Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Cheap downhill bike…. Help
  • flowerman
    Free Member

Hey

I am getting into dh and am looking to buy a bike, In the last 7-8 times I have gone I have used my neighbors Orange 5 which is really nice but want to buy my own. My budget is around sub £700, and am probs looking at a second hand full sus, but am unsure of which one. Would like something of reasonable spec that i would be able to take to Swinley and maybe Wales when I go next year,

Please advise

Many Thanks

Henry

kimbers

pinkbike calssifieds are a good place

check seller history to make sure it all seems legit

but
    kona stinky
    specialized bighit
    scott voltage etc
    can all be had within your budget

in good condition too if you are willing to wait for the right bargain to come along

atlaz
    Free Member

Do you mean DH or do you just mean a FS? An Orange 5 isn’t really a DH bike and saying you want to ride it at Swinley means, I guess, that you’re really just looking for a FS bike.

flowerman
    Free Member

Thanks… I agree with you there, saw a specialized big hit 2 on pinkbike last night for £550 but went within about an hour of me seeing it. Oh well

clive
    Free Member

Depends how tall you are , if you are under 5,8 this is a good starting point 😉

flowerman
    Free Member

I’m 5’7 but what bike is that? It it just the frame?

clive
    Free Member

Its a lapierre froggy , basically a spicy on steroids
    A wicked dh bike that pedals as well , In fact before I moved I used to ride it around swinley
    Made mince meat of the labyrinth 😀
    Have a look here for details

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1093383/

flowerman
    Free Member

Thanks for your help but I was looking for a bike and not a frame as I don’t really have any componants.

meehaja
    Free Member

If you are shrewed you can build up a DH bike quite well from parts, as fashion plays a big part and old parts can be had for cheap.

For your budget I’d be looking for a stinky a big hit or maybe at a push an older patriot (which although not a real DH bike, can be built up as a heavy duty do it all bike quite easily.

Forks wise, a set of older boxxers, triple 8’s or even 66’s will be a good way to go, though you will be needing a bolt through front wheel which pushes prices up. A solid back wheel is always a good idea too!

Look for upgradeability at your budget, don’t be put off by a weak link on the bike. Go for a solid frame first, as a priority and then forks and wheels as a second. There’s plenty of bargains out there!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fully-Custom-Orange-222-Downhill-Mountain-Bike-Marzocchi-Hope-Raceface-MRP-/140758372373?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item20c5da5015#ht_527wt_1138

I like that one…

(edit) though I must say I’m impressed that he has bled the brakes, but not put any oil in…

faz083
    Free Member

please don’t get triple crown forks just because they look “cool”. If you enjoyed the orange five and it was suitable for the type of riding, you don’t need 200mm of travel.

Northwind

Stinkys and bighits are good used buys, though often they’re shagged- personally I wouldn’t buy a dh bike unseen.

Buuuuuuuuuuut an Orange 5 is not at all a dh bike. it’ll do dh riding, but I’m not sure you really know what you want?

_tom_
    Free Member

Is a DH bike really what you need for Swinley? Never ridden there but from what I’ve seen it all looks pretty smooth and flattish.. £700 isn’t a lot for a complete fs unlesss you get a really good deal. Money would be better spent on a decent hardtail imo..

deanfbm
    Free Member

Swinley is very flat, very smooth and very tame. A DJ bike is perfect for getting loose there.

Unless you plan on going on uplift days/proper DH tracks often, you’re going to have the wrong tool.

athgray
    Free Member

Canyon Torque looks a nice bike for around £1600.

jambalaya
    Free Member

You can happily ride a 120-140mm travel hardtail around Swinley, plus most of Surrey Hills and Wales. If you want a FS a 140 travel bike like the five and many others are excellent choices, its a very well served market segment, you’ll get most bang for your buck buying a mainstream brand

snakeysnuggles
    Free Member

Have you seen the DH/full sus bike I can selling. I could courier. Excellent condition.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/specialized-fsr-elite-1998-excellent-cheap-mountain-or-dh-bike-300-ono

polodingalong
    Free Member

Got a Cove Peeler frame, DHX 5 and a set of 08 Rockshox Boxxer Races for sale if you’d be interested in those.

BoardinBob

Have you seen the DH/full sus bike I can selling. I could courier. Excellent condition.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/specialized-fsr-elite-1998-excellent-cheap-mountain-or-dh-bike-300-ono

£300 for a 14 year old bike???

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

I was thinking the same

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Were you thinking the spesh was close to being worth that you vintage value, or does it need a couple of years.

My advice would be to watch the DH world cup race at Val di Sole on the internet tomorrow, and if that’s the kind of riding you aspire too this could be a good place to start

Konastoner
    Free Member

There’s loads of options on Pinkbike, just a quick scan turns up: –

Norco Shore 3 Norco
    Kons Stinky Stinky
    Kona Stab Stab
    Specialized Demo Spesh
    Giant Glory Glory

an1mal69
    Free Member

I have an ’02 bigHit DH’ I’m reluctantly selling, looking around the £350 mark. I’ve had it since ’04 and can count on 2 hands the amount of times I’ve been on trail with it.. Marin trail, llandegla type stuff..not hucking down near vertical mountainsides! It’s main duties have been ferrying me the 1/4 mile to work and back (those kerbs are a killer 🙄 ).

Its perfectly serviceable, but would benefit from some new pads (contaminated with fluid last time I bled the brakes) and a new rear tyre as the current one is perished on the side walls (24″ wheel on the back).

Halo combat white wheels, Hope M4 front and rear, usual XT groupset, howitzer crank (2 rings, like I mentioned, set up more of a trail rig)

Giz a shout at ‘an1mal_69@msn.com’ if you’re interested and I’ll take some pics for you!

Cheers, Nik..

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Has no one said an Ironhorse sunday yet? Best value for money bike you can get! Can be had for around £800 secondhand. This one has sold but you get the point:
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1090106/

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Cheap downhill bike…. Help’ is closed to new replies.