Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cheap carbon monoxide alarms?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Probably not four words that should be placed together but just wondered if anyone had bought one recently. Seen/heard a few nasty stories of late and even noticed my really small old school coal supplier has stuck a poster up about the dangers of solid fuel heating.

wrightyson
    Free Member

On reflection, after a quick flea bay search they don’t seem expensive. Thought they were all 30-40 quid plus. So are the 10-15 pound ones any good??

meehaja
    Free Member

TBH the stick on dots are a good indicator of a problem (if you change them from time to time) Our fire was leaking a very small amount. Not enough to kill, but enough to develop into a real problem in the future.

I now have a “dot” thing next to each fire in the house and electric alarms in the basement and upstairs.

wallop

Check out your local big supermarket – often reasonable prices in there.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Nice way to go though apparently. 🙂

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

We were “encouraged” a few years back to get one (MIL factor!).

A bit of research led us to “Kidde”. Sorry I cant find the test of various models – but I agree – some of them are effectively just plastic bricks. And the internetz full of scares.

Anyway £20 later – we’re still alive. Doubtless we would still be alive and £20 richer apart from MIL – but still. It’s winking away at me now as I type.

Reading that back – it’s not much help really is it?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Seen the kidde ones on flea bay. It’s not that I don’t trust the guy who fitted my fire etc but it’s been in a coupla yrs now and does get some hammer!!

totalshell

the cheapest alarms are at Llyods pharmacy ( i buy in bulk from them and dont get a discount)
    what sort of alarm is the little dot.. whilst its changing colour your dying ffs
    if your alarm goes off it is not faulty its carbon monoxide and it KILLS YOU DEAD

paulosoxo
    Free Member

meehaja – Member

TBH the stick on dots are a good indicator of a problem (if you change them from time to time)

Just as long as you make sure you’re looking at it as you’re being poisoned.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

totalshell- Is it me that’s sober /sensible on a Tuesday, or everyone else? In other words – I’m lost – should we all buy Lloyd or should we avoid like the plague – or am I dim?

bedmaker

I’m guessing they are cheaper now since becoming a legal requirement (in England) since 2009 I think with solid fuel appliances. Lots more of them around.
    I’d be quite happy with a CE marked cheapy from Tesco

shaxi
    Free Member

thanks for your posts ,helpful ! 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cheap carbon monoxide alarms?’ is closed to new replies.