Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cheap ebay car stereos – any good
  • sideshow
    Free Member
    sideshow
    Free Member

No responses? Bah, I should have called the thread enduro car stereos. They kind of fit the picture no? not designed to play from cds, just off your phone, the kind of listening we all do anyway these days…

Maybe not good enough for your Audi but has nobody tried one?

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

They make a noise, but aren’t great IMO. They sound like pap, and generally don’t play well with other things.

You will also need to terminate the connections yourself as it is not ISO, so you will not to modify a harness to do this. Not a problem, but something you will need to do.

If you want a cheap way to make some noise it’ll be fine. If you want a higher quality sound that is OK, and won’t break up, less so, if you want the menus to be in English when the advert struggles to be in English, probably less so.

Better to find a second hand known brand, but thats just me

kayak23

Slight hijack, apologies OP(I’ve also been looking at these along with some on Amazon), but will a ‘DIN’ unit just wang straight in and allow me to listen to 6 music etc, or would you need some other equipment to get proper digital radio?

dooosuk
    Free Member

DIN has nothing to do with digital radio. It’s specifies the physical size of the hole in the dash. Head units generally come in either single DIN (180 x 50 mm panel) or double DIN (180 x 100 mm panel) size but depending on the unit it’s replacing you may need an extra conversion fascia panel.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

It’s DAB you’ll be looking for instead of DIN.

And FWIW the cheap ones are hit and miss, some are ok. Some will be utterly dire.
    When you can get a basic branded one (new) for 40-50 quid, it seems a bit of a false economy.

(DAB will be a bit more than 40-50 quid)

nigew
    Free Member

Absolute rubbish
    My son put a double din one in his car (an Audi :lol:)
    We had to mess with the wiring, it never worked correctly and messed some of the lights on his dash up.
    He decided to take it out and the removal tools wouldn’t work and had to pay someone to take the dash apart!
    He did get a full refund though when he returned it.
    Try Halfords, they have decent ones that can be fitted with a an aftermarket wiring harness

redstripe
    Free Member

I’d stretch a bit more if you can to a brand you know to guarantee a good sound – I have fitted numerous ‘budget’ single DIN DAB head units to vans and cars for friends/family etc, from experience I usually go for JVC or Pioneer and bought off ebay ‘graded’ with 12 months warranty (never needed so far) or when Halfords have a decent sale on. Look for ones that come with a USB for smartphone charging and use, plus a DAB aerial too else you’ll have to fork out another £10-20 for one. Depending on the make of vehicle you might be lucky and it’ll plug straight in, otherwise a harness adaptor or some wire joining needed. For the ones I’ve done, I have usually upgraded the speakers too to Fly or Vibe ones if on a budget, these combined with a Pioneer or JVC unit give a great sound for the money I reckon.

lucky7500

If you’re after cheap that makes a noise then just get a cheap Bluetooth speaker and put it on the dashboard.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cheap ebay car stereos – any good’ is closed to new replies.