Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cheap brake disks off Ebay – Fairy conomy?
  • prawny

Checked the rear pads on my commuter over the weekend and noticed they’ve developed a bit of a groove in them, checked the rotors and they’re getting quite thin!

Thought I’d get them replaced before the winter really kicks in, but don’t want to spend much, is there a difference between the ones I can get for a fiver on ebay and the ones that get bundled with cheap tektro brakes?

Or will I die?

stevextc
    Free Member

The biggest difference I found in off-market brake pads is the variation.
    Same pads and some worked really well (say 90% working) and others didn’t….(30% working)

Perhaps it’s more about manufacturing consistency… I might have been lucky and got a 110% set but they a lll started off good then some just seemed to glaze real quick ????

prawny

Pads are fine (well not fine but I have spares), it’s the rotor itself I’ve managed to wear out.

stevextc
    Free Member

I’m thinking the same variation as pads except the cheap ones rust… I have one cheap Clarks I got for spare wheels and it’s rusted and the Shimano/SRAM ones same conditions haven’t.

This is single track only as well, add in salt on roads and ???

teethgrinder

180mm Lifeline rotors on Wiggle £5. Work like arotor should.

Edit…linky

prawny

That lifeline one would be perfect but I’m only after 140mm. Unless someone comes on with a horror story before lunch time I’ll order one off eBay and see what happens. I’ll report back if I don’t die.

ajantom

I’ve got a couple of pairs of eBay ‘Avid’ rotors that cost £5 or so a pair from China.
    Been fine for a couple of years.

tone46
    Free Member

Got 180mm lifeline disc’s front and rear with uber semi metallic and deore calipers. Over a year old absolutely no problems. Bargain.

zilog6128

In a very similar situation to OP, don’t fancy buying another pair of Hope floating rotors for £70 so will give the lifeline ones a try!

P-Jay
    Free Member

TBH non-fancy Shimano discs aren’t expensive and work well. I’ve only ever seen one disc failure in 12 years of riding but it was a very messy affair.

downhillfast
    Free Member

I’ve had a few cheapy rotors off eBay over the years, I’ve had ones I bought unbranded but when they arrived had Avid printed on them, they were absolutely fine.
    Only ever had one issue and that was that the disc actually seemed a but thicker than normal, so took a bit of adjustment of the caliper to get things working smoothly.

prawny

Sweet, just ordered a 140mm rotor from a UK seller for £3.75, I’ve got a spare 160 in the garage that came with my replacement Clarkes brake for when the front goes, that looks fine for now though.

I think I’m going to have a look at my braking technique, must be dragging the back too much.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got some of the eBay avid copies on my cross bike and they’ve worked so far, hopefully they don’t fail in a a blaze of grinding sparks this weekend on the 3 Peaks or I might be spending some time in hospital 😆

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cheap brake disks off Ebay – Fairy conomy?’ is closed to new replies.