Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cheap car hire Austria?
  • hammerite
    Free Member

Going to Austria skiing at Easter flying in to Salzburg. Planning to hire a car, car hire from Salzburg airport seems to be expensive and according to a lot of the price comparison sites we’ll get an out of hours charge as it’s a Sunday.

Any ideas, tips or hints?

hammerite
    Free Member

Anyone?

Mr-Rubble
    Free Member

have you tried buchbinder? Its best to give them a call.
    http://www.buchbinder-rent-a-car.at/?L=1

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hammerite
    Free Member

Tried them online MrR, will try calling though, thanks.

flatfish
    Free Member

We were charged around £500 for 5 days last easter, hiring from Innsbruck.
    Were looking to go back again this easter but when you add £800 of flights to the £500 car hire we’ve decided to drive from Bristol which should cost us £450-500 return, thats including the Chunnel.

Austria seems to be very expensive for car hire.

hammerite
    Free Member

FF – I think there’s a premium added for the winter tyres which are compulsory that time of year (some of the quotes say “include €x charge per day for winter tyres), seems a bit off to charge more for something that’s compulsory. It’s the only reason we’re not driving – we haven’t got winter tyres sorted. What sort of car did you have?

If we flew into Munich car hire is a lot less, but then you pay extra for winter tyres if you’re taking the car in to Austria.

flatfish
    Free Member

Volvo V50 currently fitted with winter tyres. 😉

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I did a tour of the Alps ,Bavaria and Dolomites last year taking in Salzburg.Flew into Munich and picked up a hire car from Sixty.

Originally booked a VW EOS (but was upgraded to a Merc E class cab). 🙂 Cost was £300 for the week.

Marge
    Free Member

I’ve used Easy Motion in Austria previously. (from Vienna airport)

It was certainly a good price. Normally use Avis but for one reason or another they were fully booked for one of my trips.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I paid £260 for 7 days at Innsbruck last week via Budget (Hertz) – Winterised Renault Megane Estate; got upgraded to a Skoda Yeti.

hammerite
    Free Member

FF – sorry I meant the hire car you got – not what you drive now 🙂

Buzz – that seems quite reasonable for that level of car.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Austria always seems expensive for car hire.
    I tend to fly to Munich and hire from there. Flights will be cheaper too in all probability. If you’re heading to any resort up the Inntal Autobahn, then Munich will be comparable distance and time.

I’ve just booked a Focus for 7 days at Feb half-term for about £125 inc winter tyres.
    That was through this “Halifax one-account” URL that gives 15% discount at Holiday autos.
    http://www.holidayautos.co.uk/cgi-bi…ff=xoneaccount

The car hire that I selected was through Thrifty and included Winter tyres as a no-cost option during booking.

& about £15 back via Quidco on top of that.

[Edit] Just realised explanation is probably necessary: To stack both saving, you must go through quidco first, then type/paste the URL above into web address. Don’t forget to clear cookies first. [/Edit]

flatfish
    Free Member

Pug 308

hammerite
    Free Member

Thanks all. On further investigation the out of hours charge doesn’t seem to be for a Sunday collection, but because the Sunday we head out is Easter Sunday so a lot of them are shut. Fired e-mails off to the companies with bases at the airport to check standard opening hours for that day.

Didn’t really factor that in when booking the flights (Easter Sunday a lot cheaper to fly out than the day before).

grum
    Free Member

Thanks all. On further investigation the out of hours charge doesn’t seem to be for a Sunday collection, but because the Sunday we head out is Easter Sunday so a lot of them are shut.

I dunno, I seem to remember a lot of them try to charge out of hours fees for saturday too!

hammerite
    Free Member

Ended up hiring from Hertz directly. No Sunday out of hours fee, or Easter Sunday fee.

There was a fee for them to pass on my details to the local council for a speeding fine though 🙁

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cheap car hire Austria?’ is closed to new replies.