Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Cheap front light. By tomorrow. Ummm…
  • submarined
    Free Member

I may be doing an MTB ride finishing after dark tomorrow night. I don’t have a front light. Or a lot of spare cash. Can you see where this is going?
    What are my options?
    Ride will only be up until 9ish or so, and I don’t plan on doing heaps of night rides, but something adequate that can be used to commute in winter would be perfect. I’d rather compromise on MTB performance and have one that can be reused on road.
    I understand that road ones tend to have a focused beam pattern which isn’t ideal off road. That fine.

Self contained so easy to switch bikes

Battery life or replaceable batteries isn’t paramount. Commute is only 45 minutes and I don’t plan on any epic night rides.

So. That’s some of silly requirements.
    The next? Err, I don’t really want to spend more than 40 quid. It’s likely only for occasional use.

Finally? Yeah, I need it by tomorrow. So deliver to store at Evans (with price match if needs be!), Amazon prime, or non silly delivery costs needed.

Suggest or scoff away!

weeksy

You could tell us where you are and someone could let you borrow one ? I have 4…

submarined
    Free Member

That would be kind, but I wouldn’t expect it, or to be honest feel that comfortable with that! Plus it will get occasional use so it could be handy, and also be a good back up if I do end up getting a fancier one later.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    submarined
    Free Member

FWE 500 from Evans, any owners on here? Cheap and gets ok reviews.
    https://www.evanscycles.com/fwe-usb-rechargeable-500-lumen-front-light-EV277488

boxelder

Where are you, as someone nearby may have a spare to sell.

yetidave
    Free Member

solarstorm X2 or whatever its called this year, £30 and delivery…oh tomorrow – good luck. Try Torchy on ebay, or maybe trout off here has some spare? Otherwise borrow one for tomorrow, then buy one from far far away delivery in a week or two.

submarined
    Free Member

Haha, cheers, will check those out. I’m in the Midlands, nearish to Stratford-upon-Avon.

middleagedmadness
    Free Member

Bought a Sahara sailor off Amazon for tow path commute ,its no where near the claimed 5000l but puts out the same as a 2000 l light I have , 3hrs on max and no battery fires over the last year , can be a bit loose on bars off road but a bit of old inner tube wrapped around the bar first sorted that

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Halfords.?

tjagain

Lidl had some basic lights in that would just about do

ianbradbury

No idea if this is any good, but it’s in budget and claims delivery by tomorrow to Strathspey, so should get to you?
    From Amazon:

Evolva Future Technology Bike Light USB 1800LM Cree with 7 Hours Runtime Original Samsung Battery Pack – Front and Back Rechargeable Set Headlight with High Dipped Beam Functions and Integrated 360 Degree Rotatable Mount

You’ll probably end up buying a better battery anyway if you go with this, but with luck it probably won’t fail tomorrow!

kayak23

I’d second the Evolva lights quoted above available from Amazon. Brilliant self-contained and a very reasonable price. I was mightily impressed with mine.

I did a short test video on mine here.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCPunw__rEM[/video]

submarined – Member
    Haha, cheers, will check those out. I’m in the Midlands, nearish to Stratford-upon-Avon.

If you get stuck, I’m in Leamington Spa and would be happy to lend you my Evolva for a test.

They don’t seem to have the exact model that I bought originally but this is similar, though it’s not self-contained sadly.
    Click click

This is the one I have and it’s brilliant but they don’t seem to do it anymore I don’t think.

tonyplym
    Free Member

Lezyne Micro Drive 450XL Y10 in Evans @ £42 looks to be a reasonable buy . . . probably not going to be up to riding at full speed over rough tracks, but sounds like your ride tomorrow is only going to dip into darkness, so this should be bright enough to get you home by.

leffeboy

I use the 300xl as my backup light to get home if the main one fails. It’s great

teethgrinder

Running 2 Evolva X8’s – one on the bars, one on helmet and they are great once fully dark. Not too good at dusk, but then no lights are, really.

Amazon seem to have stopped doing them, but the Nitenumen version is on Gearbest, but OOS at the minute.

submarined
    Free Member

Thanks very much all, and for the offers of loans, very kind.
    I’ve ordered one of the Evolvas linked to above. With my moon on a stick list i guessed I’d have to compromise somewhere, and external battery pack seemed not too bad.

Will report back post use!

J273
    Free Member

Where did you order the Evolve from as I can’t seem to find them on amazon

Thanks

submarined
    Free Member

I used the link above. It’s the one with the separate battery pack though.

J273
    Free Member

Ah right I’m looking at the self contained light myself. shame its not available anymore on amazon.

J273
    Free Member

Thanks . I’ve been after a cheap all in one. What’s the battery life like?

Is it more of a be seen light?

Ta

teethgrinder

I’ve used my Evolva versions off-road in Chopwell and Hamsterley weekly for about 6 months. The beam pattern is a bit more ‘spotty’ than I’d like, but you get used to it. Theoretical run time is just over 4h on full, but I’ve never been out that long to test it.

Running lights without wires really is a revelation!

submarined
    Free Member

Bloody brilliant thing!
    Thanks loads for the advice, turned out that half the people I was riding with had the same lights as well.

First proper night ride, ever, on trails I’d never really ridden before. That’s going to take some getting used to. Great VFM though, highly recommended.

Goldigger
    Free Member

I love the fact that you can rotate the light 360°
    Wouldn’t one just rotate their bars or their head depending on where it’s mounted? 😀

submarined
    Free Member

No. Because sometimes you need to shine it upwards from your neck, you can ride with a spooky horror film face.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Cheap front light. By tomorrow. Ummm…’ is closed to new replies.