• This topic has 31 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by sorrysnail-spam.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Cheap but good cordless drill
  • shermer75
    Free Member

So I need a reasonably powerful cordless drill. Ikea do a 14.4v one for £40, has anybody bought and tried it? I can’t really spend much more than £50 so if that really is too low to get something worth having then I guess I’ll carry on borrowing my neighbour’s lol 🙂

gummikuh

I think the IKEA drills are made by SKIL, but they will be very gutless, I used to be an IKEA store carpenter and we would use them rather than walk back to the workshop, they are woeful.

You would be better off getting a second hand Makita 10.8v drill, they are cheap now as they have been replaced with a newer battery system, I use them every day as they are light to use. Seem pretty indestructible.

globalti
    Free Member

Ryobi stuff is affordable and perfectly good.

nickjb
    Free Member

I don’t think you’ll find a cheap but good cordless. Even the middle range brands like ryobi and bosch green will be over budget and they are ok rather than good. Second hand is a good option. You risk buying a duff battery but there are some bargains to be had. What do you want it for? You might actually be better off buying two. A cheap drill driver for screwing and light drilling and a corded drill for bigger holes and masonry. I think your £50 budget would actually stretch further that way.

If that ikea one is made by skil I actually find their stuff ok. Maybe get the £30 non hammer one and a cheap corded drill. There’s quite a few under £20

revs1972
    Free Member

Screwfix have a couple of Titan models at your price point.
    2 year guarantee . Most of their kit is ok as long as you don’t lean too hard on it

shermer75
    Free Member

Thanks peeps, some good tips there, I might go second hand then. Something that will drill into masonry was what I was looking for…

globalti
    Free Member

Then buy 240 volt.

hooli

I got one of these the other day, haven’t tested it in anger yet but seems well put together.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-tti699com-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/4908p

scaredypants

Something that will drill into masonry was what I was looking for…

[quote]Then buy 240 volt. [/quote]
    I’m sure that’s bang on, esp for 50 quid
    (IANAB)

5lab

if you’re drilling into ‘proper’ masonry (not just breeze blocks, which are pretty soft), SDS is the only way to go – like a hot knife through butter. Bosch’s is £90, but screwfix have a titan for £50 that might do the job.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I might go second hand then.

I would avoid second-hand cordless as the batteries are likely to be knackered. Why would anyone sell a cordless drill if there was nothing wrong with it and the batteries weren’t knackered? I usually replace/upgrade when the batteries need replacing.

I agree with the “get a corded drill” suggestion. There is no point getting cordless imo if cordless isn’t necessary, especially if the drill isn’t used very regularly.

Btw is “what cordless drill?” the most asked question on the chat forum? I think it probably is! 🙂

kayak23

I just bought a Titan sds plus breaker which I’ve been attacking old concrete fence post footings with.
    Seems very solid and well made so perhaps Titan are worth checking out for your dough.

goldfish24

Whilst I love my expensive makita cordless I still turn to my cheap 240v for masonry work.

cloudnine
    Free Member

I use a Cheap and cheerful cordless (Parkside) from Lidl which has a 3 year warranty and a Bosch Blue SDS for any holes in masonry.

Currently on the look out for a good deal on an Impact driver

shermer75
    Free Member

if you’re drilling into ‘proper’ masonry (not just breeze blocks, which are pretty soft)

I might be meaning breezde blocks. For drilling into a supporting wall, that sort of thing! 🙂

revs1972
    Free Member

What drill are you borrowing from your neighbour? Perhaps you could persuade him / her to upgrade 😆

shermer75
    Free Member

What drill are you borrowing from your neighbour? Perhaps you could persuade him / her to upgrade

Haha I wish! It’s a Bosch, seems small but does loads. No chance of an upgrade there unforts!! 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

Btw is “what cordless drill?” the most asked question on the chat forum? I think it probably is!

I think it might be- page 1 when I googled the Screwfix Titan drill 😉

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=screwfix+titan+drill+review&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=9wa3WNC4EMWAgAbKsCs

colp

That’s a life changing tool, right there.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I got a Dewalt cordless for £100 with two batteries. It’s 4 years old now and will go through masonry no bother. I’ve mixed player with it too. Twice your budget. But worth it in the the long run. I don’t see myself ever buying a corded drill. Such a faff with extension leads!

sockpuppet

For the masonry drilling corded is the way to go. Fresh bits too, and you needn’t break the bank. I got a set of five from screwfix for a tenner and they’re giving good service.

An electric screwdriver and corded drill would be my take on that budget.

shermer75
    Free Member

So. What is the difference between a hammer, percussion and rotary drill? I noticed you also get rotary hammer and rotary percussion. Whaat?!?

http://www.makitauk.com/products/drills.html

Drac

Lidl have them in from next Thursday for £29.99

matt_outandabout

Don’t touch Ryobi. One battery burst into flames on first charge. One lasted a year. One just made two years. In addition the motors seem weak – the first drill of flaming battery hell was giving up after a couple of days, my current one is two years ish and motor squeals away.

Homebase had some new brand in last week. Impact driver and drill with two LiOn batteries and brushless, all with five year guarantee for £99. I’m tempted….

Cougar

I think it might be- page 1 when I googled the Screwfix Titan drill

Let me help you with your Googling:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site:singletrackworld.com+what+cordless+drill

pocketrocket
    Free Member

At that price range forget anything cordless to drill masonry.
    Having had a quick look at screwfix this is your best bet, however it’s a tenner over budget.
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-erb654sds-2kg-sds-plus-hammer-drill-220-230v/6613h
    There is a sds titan one in budget, which is a great drill but it’s huge! ( I was breaking up some concrete with one the weekend )

shermer75
    Free Member

Let me help you with your Googling

Er…not quite what I meant! 🙂 Just agreeing with Ernie because a link to the singletrack forum came up when I was googling cordless drills lol

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So. What is the difference between a hammer, percussion and rotary drill? I noticed you also get rotary hammer and rotary percussion. Whaat?!?

Well since no one else has had a go I’ll have a go at explaining the difference.

I use two terms “percussion drill” and “rotary hammer drill”. A percussion drill uses ordinary masonry bits (when on the hammer setting) in ordinary chucks – the same chuck as for wood and metal bits. They spin fast with a shallow hammer action. They are fine, and very fast, for soft material such as soft brickwork/blockwork.

Cordless combi drills are percussion drills – they can be adapted for drilling into wood or metal, and, masonry (hence combination drill). They can also be used as screwdrivers.

Rotary hammer drills use SDS drill bits inserted into an SDS chuck. They spin much slower and have a deeper hammer action. They are ideal for hard material such as hard brickwork and concrete. Wood bits are available for SDS chucks and can be used with the rotary only setting, although this is slower than an ordinary/percussion drill. I have never seen metal (HSS) bits for an SDS drill. Rotary hammer drills can’t be used as screwdrivers.

You can get cordless SDS drills but they are much more expensive than corded SDS drills as they require batteries with a lot of guts.

HTH

BigJohn

I’ve got a few drills and an impact driver as I make and fit furniture. This week I’ve got to put up 16 sheets of Hardiebacker cement board in a bathroom with brick walls and each sheet needs 9 screws. My makita lxt cordless was showing signs of distress during the first sheet. My big sds would have filled the house with thick dust and frankly it doesn’t do 5mm holes. It would have left a trail of destruction.
    So I nipped down to B&Q and spent £24 on a corded Macalister corded hammer drill.
    Works a treat, much better than the lovely and expensive Makita but I think it will be dead by Friday, having given its life valiantly.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

colp – Member

That’s a life changing tool, right there.

He speaks the truth.

I’ve got a DeWalt 10.8V Li Ion impact driver and it’s a great tool. Small, light(ish) but robust enough for heavy DIY use, though I’m not sure how it would stand up to brutal daily professional use – but IANAB. Came as part of a twin set with a drill / driver – so two batteries.

The drill is a bit gutless – fine for pilot holes in wood but that’s about it.

I also have a 14.4 cordless ‘Hammer’ drill. It’ll take on harder jobs but won’t tackle really hard bricks or concrete.

For those jobs I use a bogo standard 25 year old Black & Decker corded hammer drill. It’ll tackle pretty much anything I’m likely to throw at it – the only irritation is that it has an old fashioned chuck with a key.

I’d echo the above – if you’re drilling masonry get a corded drill. Needn’t cost much. If it’s heavy work get an SDS drill if budget allows.

And if you’re driving a lot of screws, ditch the drill/driver and get an impact driver. Until I had one I never realised the difference

BTW – impact driver is great for (undoing) disc rotor bolts. And re-fitting provided you take care and finish them with a hand tool

matt_outandabout

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/ozito-power-x-change-18v-2-piece-drill-driver–impact-driver-kit-389394?_$ja=tsid:49590|cid:320624896|agid:13855315336|tid:pla-97689151956|crid:82730415496|nw:g|rnd:13615883167593377355|dvc:m|adp:1o1&gclid=COCEpo-xt9ICFcEcGwodntoLZA

BigJohn

Update on the £23 Macalister. It’s gone through the first 100 holes in brick a treat and doesn’t show any signs of dying yet. Nice to work with and I know my Makita cordless would have struggled and taken b 5 times as long.

It’s gone through 3 5mm masonry bits. Roll on tomorrow. Only complaint is I need to wear ear defenders.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Cheap but good cordless drill’ is closed to new replies.