Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cheap Cycling Shorts
  • butcher

Anyone know where I can get any?

Currently using Aldi commuter shorts, but they’re a bit thick and hold water. The Aldi zip off hiking trousers were better but I’ve lost weight and they don’t fit me any longer.

Looked at Decathlon but the designs are a bit meh and they seem to lack pockets.

Don’t care much about super technical fabrics. Just lightweight and quick drying.

Thinking maybe some zip off Craghoppers may do the trick, but any other suggestions appreciated.

booktownman
    Free Member

If you’re not arsed about fancy pockets and the like just buy some cheap, knee length swim shorts from the supermarket.

qfruits
    Free Member

DHB from wiggle, £25

dannyh
    Free Member

If you’re not arsed about fancy pockets and the like just buy some cheap, knee length swim shorts from the supermarket.

+1

Tesco swimming shorts (which were a little bit camo and had combat-style leg pockets), have only just given up the ghost as my summer shorts after at least two years, and I ride twice a week most weeks. On the flip side I’ve just noticed my Endura MT500 (whatevers) have come apart in the arse region after only one winter. The internal seam seal came out after about two rides.

ThePinkster

Mountain Warehouse shorts are OK for cheapies as are their zip-offs if that’s what you’re after. The zip-offs dry pretty quickly in my experience too.

booktownman
    Free Member

@Dannyh – I have something v. similar in grey camo. I use them for quick blasts, family bimbles and when the ‘proper’ shorts are still in the wash. I would use them more but find swimmers always come up a bit short in the leg if you want to wear pads with them.

butcher

I have thought about swimming shorts, and last time I bought some I actually weighed up what they’d be like on the bike…

Pockets are important though – it’s one of the reasons I like wearing shorts, as opposed to just bibs. And swimming shorts pockets tend to be less than substantial both in term of volume and durability – that said, some bike shorts are no better in this respect.

Will check out the other stuff. I’ve a few DHB items and they tend to be good value.

toofarwest

MFX baggies from Sports Direct.

spud-face

Similar to above, I just wear knee-length umbros from sports direct. Cheap, dry in no time, pockets, fit over padded shorts and kneepads when needed. Really don’t see the point in paying more.

butcher

Sports Direct are a good shout. I pop in now and again and glance at stuff like shorts, but not paid any real attention to them. But they’re round the corner from work for me, so will have a look.

duncancallum

Another recommendation for mountain warehouse.

I find the liner about the most comfortable I’ve tried

eskay

Another +1 for Mountain Warehouse. Their old shorts were awful but the latest iteration are pretty good. Lightweight outer and as stated above, a very comfortable liner. I wear them daily for my commute and they are very robust.

You can sometimes pick them up cheap if they are having a sale (around£20).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cheap Cycling Shorts’ is closed to new replies.