Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 394 total)
  • Cheap Charge Plug 5 frames on Ebay
  • coomber
    Free Member

The quality of the frame is very good. Packaging from transition was brilliant too. Hats off.

I think the orange goes great with the black but horses for courses.

scandal42
    Free Member

Orange bar tape for some carryover from frame?

Orange underside scoop saddle would be the best bet.

inbred853

Just took the plunge to build up a cheap road bike. I bought the XS frame due to being a short arse, would the forks from the same seller fit? XS frame has a 110mm HT and the forks have a 170mm steerer, so would the 60mm be enough for a head set and stem?
    Another option would be a set of cheap Chinese carbon forks from eBay, seen quite a few for sale but not to sure of quality/longevity, ie will I die if I used them!!!!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    coomber
    Free Member

Inbred you would need to measure up your stem and headset is the only way to tell – too many variables. It’s probably cutting it fine though.

scandal42
    Free Member

Just received mine, looks really nice and not as heavy as i thought.

Not sure when it will be built but I’ll get a pic up when it’s finished.

inbred853

Just received my frame today, very well packaged as previously mentioned. Still looking for a set of forks though, plenty of choice on eBay at the mo, steel or carbon? Hmmm.
    I quite fancy building it with a 1×11 set up and the new SRAM Apex looks like a contender.
    Comber – not decided on head set or stem yet, so I’ll probably give those 170mm steerer forks a miss as there will be no room for spacers if required.

scandal42
    Free Member

The Kaffenback forks are well finshed and actually look quite nice.

inbred853

Not to fussed on the Kaffenback forks, I would rather straight blades ala original Plug ones. Quite a few on eBay, just got to settle on which ones.

kamenev
    Free Member

Do those kaffenback forks come with the cantilever mounts?

scandal42
    Free Member

Disc only

kamenev
    Free Member

Thanks. Tempted to get those forks. My frame arrived last week too. Next day delivery. Frame looks very nice. Can’t believe how skinny the tubes are. Unfortunately I won’t be able to build it up until funds allow.

gringo

Tempted by one of these for no real reason…6’2 here, not sure whether I should be looking at large or XL. Any thoughts?

nicholas_yiu

Nearly got mine built up now. Slowly taking it 20 mins a time before work in the morning.

One thing you need is a front mech bottom pull converter because the front mech cable routing is from the top. That is unless you manage to find a top pull road mech or run a mtb front mech or 1x.

Also trying to find a clean solution to tie the front brake cable to the forks as there is no cable mount on the on-one forks.

Andy

This thread needs pictures 😀

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Yes pics please. I’m looking at the Genesis Cdf fork, the carbon one. Everyone else using the planet x one?

drewd

One thing you need is a front mech bottom pull converter because the front mech cable routing is from the top. That is unless you manage to find a top pull road mech or run a mtb front mech or 1x

The Plug 3 used the current Sora, and the Plug 4 the 10 speed 105 groupsets, so a front mech from either might be worth checking out.

The Plug 5 used Sram I believe, as well as having Tange Prestige tubes rather than the Tange Infinity on the 3 and 4 frames, but I expect the cable routing would be similar.

coomber
    Free Member

If copying and pasting the IMG forum link worked on photobucket I’d post a pic.

Unfortunately my planet x forks have a ding so awaiting a replacement to be sent.

Haven’t thought of front mech. I have a tiagra 4600 group set going on it. With bb7s and whatever wheels a friend is selling me

scandal42
    Free Member

Shimano Cyclocross FD-CX70 is top pull

kamenev
    Free Member

The cx70 top pull is from the same generation as tiagra 4600 so will work with their shifters. I picked up some st 4600 for £76. I think Merlin has them for £80.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Blimey! That was quick, ordered yesterday afternoon and here today. Very well packed and the frame is really nicely finished. A large btw is weighing in at 2215gm. I choose the large frame and at 5’10 I reckon I’m right on the cusp, will have around 160mm of seatpost showing and probably around an 80mm stem. I went for the large because of the longer headtube and a bit more compliance from the frame. This won’t be a weenie build by a long chalk but if I can keep it in the 20lb ballpark I’ll be happy, carbon forks should see me on the right track.

ianpv
    Free Member

What is the rear clearance like on these? Any idea on the biggest tyre you could fit?

atlaz
    Free Member

28 leaves LOADS of clearance I reckon the rear will do high-30s low-40s. Not tried though to be fair.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Chainstay at its very narrowest is 45mm.

ianpv
    Free Member

thanks. Those Kaffenback forks say 32mm clearance – is that with a mudguard? Think of using my equilibrium as a donor build for something with discs that would be able to go more offroad. I’d want 35s at least…

nicholas_yiu

Unfortunately, I run a triple so the CX70 wouldn’t work for me. The frame even have the boss for the bottom pull converter so I just fitted one and use the front mech from the donor bike. Only £3 from Planet X as well.

scandal42
    Free Member

Do you have a link for the adapter?

Struggling to locate it

nicholas_yiu

This is mine built up finally. No time to ride today though as been in Swinley in the morning already.

Please don’t comment on my overgrown garden

And this is what I meant with the converter.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Had a ride yet? What size are those tyres, 32’s?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

And what forks did you choose?

nicholas_yiu

Only had a ride out the front of the house to check the shifting and brakes. They are the planet-x forks sprayed with the rustolium version of plastidip. Still waiting for some pictures with the orange forks before I get them powder coated properly.

Can’t remember what size the tires as they came with the wheels used. All I know is they are tubeless racing Ralphs. Will check when I get home later.

scandal42
    Free Member

£4 postage for that adapter 😯

wicki
    Free Member

Are these frames still available I cant see them on ebay?

drewd

£4 postage for that adapter

Just checked my Plug 3 and it also uses that adapter. Is there anything else you need for the build from On One/PX to justify the postage cost?

If not I’ve read that some Ultegra front mechs are top pull. Something like this might work, depending on your chain ring sizes. I’ve no first hand experience of it though, I am still using the Sora kit that came on mine.

Has anyone that has built these up weighed them? I am curious to see how much heavier mine is.

mcj78
    Free Member

Drewd – I’ve got one of the older Tange Infinity frames too, i think Charge made the Filter from Prestige at first but then swapped to save on costs – remember seeing a quote from them saying the weight penalty wasn’t much but can’t remember what it was exactly…

I’ve mine built up with Sram Apex, Thomson stem & post and wheels I built up on novatec hubs and Halo Aerotrack rims and mine is 25lbs, could probably knock a fair amount bit off with a lighter groupset / carbon fork etc but it rides really nicely so don’t notice the beef too much!

drewd

Drewd – I’ve got one of the older Tange Infinity frames too, i think Charge made the Filter from Prestige at first but then swapped to save on costs – remember seeing a quote from them saying the weight penalty wasn’t much but can’t remember what it was exactly…

I’ve mine built up with Sram Apex, Thomson stem & post and wheels I built up on novatec hubs and Halo Aerotrack rims and mine is 25lbs, could probably knock a fair amount bit off with a lighter groupset / carbon fork etc but it rides really nicely so don’t notice the beef too much!

Thanks mcj78. I weighed mine when I got it and it was 11.7kg, which is about 25.7 lbs so fairly similar. I feel the same about the weight of mine, although the reviews mentioned the stock wheels were heavy. I’ve not weighed them though.

eviljoe
    Free Member

These frames look great,

Very itchy trigger finger..

Any real world experience in terms of sizing?

I’m 6’3″ normally take a 19″ -20″ mtb, hesitant to get an xl plug in case it is too long..

Cheers!

Joe

eviljoe
    Free Member

wzzzz
    Free Member

A clement xplor MSO 700 x 40c fits and spins, but theres only a few mm of clearance either side at the chain stay. A buckled rim might be a ride-ender.

Also the chain stay and seat stay bridges are also too close for comfort (no chance of guards and very little mud clearance).

Realistically a 35c in the mud is all you would want to run. You would probably get a mudguard in for road use with a 35.

A shame really as there is bags of width at the seat stays and it would be dead easy to DIY crimp the chain stays for more room there.

Just the bridges are too close for comfort for a 700 x 40c. Still its a bargain frame for commute/cx/adventure, just maybe not monster cross!

Having said that, if you run a 650B wheelset, wearing 650b x 40 gives a similar rolling radius to 700×28 and the frame would have enough clearance with the tyre in that position (5mm either side?). A 650b x 50 (650 2″ mtb) would leave plenty clearance at the bridges, but you would want to DIY crimp the chain stays to get 5mm clearance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNX90sKhg0Q

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 394 total)

The topic ‘Cheap Charge Plug 5 frames on Ebay’ is closed to new replies.