Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cheap Headset Press Advice?
  • mikehealey
    Free Member

Has anyone used/brought one of the cheap headset press’s that you see on e-bay?

Just brought myself a new frame, and am building my first mtb from scratch, don’t
    really want to go to the expense of a park tool for just one frame, and as I didn’t
    get the frame from my LBS, feel a bit bad asking them, that and the fact it would
    probably cost me three-four times as much as the cheap press.

Saying that, it’s a nice frame and I’m going to put a Hope headset in, so don’t want
    to damage either of them.

Any advice much appreciated.

hounslow
    Free Member

The Unior one is pretty good, use it as a secondary/spare one at work. Otherwise, tried a long threaded rod with nuts and washers?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Cyclus

paladin

I use a big bolt, nut and washers. Make sure it starts straight though, or it’ll get messy.

If the headset’s worth a few pound, and your not confident about bodging it, it’d be worth paying someone to do it right.

wwaswas

Dot Bike are doing some cheap in their closing down sale

ricky1
    Free Member

I paid a fiver or less for mine off eBay,as long as you make sure it’s straight while you press it it will be fine.

philipft
    Free Member

Same as paladin, if you live in the north west your welcome to whizz round here and use mine, probably best as a two person job without the proper press anyway!

Northwind

I own a headset press. But I don’t use it, because this works better:

mikehealey
    Free Member

Thanks for all the good advice. 🙂

Philipft, thanks for the kind offer, but living in Suffolk I’m about as far away from the Northwest as possible.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Tried an Ebay press and if your headset fit is tight it will not be fun.
    Found a soft mallet to work better and quicker.

nbt

Threaded bar, few washer, couple of bolts. I made two for a under a tenner

beefheart
    Free Member

Get yourself a bench vice.

Tiger6791

I’ve done a couple of 1000 miles on this bike now and surprisingly it’s fine. Haven’t touched the headset since it was installed 😯

Ben_H

I used an ebay one – it’s fine:

ricky1
    Free Member

That’s the one I’ve got Ben h,works a treat eh ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cheap Headset Press Advice?’ is closed to new replies.