Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cheap, functional android phone?
  • martinhutch

Dropped a plug onto my Huawei phone from the massive height of about 20cm this morning, and the result is a cracked screen.

Anyone got a super-cheap ‘brand you’ve never heard of’ smartphone they can recommend?

Decent battery life would be a plus, doesn’t need 4G, it’s basically just for keeping in touch and running Strava and Spotify, so no bells, no whistles.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member
    nbt

Just got a wileyfox swift from amazon for £99. Seem fine so far – getting two days out of a charge with minimal usage

two downsides

1) the GPS is not as good as the Moto G 4G it replaced. It works and records Strava, but takes longer to get a GPS fix when I start Strava

2) the “aux out” headphone socket works ok with heaphones but not with my car stereo.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nbt

update, don’t get a wileyfox swift. GPS is not really good enough for strava – this morning’s ride wasn’t recorded as it couldn’t get a GPS fix to start recording. GRRRR

miketually
    Free Member

For a hundred quid, get to somewhere like Grainger Games and buy one second hand. You’ll get a two or three versions old phone for about that much.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Got a Samsung Galaxy S4 mini going for £40, was on EE.
    Slight mark on the top right of the screen but all works.

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

nbt – have you got it set to high accuracy mode? Strava app just got a GPS signal inside my office in about 5 seconds.

nbt

Il’l try that now. However that really only adds by checking against wifi, doesn’t it?

edit – it was already set to high accuracy. GPS status app saus 8 seconds to first fix, currently mapping 14 of 22 satellties (although the figures avary constantly and have eben down to 7 of 18 while I have been typing)

dogthomson

Very happy with my Vodafone Smart Ultra 6, got it for £109.99 from Argos IIRC.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

What’s super cheap? I’m pleased with my Moto g4.

cynic-al
    Free Member

See hotukdeals.com for lots under £100

stumpy01

Just had an e-mail from ebuyer & found this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/660809-asus-zenfone-5-lte-16gb-smartphone-red-a500kl-2c090ww

Asus Zenfone 5 16Gb with 4G for £80.

Only negative on the reviews seems to be battery life.
    It’s got a red back, but comes with a free black case too…

Ah, they also do it with a white back…

http://www.ebuyer.com/660811-asus-zenfone-5-lte-16gb-smartphone-white-a500kl-2b089ww

dogthomson

dogthomson – Member
    Very happy with my Vodafone Smart Ultra 6, got it for £109.99 from Argos IIRC.

And less than a day after I post the above, what happens? I drop and smash my phone! FFS! 👿

carlosg
    Free Member

Blackview bv6000 on eBay the lower memory version (2gb ROM/16gb RAM) can be had for around £100 , its a bit of a brick but has stood up to my cack handedness for the last 6 months.

traildog
    Free Member

Have you looked at getting your phone fixed? It might not be that expensive from a backstreet type of shop (rather than the main shops which charge a fortune).

martinhutch

Didn’t see this pop up again. Surprisingly, despite being a spiders web of cracks for the past week, it’s still working!

Cheers all.

I’ve got an old Alcatel Idol which cracked when I sat down with it in my back pocket, that might be repairable in the meantime as a backup.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cheap, functional android phone?’ is closed to new replies.