Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • CHEAP BUILDS!
  • brad93
    Free Member

Hi, I’m thinking about building a hardtail but want to build one under £500. I am thinking about going steel (perhaps on one or cotic)

Just wondering if you guys could post some pics of the builds you have done 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

Pretty sure this cost just under £500 but I already had a load of the parts.

love it apart from the forks.

brad93
    Free Member

Nice! What frame is that?

D0NK

Says blender* on the down tube, presume it’s a steel one -tom-?

*Charge blender

_tom_
    Free Member

Yeah it’s a steel charge blender. I thought they only did the ti ones in this finish so was well pleased when this game up for sale as I love raw frames! really not a fan of the sektors though, gonna try a harder spring but otherwise they’re going and being replaced by something less spongey feeling.

matt_outandabout

Classifieds for the win….
    There are some properly bargainlicious, well looked after bikes on there for £4-600. Don’t build, buy complete.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I think I did my BFe for under £600 with a new frame but I already had forks, front wheel, tyres, bars, stem and gears.

Actually writing that down doesn’t really seem like a bargain does it.

matt_outandabout

For example: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/on-one-scandal-complete-bike-with-hope-hoops-16-400-last-try

Say you got for £350, that leaves you £150-200 to faff with new tyres and drivetrain if it needs.

brad93
    Free Member

Damn that BFE is nice!

brad93
    Free Member

Yeah, I saw that earlier matt. I think I will see what it’s like and get some photos 🙂

brad93
    Free Member

Only thing is though, it is pick up only :S

I_Ache
    Free Member

Thanks brad.

matt_outandabout

Speak to the man, there can be ways and means… he is desperate for a sale..

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Frame, forks, seatpost, clamp, headset, BB, spare BB, geared dropouts and spare headset: £265
    Saddle: Free from a friend
    Cranks, pedals, brakes, front wheel, tyres from spares bin
    SS cog, front chainring, bolts, chain and spacers: £90 from Charlie The Bikemonger
    SS specific rear wheel (Arch EX on Hope Pro 2) from Classifieds: £90
    Easton Havoc DH 15mm rise 750mm bars: 32.50
    Headset spacers: 2.99

I make it £480.49?

Could have built it cheaper if I wanted I reckon. The bling makes me want to ride it more though!

brad93
    Free Member

curiousyellow that is nice 🙂 and matt, do you know of any decent courier services that you or someone you know has used in the past?

chilled76
    Free Member

I built this today. No idea what I’d spent as it was all parts from old builds

If you are anywhere near Nottingham I’d take £450 collected for it

Link

h4muf
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2011 pipedream scion 853 for sale in large if any good?

In budget too.

brad93
    Free Member

chilled76, I had a look at that earlier but it is too far away 🙁

Large is too big h4muf

brad93
    Free Member

What do you guys think to Genesis Alptitude?

[/url]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321360002747?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Looks like a good deal if you managed to buy it!

munrobiker
    Free Member

Just had a weekend riding this. With an extra £100 I could have bought the bits I already had.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/owning-just-one-bike-is-silly

brad93
    Free Member

Just had a weekend riding this. With an extra £100 I could have bought the bits I already had.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/owning-just-one-bike-is-silly

That is a very nice bike! Would you consider selling the frame when you are done with it?

And Curiousyellow, the Genesis went for like £600 in the end! Wish I did get it though but I got outbid at the last second 🙁

munrobiker
    Free Member

Brad- I could be persuaded. Looks like I may need it for at least a month or two though.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I_ache’s and Tom’s bike’s are pretty much what I’d build with sensibly limited funds.

Having said that, £500 but I had the xxx is nonsense. I guess, for many rigid builds anyway, the frames are a similar price to the wheel set and to the forks.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

If I had £500 and nothing at all to add to the build I’d be on the lookout for a hardtail on Pinkbike, the Classifieds or eBay.

I think On-One were doing a Middleburn, Reba SS version of the Whippet for £800 in a limited run a long time ago. The frames were an awesome lime green and yellow. You see them pop up now and then 2nd hand.

brad93
    Free Member

Cheers guys, I’ve bought an On One Scandal off the forums on here 🙂

matt_outandabout

brad93
    Free Member

Picked up the Scandal today and had a quick blast on it! Got to say that I love it 🙂 just needs some different bars on and I want to change to a 1×9 set up and I’m all good 🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘CHEAP BUILDS!’ is closed to new replies.