initially looking at what I could get for around £1k but have since decided I’d prefer something with a carbon frame so have revised the budget a bit.

I tested a Giant XTC Composite 29er 3 last night and it was nice but I think I’d soon want to change everything on it bar the frame.

What else is there for around the £1.5k mark that could be considered? The On One Lurcher for £1.3k is starting to look a good deal but at over 1.5kg it’s pretty heavy for a carbon frame.

Appreciate any help.

nuke

Ignore the Lurcher, may as well get a Scandal, my money would go on a PX Dirty Harry

jonxmack
    Free Member

My Lurcher weighs in at just over 9kg, admittedly it’s rigid but still, it’s a pretty decent weight. Also the thing absolutely flies, went out on it yesterday and set PB’s on every segment I rode in the local woods. Could not be happier with it.

I did build it up myself though, came in at just over £1.8k for the final build (Niner forks, Hope/Stans wheels, Hope brakes, XX1 cranks, XX shifter, Reverb, etc.)

Painey
    Free Member

A friend of mine has the On One race 29er frame which he had built up with SID forks, Arch Ex rims and then the rest of their usual SRAM kit. Have to say it’s a very nice bike and he loves it.

Trying to work out if a custom build would be the best option but I’ve looked into this before and it often ends up more expensive when you’ve added up all the bits.

jonxmack
    Free Member

I think it depends if you want to buy stuff brand new (like I did because I was in a rush) or are happy to buy bits from here/ebay and build it up over a period of time. I could have got the bike significantly cheaper if I hadn’t bought the majority of the bits brand new, but then with the weather as nice as it is at the moment I just wanted to build it and get out riding!

c_klein87

check out Hong Fu FM056 same geometry as scott scale 29er, mine was 320quid posted, raced all season on mine with no isses, frame weight was 1350grams maybe slightly heavier than some but still light, save you money for the build

http://chris-noble-mtb.blogspot.com/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Cheap-ish carbon frame 29er hardtail – what's out there?’ is closed to new replies.