• This topic has 11 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by cp.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cheap front light for road use
  • aracer
    Free Member

Any recommendations for a cheap front light for use on the road? Doesn’t need to turn night into day, just light the way well enough for ~20mph on road and preferably a single unit rather than a separate battery pack.

cp

What do you consider cheap?

I’m impressed with my lezyne units. 300lumens on the commuter is enough. Considering a 1250xxl or 1500xxl for serious fast unlit road and MTB use, both good value IMO compared to competition.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

cp – Member
    What do you consider cheap?

I’m impressed with my lezyne units. 300lumens on the commuter is enough. Considering a 1250xxl or 1500xxl for serious fast unlit road and MTB use, both good value IMO compared to competition.

I’d not use the 1250 for MTB purposes, although the strap is pretty secure, using it for rugged rocky stuff I can imagine it’ll soon flop up/down very easily due to the weight of the unit, hell it moves a bit when I’m using it on the roady. Plus the battery life isnt that great as you’d need it on full most of the time unless you have another light to supplement, i.e. helmet light.

For the OP – define the usage of said “cheap” light.

If you’re riding well lit main roads on a night then a small light to be seen will suffice and there are a multitude of cheap flashers, however if you’re riding on unlit country roads then something like the suggested 1250xxl is to be able to see where you’re going.

cp

It’s get the rigid mount anyway either way. Rubber straps have their limitations!

jamiep
    Free Member

I recommend this fairly regularly. £35 900 lumen one from Torchy The Battery Boy on ebay

fifeandy
    Free Member

I use the Fluxient 1xU2 as a helmet light off road, and think it would make a pretty good budget road light, quite a narrow beam so not too dazzling for drivers.
    http://www.bikelightsuk.com/front_bike_lights/fluxient_1xu2_xml2_led_single_1000_lumens_bike_light_2015_model_P595.html

aracer
    Free Member

Well it is for riding unlit roads, but I hoped the suggestion that it didn’t need to turn night into day would rule out 1000lm+ suggestions – my DIY LED bike light was only about 500lm and that was plenty for road use, even low mode at about 300lm nominal was enough (back in the day I happily used 20W halogens which IIRC were only ~200lm max). Was thinking ~£30 or hopefully less, the cheaper the better as long as it’s functional for the purpose – runtime isn’t really an issue either, likely to be max 30 mins.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Up to you but I wouldnt be without my 1250 on the back roads round here when doing 30+ mph downhill. I just switch down to the lower setting of 625 for every other time.

I’d still recommend Lezyne though, the units are very good (I have a 350 and a 1250) for an all in one unit. The 450 should be ok if you’re adamant or the roads don’t justify anything brighter which is about £30

FOG

Halfords do a pretty decent set of front and rear rechargeables for £20. Don’t know the lumen rating but fine for road riding

aracer
    Free Member

Thanks FOG – that’s more what I was thinking

cp

Look at Torchy the Battery Boy on eBay for the all in one units -they are far far better lights than the 20 quid halfords ones

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Ilove-Torchythebatteryboy

He also does great reviews / has a great light resource at:-

http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cheap front light for road use’ is closed to new replies.