Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cheap Hybrid's… any good?
  • biker66
    Free Member

I’ve been using my 456 with Pikes and big tyres ,on the road for awhile now. Unless I’m making a lot of effort I’m passed by just about everyone.
    Want a new bike but not a road bike as it will have to double as a Dad mobile with child seat. Don’t want to spend a lot either as it will be kept outside.
    But I would like to ride longer, faster, easier. Hybrid or ridgid mountain bike with skinny tyres. Oh, and it will be second hand.

grum
    Free Member

You could just buy some slick tyres for the 456. Decathlon had some cheap hybrids that didn’t look too bad last time I was in there.

Lifer
    Free Member

Hybrid – mounts for racks and mudguards, 700c wheels.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Giant Escape is a cracking bike. Go for the second from bottom model and you’re laughing.

biker66
    Free Member

Yes. I really like the idea of 700c wheels. Do you think they will be strong enough ( the type that would come on a £300 complete) to carry a child on, seeing as how i like to ride a lot on bridleways, canal paths, forest tracks etc. Nothing too bumpy though.

Northwind

My brother’s Revolution Courier Race is absolutely superb… Could be called a fast hybrid, could be called a flat barred CX bike. Cleverly designed to look unglamorous, so less likely to be stolen. Solid, inexpensive parts for reliability and cheap replacement. The current one isn’t quite as good but it’s still got the right idea.

Do Halfords still do the flatbarred Gryphon? It was good too.

dknwhy

Shameless plug but i’m selling one on Ebay currently (starting bid £175). It’s a Specialized Sirrus Sport which has only done around 400 miles. Don’t ride it enough to warrant and it is bike number 5!

I ride road and mtb and got it because we were going on holiday and I could only take one bike. I used it for some long road climbs and it was pretty quick but then was fine on the cycle paths with a child seat on the back. I’d never take it on anything more than gravel tracks though as it’s more road than mountain bike.

I think what you’ll find though is that they are “jack of all trades, master of none”. Ride it on the road and it’s quicker than a mtb but still slightly slower than a road bike (1mph or so because of the upright position). Ride it on gravel tracks and you’ll want a mtb to do the rougher stuff.
    If you want something that you could commute on and take the kids on, they’re fine but i’ve had loads of rides where i’ve wished to be on something else as it’s not quite right but none where i’ve said, “I wish I was on the hybrid.”
    That being said, if I was heading on a family holiday again, i’d take it. As a 2nd/3rd bike they’re good.
    One other point, nobody nods at hybrid riders 😀

biker66
    Free Member

I really like the look of the Revolution. I also like this. Trek T10
    Bit more of a touring/grandad style bike. So ,steel or aluminum? Mmmm!
    About sizing.. I get the feeling I should go a size up from a mountain bike. I’m on an 18inch 456 at the mo. As I’ll probably be buying on ebay I won’t be trying before hand. I do see a lot of people on very big hybrids.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cheap Hybrid's… any good?’ is closed to new replies.