Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cheap, fast rolling, mud clearing 26" tyres?
  • doubleu
    Free Member

My first ever ‘what tyre’ post. Had to join the club at some point 😆

I need some tyres for my hardtail and winter weather. Mainly going to be used round my local stomping grounds of ‘degla and Delamere.

Cheap – its a 26″, not fussed about wire or folding bead.
    Fast rolling.
    Mud/snow clearing – Delamere can get seriously cloggy during winter.
    Light – under 600g if possible?

Currently running some Conti X-Kings, and they are absolutly terrible.

jam-bo

bonty mud-x

zippykona

Definitely Bonty Mud. All my bikes have them and I leave them on all year.
    They go tubeless really easily as well.
    They are certainly light.

jonjonjon3
    Free Member

as above mud x, could be the best autumn/winter mixed conditions all-rounder

vorlich
    Free Member

Maxxis Beaver are good too. V similar to Mud X. I’ve ridden both and would just go with whatever is cheapest.

davewalsh
    Free Member

2.25 beaver front (although it blows your weight budget) 2.0 XR mud rear. The 2.0 beavers are laughably small.

nuke

Another MudX vote for what you’re after

…however i do find the sidewalls a bit flimsy particularly when run tubeless; Id take a bit of extra weight if it meant the sidewalls were beefed up. With that in mind, whats most like a mudx but with beefy sidewalls?

doubleu
    Free Member

Perfect, thanks for the advice everyone. Will compare the mudX and the beaver prices and get something ordered! 🙂

Northwind

I think I’ve got a Mud X in the Pile O Tyres, not much use, if you’re interested.

votchy
    Free Member

Not sure about weights but defo cheap are Geax Daturas and Sagauro, both classed as mud tyres, I can vouch for the daturas being grippy and fast rolling, the sagauros seem to roll well on my first ride on them monday but conditions not yet that muddy, gripped well in the few muddy bits I encountered, both dirt cheap at on-one and the TNT (tubeless compatible) work very well tubeless.

thorlz
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of never used Bontrager mud-x tlr team isssue. 26×2.0.
    Surplus to requirements due to now having a 29er.

£35 posted (+Paypal fees)

Email in profile if your interested

Aristotle
    Free Member

I recently re-built my shonky singlespeed hardtail from old parts lying about in the garage.

I took it for a ride around Delamere last night.

I was amazed at how well the combination of a front Panaracer Cinder and a fairly ancient rear Conti Vertical (ask your Granddad, they used to be the tyre of choice on here…) worked on the old shed through the mud of Delamere. Rolling well and very good traction.

The answer is probably,

“anything that is narrow-medium-sized with an aggressive, but open tread, pumped to a suitably not-too-hard-not-too-soft pressure”

vorlich
    Free Member

Saguaro? Mud tyre? You sure?

votchy
    Free Member

Saguaro? Mud tyre? You sure?

Doh, I meant Gato lol

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cheap, fast rolling, mud clearing 26" tyres?’ is closed to new replies.