Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Cheap furniture near Leeds?
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

(boring topic alert)

Moving house next week into an unfurnished place. Need to buy almost everything, so looking to get some secondhand stuff cheap.

Have tried Poverty Aid and a couple of other charity furniture places without luck. Can anyone recommend anywhere? Need a double bed, wardrobes and drawers most urgently.

Cheers!

headfirst
    Free Member

They’re used to be an Oxfam furniture shop in Headingley, you could investigate whether it’s still there.

woody2000
    mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

There’s a place in Harrogate just off Leeds Road, behind Gladstone Street. It might even be called Back Gladstone Street. I can’t find it on the interweb though.

stumpy01

You could try freecycle.

When we moved, we stuck some stuff on their to get rid of & were getting enquiries literally within minutes, so you should snap stuff up quick once you’ve seen it.

MRanger156
    Free Member

There is the oxfam furniture shop near huddesfield and a small charity furniture shop in chapel allerton near the tesco garage.

I was in a similar position a few months ago but none of the charity shops, ebay or freecycle proved any good. Gave up and went to Ikea!

theteaboy
    Free Member

There is the oxfam furniture shop near huddesfield

Didn’t this burn down recently?

There are a couple of second hand furniture places on Kirkstall Road. The biggest is (I think) a converted pub on the right as you’re heading out of town. A friend got an ace leather sofa for £60.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You can always try the adverts in supermarkets – when I got my first place I got almost all my stuff from those ads.

carlosg
    Free Member

Don’t know where you are in Leeds but there is a charity shop up the road from me in Leeds 16. It’s at the top of Silk Mill Drive and sells stuff for peanuts (really good condition 3 piece suites for £30-£40) , It’s called St Vincents , they have a second shop a mile or so away on the junction of Spen Lane and Butcher Hill

Mowgli
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Plenty to look at… urgh 😕

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Erm, dare I suggest Ikea?

john_drummer
    Free Member

Cheap new furniture shop in bradford on manningham lane at the junction with the ring road

No idea what it’s called though.

Ikea can be pretty cheap too, one at Birstall/Gildersome

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Must be loads of places in and around Headingly for the dirty student contingent.

Oggles
    Free Member

DaveyBoyWonder – Member
    Must be loads of places in and around Headingly for the dirty student contingent.

Not that many that haven’t been mentioned. Poverty aid on Cardigan Road can be a bit hit and miss as the OP has already discovered. The Oxfam one isn’t there (just a clothes shop and a book shop now…)
    There’s a ‘vintage’ shop in hyde park corner which sells nackered old furniture at top dollar to appeal to the rahs and hipsters.

And then there’s this place, which as you suggest probably fits the dirty student contingent quite well 😉
    google maps link

dooosuk
    Free Member

If you head to Ikea…walk in through the exit and check out the Bargain Corner where they sell ex display stuff with scratches etc first.

Some of it you can’t even notice…other bits have big chunks out…but if you’re desperate and want cheap then they’ll be some stuff in there.

crankboy
    Free Member

i’ve been to the shop in Oggles link it’s actualy very good and had some really nice “propper” furniture .

And if you are genuinely pressed i reccomend this project
    Emmaus Leeds
    St Mary’s Street,
    Mabgate,
    LS9 7DP,
    Tel 0113 2484288

also try “freecycle” we put furniture tv’s and stereo on there as do others

Philby

Lots of secondhand furniture places in Leeds and West Yorkshire on this webpage:

http://www.frn.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=71&Itemid=57

Oggles
    Free Member

i’ve been to the shop in Oggles link it’s actualy very good and had some really nice “propper” furniture

There we go, I shouldn’t judge a book by its cover – I’ve only ever ridden past it and just got the impression it was junk 😉

I just remembered last year there was something called ‘green streets’ around this time (students moving out) at Brudenell Social Club – worth checking out for soft furnishings etc if you are very local – all the good stuff went pretty sharpish though.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Cheap furniture near Leeds?’ is closed to new replies.