Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • cheap GPS with barometric altimeter?
  • windysurfer
    Free Member

I’m currently using my phone and MMTracker to track my rides but the results are a bit hit and miss when I compare with my mates with proper GSP devices (mainly Garmin)

Can anyone recommend a cheap GPS device with a barometric altimeter just for recording my routes (not bothered about navigation)

cheers

dthom3uk

I have one of these:

http://www.expansys.com/globalsat-gb-580f-cycling-computer-230469

I can recommend it. Great value for the price.

deadkenny
    Free Member

To be honest, even comparing between friend’s Garmins, they all differ I find.

Barometer accuracy is also dependent on calibration and atmospheric conditions.

If you’re using Strava with a device without a barometer (phone etc) however the altitude is calculated by Strava from topographical data. On an open flat area it might actually be more accurate than the barometer if the calibration is out. A small area of rapidly changing elevation might be more accurate with the barometer though, or rather the elevation gain will be even if the actual altitude is out.

richardthird

I find the Strava Android app gives the same consistent data as most of my mates’ Garmin 800s, even when stuffed inside a bag inside a jersey pocket under a jacket. On a shit phone.

My non barometric Garmin Dakota 10 is fine for Nav and a great little AA powered device, but consistently reads about 15% less climbing whether uploading manually to Strava or via Garmin Connect.

Garmin Dakota 20 is still cheap but has the barometric altimeter and takes an SD card should you ever need it for nav.

So, if you don’t need Nav then the Strava App is fine and free.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

IME

Strava underestimates rolling terrain by about 50% as it just doesn’t have the resolution (relies on USGS data rather than OS) so the contours it counts are too far appart (but will be accurate for a single hill). Note you can chose to ‘correct’ the elevation profile from the GPS in STRAVA, so it depends which data set you’re seeing when you log in.

Barrometers are useless, if the pressure drops or rises during the day you can gain/lose hundreds of meters. But in the short term it can be accurate (as long as there’s not a sudden change in conditions like just after sunrise/set), gaining/losing 500m!

GPS elevation, while not perfect, is actualy probably the best for cycling as it responds quickly, doesnt drift throughout the day, any errors are much smaller than the size of the average hill and as long as the GPS (which it should) is taking an average over a few seconds it’ll miss out any ‘noise’.

The GPS data usualy matches the number you get counting contours on the OS maps within a few percent (so 10’s of meters in 1000m climing rides).

windysurfer
    Free Member

I seem to be about 15-20% less elevation that a couple of mates on their Garmins.I’ll give the Strava app a go and see if thats any closer

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘cheap GPS with barometric altimeter?’ is closed to new replies.