Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Cheap entry to 29er land…?
  • Kryton57

I’m looking at a 2nd hand Singular Swift, and Genesis Fortitude Race.

Any experience of either, and how would they rate over my superb Kinesis Decade Versa rigid SS which would have to go to make way*?

Looking to see if there are any foibles that would determine one over the other, and if “29” is actually worth bothering about.

*plus I won’t want need to slam a shiney 29er on the C Card at the Bike show in a couple of weeks 😀

woody2000

Pinnacle Ramin? I keep looking at one!

£400 for the rigid version

Linky

cynic-al
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member
    …if “29” is actually worth bothering about.

Subjective – for wheels on the ground type riding, maybe.

bikebouy
    Free Member

C’mon, what with all the 29’er banter that has been raging on here for, erm… 8 years or so.. and only now you think of asking a question relating to if they are worth it..
    C’mon…

Singular Swift FTW, everyone thats ridden them loves them, designed specifically for the UK and convertable to whatever format you would like to end up being.
    If you can get hold of one that is.

Ask RocketDog (and many others) if clarification is required.

MSP

https://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3206

Genesis fortitude is pretty heavy, I have an adventure version, and like it for what it is (winter mountain bike, commuter and tourer) but I wouldn’t be putting it up against many other mountainbikes as a like for like comparison.

chakaping
    Free Member

If only somebody had asked a similar question before.

Oh

mrblobby
    Free Member

How cheap? Built up this 29er Scandal for not that much as a racing 29er experiment. 150 quid for the frame, about 500 for fork and wheels. Then maybe another 250 quid for stuff I didn’t have in the spares bin.

ahwiles
    Free Member

bikebouy – Member

Singular Swift FTW, everyone thats ridden them loves them,

i din’t.

(annoying toe overlap, and i’ve only got size9’s)

dantsw13

My Ti Fireline has come in under £1700 all in with a reverb, Manitou Tower Pro Forks, Superstar Tactic tubeless wheels, a mix of SRAM/shimano drive, Deore brakes. Light, fast, slack – and GREAT FUN!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Subjective – for wheels on the ground type riding, maybe.

My 29er wheels are quite happy in the air over some big gaps on the DH tracks 🙂

Why do big wheels have to stay on the ground?

dantsw13

My Ti Fireline has come in under £1700 all in with a reverb, Manitou Tower Pro Forks, Superstar Tactic tubeless wheels, a mix of SRAM/shimano drive, Deore brakes. Light, fast, slack – and GREAT FUN!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Why do big wheels have to stay on the ground?

I think what was being suggested was that 29ers probably aren’t that much different than 26ers if you’re doing a lot of wheels off the ground type of riding. However for wheels on the ground XC racing there many be a benefit. Not that 29ers have to stay on the ground.

Kryton57

For clarification I’m looking around the £600 mark so MSP’s post is probably most useful.

This isn’t the same bike I’m looking for chakaping, its a 29er SS rigid to replace my 26er SS rigid. But I do like the Kinesis a lot…

monkeychild
    Free Member

I paid £600 for my not even year old El Mariachi 3. eBay was my friend 🙂

khani
    Free Member

There was a s/hand Swift on the classifieds for a good price earlier..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve a medium frame languishing in the shed, £250 + post?

Selling as I bought a large el-mariachi (which is no better, just a large).

mattjg
    Free Member

Me neither, nothing wrong with it, versatile, value … but a bit dull.

Kryton57

Any thoughts on a Charge Cooker SS?

Would be interest to know 2 things;

A) how does that chrome finish fare
    B) is the rear wheel easier to remove than my sliding dropouts (it has an EBB)?

At the price I could afford to keep my Kineses for a bit until I’ve decided I’m not in love with one or the other….

vondally
    Free Member

for that price upto 600 it has to be the mk 1 scandal

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

ahwiles – Member
    bikebouy – Member

i din’t.

(annoying toe overlap, and i’ve only got size9’s)

Thats because of the silly sized clown wheels ….. stick with proper size size mtb wheels 😀

duckman

How tall are you k57?

Kryton57

5’11 and 3/4.

TheFopster
    Free Member

Voodoo. Job done. And from halfrauds too – joy!

Having said that, I understand why everyone could want a Singular. Very pretty bikes indeed and I’ve nearly bought one on a number of occasions…

Kryton57

No good – that’s just my 26er with bigger wheels which I can’t replace because my wife bought the frame for my 40th. That’s why I want to replace the SS with a SS.

ibnchris

I bought a ss rigid swift about 9 months ago and love it. Can’t really say why…since on paper it’s no way near as nice as my other bike. It just works. Oh, and get a large. I am the same size as you and started with a medium and then changed up to a large

Paceman
    Free Member

Charge Cooker’s are ace, great for woodland singletrack…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/charge-cooker-29er

chrisb57
    Free Member

Cannondale do a very nice ss for £750 rigid forks 29er .with stans crest rims 🙂

Kryton57

chrisb57 – Member
    Cannondale do a very nice ss for £750 rigid forks 29er .with stans crest rims

Where? Are you taking about a Trail SL with upgraded wheels?

Edit: oh yes, nice…. Hmmm

jamj1974

Kryton. Let me know if you decide to get rid of the Decade Virsa.

J

joepose
    Free Member

Voodoo Bizango – great bike very fast

fattylee
    Free Member

+1 voodoo bizango granted from halfords but nice bike fast and easy to single speed due to sliding dropouts.

guitarhero
    Free Member

I can recommend the genesis fortitude. I’ve got the singlespeed version and it is a very capable bike. Feels less 29ery than my kona unit, whilst maintaining all the best qualities of the larger wheels. It is certainly no commuter, tourer bike. It’s a hooligan

Northwind

Colleague of mine has the Bizango, it is a ridiculous bargain- you could easily spend a grand and get a less good bike. It even looks great.

chestrockwell

On-One Inbred? Got two mates that ride them and they rate them for the price.

Kryton57

jamj1974 – Member
    Kryton. Let me know if you decide to get rid of the Decade Virsa.

J

Will do. It’ll be March though before I can make a purchase.

Kryton57

Lol. I just sent you a face space pm. That looks good though *bimbles off to check sizing*

Are these bikes good?

Kryton57

Ah. It’s geared which means it’d take over from my 26″ Enigma. That can’t happen. :-/

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Cheap entry to 29er land…?’ is closed to new replies.